Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The revolution is being televised.  (Read 11445 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The revolution is being televised.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »

I'm not so sure you're right about the Clerics remaining in their positions, Aqizzar. Fark.com has a lot of people discussing this right now, and have become kind of organized in that they're leaking a lot of talk from Iranian twitter feeds and such things. If the information is correct, then... Well, here are the demands the protest leaders are apparently making.

1. Dismissal of Khamenei for not being a fair leader
2. Dismissal of Ahmadinejad for his illegal acts
3. Temporary appointment of Ayatollah Montazeri as the Supreme Leader
4. Recognition of Mousavi as the President
5. Forming the Cabinet by Mousavi to prepare for revising the Constitution
6. unconditional and immediate release of all political prisoners
7. Dissolution of all organs of repression, public or secret.

While I doubt that's going to happen soon, if all of those demands are met, then it would really be a very different country.
!!&!!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:25:00 pm »

My avatar already has a green armband.
Show your support, people!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 11:39:29 pm »

It would hardly fix all of Iran's problems though. Plus I am skeptical of any real changes this would bring on in light of their many other problems.

I should check out the situation again in five years.

He's a wizened and open minded manager of internal affairs, which is what Iran needs

Really? What about Iran's Boarder policy? If I remember correctly (it could be Iraq) they have issues with boarders and I cannot remember if they don't actually have any legal boarders or if their country is larger on their mandates.

Though I guess I am being unfair you didn't say "All Iran needs" and all I am saying is "Iran needs a lot more then a strong infrastructure right now". So take it as an addition rather then me argueing for no reason.

What this will accomplish is teach the cleric class that times have changed, and that they're hanging on by pretty thin thread

It is a pretty strong thread. So I guess it is more of a Cable.

While I doubt that's going to happen soon

Most of the list won't happen period.

My guess on what won't happen no matter what: 1, 2, 6, 7

DANG IT!!! What in the world has sucked all the joy and happyness out of my life?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:57:05 pm »

My guess on what won't happen no matter what: 1, 2, 6, 7

Well, then 3, 4, or 5 probably won't be happening either.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:26 am »

I could see Imanutjob getting removed from office. Why not remove the speakerhead?

Where do you go about attaching a green armband to a M16?
I was going to change to a shotie too.

Gah. Work.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 03:04:56 am »

I think I know what I can make green.

Anyway. I can't see any of that stuff happening either. That is, peacefully.
!!&!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:39:43 am »

Yeah and somehow I just don't count being murdered as a dismissal.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:37 am »

For one i congratulate them. The result were very shifty indeed, winning by a huge majority? doubt it, some cheating must have happened.

Who knows...maybe. Either way, I think that Ahmadinejad will cause serious problems in the region in the future.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 11:37:10 am »

If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
ACK! That book keeps following me around.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:01 pm »

http://gizmodo.com/5293878/ahmadinejad-lying-again-with-photoshop

I knew there was something funny about the pro-government rallies.
!!&!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 03:52:17 pm »

This is kinda like a celebrity gossip thread... except with Iran instead of Paris Hilton.

Regardless, here's to hoping some people get burned alive then crucified upside down or something. Then it'll be more interesting to warrant international intervention! Then there's a huge political scandal and people have to get their priorities and the US will invade and destroy Chinese investments and China will intervene and nuclear war!!! YAY! Then Japan will reveal that its scale model Gundam actually works while the EU will reveal CERN's secret black hole gun! The ensuing chaos will be glorious!

C'mon... Almost makes me want to go down there and set off the chain reaction myself... I even have my homemade flamethrower ready and everything...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 03:55:21 pm »

And presumably there are giant orbital cannons somewhere in that scenario, right?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »

Hopefully, but it's important to be realistic.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:54 pm »

I hope that everyone looking at those videos takes care to notice how they are dressed. Not the crude stereotype of the middle east, the white smock and cap, but almost universally dressed in ways that would make them fit in perfectly well in Chicago, or New York, or LA, or Austin, or anywhere else in America. Some of the women aren't even wearing scarves over their hair.

I understand the "they aren't a bunch of stereotypes" part and agree with it, and that's great, but I don't really see why it's necessarily a great thing that they're apparently Americanized enough, despite lack of direct US intervention, to start disregarding their own culture and dress enough like Americans that they'd fit in in the US.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:03 pm »

A lot of cultural dresses aren't very popular to wear nowadays for pretty simple reasons. It's hard to wear. It's expensive to wear. It's impractical. I don't think it really matters for day-to-day activities like riots against an oppresive regime that you need to don impractical clothing just to get it done.

Culture is something you keep in your mind. Expressing it constantly is akin to gay people constantly expressing how gay they are. That gets annoying and it's quite pointless. More examples would be American settler clothing, or native American clothing. You don't need to wear them to know the culture behind them right? We stopped using those for a reason, and it's quite silly to expect people to wear them again just because of culture issues. That's why people only don them during special events, since it would have more meaning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9