Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Societal Divide  (Read 2526 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Societal Divide
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:58:17 pm »

Hello, everyone. This is my 16th birthday, and I have begun to think about what that means.

Where I live, and perhaps everywhere, there exists a societal divide between those who drive cars and those who do not. I am now one of the latter. It seems as though those who own cars can completely disregard and ignore those who don't. When a car-less person complains about this, they are said to be acting like a child.

Is buying a car some kind of newly developed coming-of-age ceremony?

Discuss.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Societal Divide
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »

Yes, it's an ad-hoc assumed coming-of-age ceremony, and a completely bogus and invented one.  I myself didn't officially get a driver's license until my 18th birthday, and my family certainly couldn't afford a car for me before then.  Most of my friends didn't get their own cars until they were in college.

If you're an airhead who treats high-school and the culture around it as a day-care for teenagers, then not having a car will cut into your half-drunken social life.  If being able to cross city lines at a moment's notice isn't important to you, not having a car for another two years isn't going to feel all that limiting.

Really, above all else, don't believe the popularity queens and pop bands barraging you with noise about how these three years are the most important of your life.  They're not.  It's moving out into the world that matters, and the real fun starts when you're about twenty four and can actually go places and afford stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:03:00 pm »

Having a car is really nice, although I still try to bike when possible (right now it isn't, my bike didn't fare to well over the winter).
Of course, it is pretty easy to get overly attached to one's car. :'(
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »

Hell, I'm 17. No learners permit in sight. At the moment I really don't need to drive anywhere as all such locations are within walking range, or I could use public transportation that works wonderfully here. I also lack friends who see cars as status symbols.

So really, getting a license now would only increase the cost of our car insurance. I'm willing to wait 'till twenty to get a license. That or a job that requires my ability to drive. My brother got his at 19, if only because he recieved a job that required he drive electronics around.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 05:10:57 pm »

I'm 19 and Really should get my license eventually.

But its just I hate cars soooooo much.

Considering I live several miles from the nearest city and am rather unfit, a bike isn't really viable
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:21 pm »

I turned six-teen this year, I have never sat in the driver's seat or shot gun seat, NEVER.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

omgdandelions

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:44 pm »

I'd just like to throw it out there that not having a car can make dating logistically frustrating.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:13:47 pm »

I'd think a plane would be more Romantic tbh.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:13:53 pm »

Pfft, I've had all my dates without having a car.

There's societal divides over anything when you're 16. Just say that you love the environment :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

omgdandelions

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »

I'm just saying. It depends where you live, and where they live, and where you want to go. For instance i live outside of convenient walking range of most interesting places, and my most recent girlfriend had issues with bikes and thought the bus was scary. (the bus was scary, last time i was on there was this old lady with a broken desk fan on her lap. She just stared at me and licked her lips the whole ride)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:48 am »

I'm 17, got my learner's permit, don't own a car.

It's nice to be able to go out and do things with a car, like have a job, visit friends on your own time, and do what you would like to do; but the only problem is that you've got to have the money for it. Namely, the money to first get a car, then to pay for the insurance.

How do you pay for the insurance? Get a job. How do you get to the job? In your car, but you'll need insurance to drive. How-- etc

That's the bind I'm in

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:19:05 am »

I personally don't care whether or not you own a car.

I'm just saying. It depends where you live, and where they live, and where you want to go. For instance i live outside of convenient walking range of most interesting places, and my most recent girlfriend had issues with bikes and thought the bus was scary. (the bus was scary, last time i was on there was this old lady with a broken desk fan on her lap. She just stared at me and licked her lips the whole ride)

I live in northern Alabama, I'm a state away from anything interesting. Really the only place I go to frequently is The DeeP, where I play Magic: The Gathering. There is nothing else fun here. You have to be either younger than 8 or older than 60. I'm surrounded by the elderly.

I'm 17, got my learner's permit, don't own a car.

It's nice to be able to go out and do things with a car, like have a job, visit friends on your own time, and do what you would like to do; but the only problem is that you've got to have the money for it. Namely, the money to first get a car, then to pay for the insurance.

How do you pay for the insurance? Get a job. How do you get to the job? In your car, but you'll need insurance to drive. How-- etc

That's the bind I'm in

I come from a fairly well off family. My dad's both drawing retirement and working full time for a grand total of about $36 an hour. He didn't even get a college education, I'll be the only one on my dad's side to get one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:23:21 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 03:27:56 am »

Ah, so everything makes sense now. You are in a boring place with rich people. Obviously, to be not boring, you have to go somewhere. Well, your choice.. you can be with the cool kids, or you can sit at home and play computer games all day. Lol, there's an advantage to either and a very heavy disadvantage too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:42 am »

Screw other kids. They are all total assholes.

Bay12 is like meatspace minus the suck.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 05:53:06 am »

American society is weird...

Here in England legal age is 17 to drive, people who drive are what we call "suckers".  ;D

But seriously few people bother getting cars especially since all the universities make you jump through all kinds of hoops to bring cars. It just doesn't seem worth it for anyone planning to go on to university.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:56:10 am by thatguyyaknow »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2