Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Warp Spasm or ríastrad  (Read 14570 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Warp Spasm or ríastrad
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 05:07:45 pm »

But unless the player knows a great deal about Irish mythology, how will you explain what's going on in reasonable words?  You can't just say "Urist warp-spasms!" and expect most people to realize what's happening.  To your typical player, how will this be different from trancing or berserking?  How will you convey this difference in a way that makes intuitive sense and doesn't seem like a dwarf randomly magically transforming into a monster for no explicable reason?

You raise an important point but at later in the games development you potentially need not have any knowledge of Irish mythology to understand what a warp spasm is because the genned world's mythology would explain such a thing. I do however admit that this suggestion would fit into the game better when there is more interaction with gods, and perhaps even magic, as I have heard the warp spasm described as having the power of your God(s) possess you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 07:44:14 pm »

I can see this happening, given the setting. And it would be pure, unmitigated awesome. It should only be able to happen if a certain number of enemies-say over 100-were in the vicinity.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 07:50:13 pm »

They already have these, it's called a martial trance.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:04:03 pm »

Not really, trancing is a different state that any dwarf can enter. Only a mighty champion, perhaps with the "devoted" characteristic towards their religion, should be able to do this, and only in the great epic battles where the doom of an age is decided. A trance in  a three goblin ambush a riastrad does not make.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:21 pm »

They already have these, it's called a martial trance.
Do those warp dwarves?  Do those turn them into incredible killing machines?  From what I've seen, neither of those happen during martial trances.  I've had my best champions killed while in a trance.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:39 am »

Do those warp dwarves?
If you use enough imagination, yes.

Do those turn them into incredible killing machines?
Outside of crossbow fire it will.

I've had my best champions killed while in a trance.
This probably happens because champions are surrounded by the enemy when they enter it. It's like saying "I'm not going to the hospital! People die there!"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 09:53:41 am »

Heliman I still do not think its quite the same, the game could generate some really interesting descriptions of the transformations and as I've said, this should be tied in with the God(s) and mythology of the land.

A martial trance seems to me more like a moment of calm for the dwarf where he is in more control of himself which he uses to his advantage to kill those around him, the ríastrad is almost the opposite for the dwarf even though the effect would be similar, also taking damage while warped would be unusual where as during a martial trance damage is the only combat stat not effected.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:27 am »

I agree with Heilman this is pretty much a Martial Trance / Berzerk with some fluff thrown on top.

I disagree with any points that it should be a "Tantrum" especially seeing as trantrums should end with death.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

Perhaps allow the effects to be permanent and self-destructive when in a evil biome?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 10:04:48 am »

Perhaps allow the effects to be permanent and self-destructive when in a evil biome?

Explode and open up a gate of evil for darkness to rise forth?

I can't say I disagree.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:36 am »

I agree with Heilman this is pretty much a Martial Trance / Berzerk with some fluff thrown on top.

I disagree with any points that it should be a "Tantrum" especially seeing as trantrums should end with death.
Tantrums don't end with the dwarf's death . . . that's berserk madness.  Second, martial trances don't make warriors better they just make them ignore pain and godawful odds against them.  They don't make them tougher, and they don't make them able to kill more enemies.  Often my champions don't get surrounded until after they go into trance.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 12:04:00 pm »

I'd have to stick with legolord on this one.
this would be ALOT different from a trance, i've had stuff like this:
Urist Mchauler cancels haul: interrupted by mountain goat
Urist McHauler has entered a martial trance
Urist McHauer Has left martial trance
with no kills injuries or otherwise. For me martial trances happen in the DUMBEST situations. id like to have for once something that will change the course of battle.
(at least with some consequence perhaps death afterwards, but dwarves get good and bad thoughts, Example:
Urist Mcwrestler was honored to attend the saviors funeral
Urist McCryptkeeper was disgusted by an inside out corpse
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 12:25:35 pm »

Praise Armok! Urist mcHunter has entered a Warp Spasm!
Mountain Goat has become enraged!
Urist mcHunter has been struck down!
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:07 pm »

Not meaning to sound contrive but I don't see how a dwarf entering a "battle rage" would be of much assistance.

I mean, for instance, my marksdwarf is firing shots towards orcs, why would I want him to suddenly stop and engage them in melee?

Why would I want my wounded champion to stop getting away to safety and watch him fling himself blindly at the crowd of enemies he will surely die too?

Well, you might say, it will only work for close combat, well in which case it is redundant still. If we think about this logically dwarves will already be; fighting furiously, fearless and pumped up on adrenaline when they enter battle. Martial trances make sense because, as said previously they reflect a moment of clarity amidst the heat of battle. Getting angry and ignoring wounds is basically what people do in battle anyway.

However, I'm merely playing devil's advocate here, the idea of possession seems likely a barrel of fun and then some. A "damage boost" could really make for some truly spectaculor fights/sieges/kobold theif encounters

Basically, I like it so long as its rare enough not to be end up as some cheap warhammer40k "blood for the blood god" message that flashes up everytime I fight of an ambush.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 03:43:35 pm »

Which is why it should have to have above a certain ammount of enemies-like a actual ARMY-nearby in order to trigger.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4