Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Stockpile Behavior  (Read 803 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Odd Stockpile Behavior
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »

Apparently if you take a stockpile and de-designate the area between two of more chunks of it (so that the stockpile doesn't exist between said chunks), the chunks all consider themselves to be a single stockpile.

???
I have no idea how the dwarves decide what part of the stockpile to put stuff in. Presumably they put items in the one closest to them.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Stockpile Behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:39 pm »

I suppose they treat it the same as if it were one stockpile with something blocking a big strip down the middle.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:49:33 pm »

Yeah, you can use this to make oddly-shaped stockpiles, by designating a large rectangle and then cutting chunks out of it.

Dwarven logic for which square to stick things in is, like with most dwarven decision making, weird. They seem to favor the upper-left corner, but they don't always use it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:26:42 pm »

It helps with symmetrical storage. Too bad it can't work with more complex shapes.

Hopefully it can be a feature to extend/draw out stockpiles easier without having to completely replace them. With my more oblong symmetry storage (for further separations), it gets rather difficult, and I have to assign entire segments instead of individual small alcoves within.

It would also help with stylish storage patterns. You know, for further dwarviness in design. Especially for dining rooms or military. You know, like an armory in the shape of your choosing (like a logo, coat of arms, or something). Even fractal storage.

Pretty much, it would be fewer stockpiles while retaining a sense of styling/further customizing. Then again, there could be some bizarre methods of abusing it. I don't know how, but there would be.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:32:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:53:25 pm »

It helps with symmetrical storage. Too bad it can't work with more complex shapes.
You can undesignate one square at a time and make a complex shape that way. Unless you were talking about something else?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:31 pm »

Hmm... you could use this to make a "fuse", a long stockpile full of booze/lignite/anything flamable leaning to... something... a giant booze pile under your entry corridor?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:58:40 am »

Hmm... you could use this to make a "fuse", a long stockpile full of booze/lignite/anything flamable leaning to... something... a giant booze pile under your entry corridor?
[/quote
Now that is a cool trap.
Ignition could be an issue though. Magma?