Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: The revolution is being televised.  (Read 11417 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: The revolution is being televised.
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2009, 08:27:22 am »

Somehow, I've got a feeling that it all will just slowly die. Revolutionaries will get tired and disillusioned, and most probably just leave Iran for some other(e.g.US) country.
And that has happened how many times in history, compared to all the other revolution results?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2009, 08:32:18 am »

Lots of times.  Look back through British history, for example.  Ok, there was one successful home grown revolution, the civil war.  But the Peasant's Revolt, for instance, was crushed horribly.  And there are so many other times when the peasants hated the king but couldn't do a damn thing about it.  Look back and remember the revolutions that didn't happen, and you'll see that optimism here may be misplaced.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2009, 08:41:42 am »

This isn't the 12th century anymore, and mass slaughter and serfdom isn't an option.  The more people are able to communicate, the more they're able to organize, and the Iranians are particularly hip to modern technology.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:20 am »

Even communication technology doesn't guarentee a successful result - think of the current countries where an unpopular leader remains in power by suppressing everyone (such as Zimbabwe, who admittedly have less communication technology).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »

Somehow, I've got a feeling that it all will just slowly die. Revolutionaries will get tired and disillusioned, and most probably just leave Iran for some other(e.g.US) country.

With way things are these days.... Anti-Immigration especially... I do not believe many European countries... and especially the US would want to take in the number of people that do want to leave Iran.

It will end badly and unnoticed unless some media outlets take it upon themselves to sensationalize it....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »

Exactly. All is happeing as foretold in the Popol Vuh and the Book of Revelations. I exect that by 2012's january the Ayatolahs will have been replaced by a leader  who will propty force all his fauthful to wear a mark in their forehead
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01:43 am »

Oi. The Book of Revelations also says that people without said mark will be unable to buy or sell goods, which is why people say it's a bar code.

Also, St. John the Divine (who wrote Revelations) had a mushroom habit [unconfirmed, anecdotal, but definitely funny if true].
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2009, 10:10:59 am »

Oi. The Book of Revelations also says that people without said mark will be unable to buy or sell goods, which is why people say it's a bar code.

Also, St. John the Divine (who wrote Revelations) had a mushroom habit [unconfirmed, anecdotal, but definitely funny if true].
I wouldn't have trouble believing that.  Revelations has always struck me as the odd man out of the bible.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2009, 10:12:18 am »

Well, the ancient Israelite tribe were known for having rituals involving hallucinogenics.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:00 am »

They also told a bunch of stories about people rising from the dead and a flaming bush that talks.

Altogether strikes me as rather far removed from an Iranian presidential election.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2009, 10:36:40 am »

Well, the ancient Israelite tribe were known for having rituals involving hallucinogenics.
Revelations came later than that.  Now you can come up with explanations for rising from the dead and what not (doctors will actually do that from time to time), but the whole world ending?  How does that even work?

Anyway, end of the world not coming, it's near physically impossible with modern tech and nearby celestial bodies, and it has nothing to do with the Iranian presidential election.  Iran lacks the tech to destroy the world.

Back on the topic of revolutions, sometimes they span generations.  If so, then every so often there will be a fresh crop of revolutionaries willing to do what their forefathers did.
Just so I remember

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2009, 01:15:39 pm »

it has nothing to do with the Iranian presidential election.  Iran lacks the tech to destroy the world.
I think Ayatollah Khameini might just destroy you with Allah's Nuclear Fire for defying him.

Pic related:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:39:46 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]