Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.  (Read 35420 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2009, 05:21:05 pm »

Well you do get a nasty accuracy penalty for dual wielding. Which, admittedly, you can get rid of with the ambidextrous perk, but why waste it on that when you can get something more useful, like night ops or stealth?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2009, 07:33:13 am »

I can't BELIEVE how hard I'm failing at this game.

I'm really realizing that fewer mercs with better weapons is REALLY important, especially if you want to have a freaking chance in daytime missions.  Long range rifles ASAP, and if that means you only get two of your mercs from AIM and just worry about decking them out with great stuff, well, so be it.

My twin-silenced-Micro-Uzis doctor is still a total badass in close quarters, seriously, under ten tiles he is THE best member of my team...but, well, when we're getting peppered from thirty tiles and only two team members have any weapon with a range over 19 tiles, life starts to really suck.  I've got all this shiny AET ammo, but I tend to soak up around ten damage a round, and it takes two rounds to kill a guy in a wide-open field.  I guess the solution is "run away more often"...

What I don't get is, why is this game so hard?  I mean, I know I could play a lot more patient, stay way out of range using binocs, mine the hell out of things, take the helicopter into action as soon as night falls and then evac as soon as we get hurt or daylight comes.  But seriously!  I'm playing on the easiest difficulty level, playing on Tons of Guns, enemies drop all gear.  By all rights, the easy difficulty level in a game SHOULD be a lot easier than this, because I'm not in college any more and I'd like to have a chance by the time I've restarted two or three times D:

I know, I know, I can just modify the settings to tune down the difficulty...  I think I might have to do that.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2009, 07:42:43 am »

Are you playing the original version?  I know there was a re-released version that made the game way harder.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2009, 11:15:56 am »

Well gosh, of course you're going to get massacred if you charge over an open field during daytime. The way to win daylight missions is to not do them. Get NVGs, camo, and silencers, and move in at night.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2009, 11:24:06 am »

Er... why are you guys using so many people?

My build:
Lynx (AIM)
Custom merc with:
85 in marksmanship, agility, strength
75 in health
70 in dexterity
50 (Or about) in leadership
0 in medical, mechanical, and explosive

And I pour the rest of the points into whatever I think I need.

Take over Drassen, train militia like crazy, head over to Chitzena, do the same, then wait for a bit, order better mercs, weapons, etc. You should never have more than 6 people on a team at once. And I know this has already been said, but, ATTACK AT NIGHT! DO NOT ENGAGE OUTSIDE OF CITIES! SERIOUSLY GUYS!

Many people seem to think that there's a time limit, or such. There isn't. Wait for your mines to make enough money so that you can afford the absolute best equipment.

EDIT: Looking back over the stats, I think Danny can be a suitable substitute for Lynx. Not only does he/she-thing have the best HP and agility in the game, but it also has a high wisdom, which means it can train up that only above average marksmanship skill up quick.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:30:24 am by woose1 »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:18 am »

Huh?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2009, 12:39:51 pm »

What determines when or if you see bad guys in the dark, stat wise

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't put 0 in any stat, because that means you will never be able to improve that stat. And improving stats, incidentally, raises your level. You can make one or two levels just by standing around dis/arming a mine to grind your explosives skill.
Also, it's a good idea to put 85 into wisdom for quick leveling.

As for mercs, I never hire any that I need to pay money for. Seriously, the guys you can pick up around Arulco are more than enough, especially Ira due to her high wisdom, allowing her to quickly become an elite sharpshooter.

What determines when or if you see bad guys in the dark, stat wise
Character level. Mercs with the Night Ops skill have an addition +1 per character level, +2 if they have the expert version (ie. don't 'multiclass' to another perk as well).

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2009, 03:04:04 pm »

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! Don't put 0 in any stat, because that means you will never be able to improve that stat. And improving stats, incidentally, raises your level. You can make one or two levels just by standing around dis/arming a mine to grind your explosives skill.
Also, it's a good idea to put 85 into wisdom for quick leveling.
I always hire people to do that job for me. :/ Medical isn't all that usefull if you aren't planning to get hit. (IE: Attack at night) Mechanical isn't needed in the early game, and explosive isn't needed until very late in the game. Those skill points, I find, are always better put into wisdom or marksmanship.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2009, 03:07:00 pm »

Yes those skills are worthless, but the level ups that you can get by training them aren't.
Marksmansnip is completely worthless, you can leave it at 35. With the crappy early guns you're not going to be hitting anything even at medium ranges anyway. I mean, shooting is what you do in the game, it's the most used skill and as such it's the easiest to train (case in point, again, Ira).

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:28 pm »

Really? Leave marksmanship at 35? I don't know how soon you're getting rifles, but as soon as I conquer Drassen, I order a shipment of them ASAP.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:44 pm »

I usually start out with SMGs, MP7 preferably. By the time you secure Drassen and the SAM site your marksmanship will have gone up considerably, since the lower a skill is the easier it is to raise.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »

Last game, I hit Chitzena then Drassen, and then my Chitzena mine died out within, like, a week.  That was disappointing.  I've never managed to take more mines than those two (San Mona clearly doesn't count), they tended to beat me down.  What happens when my Drassen mine dries up?  This game I was going to hit Drassen and then the army base, hoping to catch the bad guys with their pants down, but it seems that it is I who have been pantsed.

My current lineup is:  Danny (amazing stats, ambidextrous, doctor), Thor (good stats, good leadership, stealthy, doctor), IMP (leadership heavy, night ops expert), Ira, and Dimitri.  I -want- to get Raven really, really bad; she has amazing marksmanship, night ops and auto weapons.  When I ended up getting her, she was my single best operative by far, but we still got owned...so maybe I will go sit on my mine for a bit instead.

Huh!  Interesting.  This page disagrees with you, and it's what I've been going from.  Me, my personal way to gain experience levels has been taking off and putting on binoculars...I swear my IMP has gained at least two levels just from looking at people with binocs...I don't know if it's actually scummable or if I'm just lucky, but, there you go.

Are you sure that raising explosives raises your experience level?  Because I haven't seen stat gains improve my exp. level before on anything else, though I have never really used explosives...  I typically give my IMP 0 in mechanical and explosives, and 35 in medical--everyone should know how to bandage.

Wait, no, I was just confused.  You're right, each advancement point you gain in a skill can give you an experience level advancement point--except for training, that doesn't do it at all.  Furthermore, it IS based on skill advancement and not just practice--clearly it's harder to advance from marksmanship 99 to 100 than it is from 35 to 36, but you'll get the same number of Experience Level activity points along the way.  So yeah, starting off with LOW skills is going to make your Experience Level raise a lot faster.

Spoiler: Advancement mechanics (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah.  Question.  Is there a good way to make sure you don't get interrupted in a really, really close situation?  I'm pretty sure the answer is either "Grenades" or "Glow stick + sniper way off to the side", but I CONSTANTLY get into situations where I'm on the left side of a gatehouse, there's a guy with an SMG on the other side, we're both right up against the building--and as soon as I pop my head around the corner, I get pumped with all his action points for >100 damage.  It sure would be nice if I could get the first shot, but I guess that's why you need actual tactics...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:01:19 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »

Oh yeah.  Question.  Is there a good way to make sure you don't get interrupted in a really, really close situation?  I'm pretty sure the answer is either "Grenades" or "Glow stick + sniper way off to the side", but I CONSTANTLY get into situations where I'm on the left side of a gatehouse, there's a guy with an SMG on the other side, we're both right up against the building--and as soon as I pop my head around the corner, I get pumped with all his action points for >100 damage.  It sure would be nice if I could get the first shot, but I guess that's why you need actual tactics...

Distractions work very well. Simply shoot at the guy from another direction, preferably from far away (even if the shooter can't see him, just shoot at the place you know he's at). He'll turn to face the new threat, then your nearby merc can sneak up on him from behind.

Another fine tactic is to entrench yourself in a room with only one exit - enemies tend to gather on the other side of the door, where you can then take them out all at once.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:42:40 am by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17