Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The revolution is being televised.  (Read 11415 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolution is being televised.
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2009, 04:26:24 am »

OH SHIT.
We really need to monitor this war...

But still..

Crap.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2009, 09:33:03 am »

Damn it, why isn't the UN doing anything?  They intervened in civil wars before.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:10 am »

Damn it, why isn't the UN doing anything?  They intervened in civil wars before.
I think the possibility of pissing off the winner might mean dire repercusions. Don't forget that most UN peacekeeping troops are from the North America region. Add to that the fact that this is a military mess with urban warfare and no clear lines and you have a strategic nightmare.

Besides, how many people can speak Farsin out of Iran? The situation is bad and is going to get worse soon. The shit is about to hit the fan.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »

Honestly, IF (big if) you accept the election results as "tampered with, but might not have registered the wrong winner", what grounds does the UN have to intervene?  It's protesters versus militia, it's not militia vs. ethnic groups right now.  People die in riots.  As much as I support the protesters, I still think this is an internal affair.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24:59 pm »

Sowelu is precisely correct, and really hits home why President Obama hasn't been cheering on the protesters like the Republicans want him to.

If the elections, even if they were tampered with, really did reflect the general will of most Iranians, what right does anyone outside of Iran have to declare that Government illegitimate? Especially if it is a government selected by a majority of the people in that country?

As is written in the Declaration of Independence "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." Not consent of The United States of America. Not the consent of the United Nations. It is for the people of Iran to decide whether or not their government is illegitimate, not outside bodies. If those that oppose the Iranian Government do so with the truth on their side, they will find victory.
!!&!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

A curtain of silence has gone down over Iran. 
Not so uncommon around the world these days...  a few countries other then North Korea and Iran with far less media attention... who disallow foreign journalists and what-not.

What was already a iron-handed police state is quickly devolving into a barbarian kingdom.
  Death squads and soldiers/police given the green light to put down the protest/rebellion/dissidents/whatever it is now with force.

Not so uncommon either around the world either.  You just never hear about it in the media and if you do, it just doesn't generate enough of a buzz like Iran. 
Iran may or may not have Nukes... and the media attention given to Iran even before the elections/revolutions.
So, would we even know or care about what is happening in Iran now... if there was no media attention to begin with... and how quickly and efficiently Iran put up the blackout? 

Well, there is the video of Nede.  What would that have done?  Without the media attention it has now?  Would YouTube have allowed it to stay up for being 'graphic'?  Would it be seen as a hoax?  Or would it have propelled Iran into the front page news?

Personally, I wouldn't classify it as a barbarian kingdom, though, maybe your definition of it is different from mine... What are you trying to say?  Are you saying that there is some sort of chaos?  That there are 'mass'(statistically >.>) killings of some sort?

It still has structure, gov't troops are, from what we can tell from here, from the outside, are still following a chain of command. 
Its not a fight against minority groups, it is against a wide range of people from different sub-cultures and backgrounds.

For those who haven't heard, a few days ago a sixteen year old girl was shot to death by the riot police.  She's one of possibly a hundred people already killed in response - what makes her special is that her final, bloody moments were captured in multiple angle cell-phone camera footage, which ricocheted across Iran and around the world.  The establishment handed the protesters the greatest advantaged they could have - a martyr.  At the same time, the Supreme Leader has obviously been convinced that no other country is going to take action, overt or otherwise, regarding the violence there, and has stopped voicing even the pretense of democratic process or reconciliation.

>.>  Seems naive to say it that way.  A media martyr, yes.  A rallying cry for people outside of Iran, yes.
But, inside Iran?  It may be some other person, she may just be another name on the list...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2009, 09:40:01 am »

On 5th of August, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is sworn in as President of Iran for a second term amid protests.

Is this the end of the "revolution"? It probably is.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:55 am »

Only if you haven't been paying attention.  This is how Iran does things.  The other side holds demonstrations, public funerals really, for people who died in previous protests.  Agents come in and inevitably kill someone in the confusion.  Forty days later, demonstrations are held for the people who died.  Repeat ad nauseum until the protests/funerals become so big as to paralyze the government and mobilize the rest of the population, and you have exactly what finally ousted the Shah in 1979.

Point is, revolutions, especially in Iran, can take a while.  Patience Comrades, the dawn is yet breaking.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

I dunno, the Iranian authorities have killed and tortured a hell of a lot of people.  It may have been enough to stop a fullscale rebellion, and make the other people too afraid of what may happen to them if they try to rebel too.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2009, 01:38:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure Ahma whatever and his cronies have been successful in their coup.

I think that the opposition had little chance to begin with: there are too many fundies in Iran willing to support their goverment, and the street protesters were simply no match for the fanatical Basij militias
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2009, 02:09:59 pm »

You have no idea where the real authority in Iran lies. Mahmoud is as replaceable as a car tire. His authority is only for show, it is an illusion. He's irrelevant, both to the real power in Iran, and to the anti-government revolutionaries, but useful as a symbol to both sides.
!!&!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2009, 03:36:44 pm »

Well, yes, it is basically a theocratic dictatorship.  I suppose the Supreme Leader could, in theory, be got rid of by the Guardian Cabinet, but since he appoints half of the members of it he'd have to do something spectacularly wrong to be removed.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »

I predict that there will be more riots before I'm accepted into a college. That is my prediction.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:30 am »

Somehow, I've got a feeling that it all will just slowly die. Revolutionaries will get tired and disillusioned, and most probably just leave Iran for some other(e.g.US) country.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2009, 04:12:45 am »

I dunno, if they're angry enough, the revolution will take a long time to die. Besides I'm pretty sure that they're revolting because they're tired and disillusioned.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9