Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The revolution is being televised.  (Read 11440 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolution is being televised.
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 06:00:05 pm »

I hope that everyone looking at those videos takes care to notice how they are dressed. Not the crude stereotype of the middle east, the white smock and cap, but almost universally dressed in ways that would make them fit in perfectly well in Chicago, or New York, or LA, or Austin, or anywhere else in America. Some of the women aren't even wearing scarves over their hair.

I understand the "they aren't a bunch of stereotypes" part and agree with it, and that's great, but I don't really see why it's necessarily a great thing that they're apparently Americanized enough, despite lack of direct US intervention, to start disregarding their own culture and dress enough like Americans that they'd fit in in the US.

What I was attempting to illustrate is simply that it is much easier to relate to people when you realize how much like you they are.
!!&!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52:45 pm »

What I was attempting to illustrate is simply that it is much easier to relate to people when you realize how much like you they are

Though this is true. The fact that it is often a requirement makes me sad.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 07:20:52 pm »

Heh.
If this happens, expect the *westernised* Arabian countries, like Saudi Arabia and Egypt, would be -at least more- hostile to the USA.

Why? There is no 'common enemy' of them and the American any more. No, after Iran (and it's spreadment of Shi'a) is down from the local geo politic, they will turn into Israil (or forge an alliance with China.) (perhaps the later is more likely than ever)

Note that the thing holding the fragile alliance of the Gulf and the West is, after all, the paranoia of the 'normal' Arab leaders of the heretical Aryans (I'm speaking as a Sunni here, of course) (one that's really FAR, FAR AWAY from the battlegrounds)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 09:03:38 pm »

Breaking News From Iran.  Headline - Ayatollah to Ayatollah: Drop Dead

When I read those protest sites about kicking out Supreme Leader Khamenei and replacing him with Ayatollah Montazeri, I thought it was the pie-est pie in the sky demand they could have made, and that Montazeri probably resented it for the trouble it would cause him.  Well, Ayatollah Montazeri has spoken out.  In summation-

-Those protests were wicked awesome guys.
-We founded this country precisely because we wanted real elections.
-I didn't have anything to do with the vote thing, and I too think that was totally whack.
-I swear on my most holy backside that I'm gonna do something about it.
-Ballot-stuffing is an affront against God, and any bureaucrat or cop who helped is going to Hell.

No cleric has publicly denounced Khamenei yet, but there's nowhere left to go after saying something like that.  Therefor, the Council of Experts, the cabinet of poobahs, honchos, bananas, and cheeses that selects or removes the Supreme Leader has conviened to decided whether Khamenei is worth hanging on to.  It's important to remember that Supreme Leader is a political position, not a religious one, and Montezari in particular is about the biggest big wig Shi'i allows a cleric to be, including bigger that Khamenei.

Also, Mousavi has called for a demonstration in Tehran and across the country, in defiance of the government's ban on demonstrations, which he will lead personally.  The purpose is to mourn those killed by the militia.  The day after that is the Islamic Sabbath day, when people are supposed to gather in the streets anyway.  Which means if anyone so much as swings a billyclub over the next two days, everyone in the government is going to look like titanic dicks.

The revolution is being televised alright.  There's no room or time left for compromise between the protesters and the establishment, and nearly a quarter of the country is about to be in the streets.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:04 pm »

Fuck yeah!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »

Speaking of solidarity, I wanted to put a green headband on Ben for the occasion (bikers dig electoral transparency), but my attempts look like total crap.  Anyone willing to help me out?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

I couldn't even get a solid background on my shotgun, so no help from me.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 09:21:51 pm »

Uh oh...
I should prepare for the worst. There is no telling what will happen once the balance of power in the Near East is broken...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:05 pm »

I wish I could keep real-world names straight.  It doesn't matter what region the name is from, I just can't keep them straight.  But I get the general idea of what's going on; rigged election, protests against bans, paying respects to recent deaths.  It sounds a bit hectic over there.

Wish I could do more than put a green armband on something . . . that generally doesn't do much.  But maybe enough peoople doing it will inspire someone who can do something to do something.  So I'll do that anyway.  Back in a bit.

Edit:  Done.  Avatar edited.  Not an armband, but it doesn't exactly have arms.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:43:19 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 10:52:56 pm »

Aqizzar; Make his beard green instead.
!!&!!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 01:43:21 am »

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/17/iran.elections.rallies/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

New news, kinda. What's interesting about these days of mourning in response to government violence is almost exactly the same sort of thing that was used in 1979 during the Islamic Revolution.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 04:33:23 am »

I'd love to put a green ribbon on my avatar, but one must not forget that Hammas use green as their color.

I'd be supporting both sides... Hammas is silly. I know none of you intended to support them.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 04:58:00 am »

My avatar already has a green band :D

But yeah, I hope that people of Iran succeed in their fight for democracy.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

Hell yes! People fighting against the tyranny in their lives! Standing up against insanely powerful opposition because it's the right thing to do! Things like that draw my faith in humanity back upwards. Row, row, fight the powah!

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 02:45:57 pm »

Changed my avitar

Good luck to all those brave protesters in the street
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9