Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.  (Read 35427 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:41 am »

So where ARE you supposed to find a scope in this game, without taking it off soldiers that probably overpower you?  I want me some long-range firepower, darn it!

EDIT:  Nevermind.  So THAT is what happens when you set Bobby Ray's to something above the first level.  *salivates all over the floor*

Heh heh, yeah. I only play with the highest setting and just buy all the stuff I need, since sorting through the loot enemies drop is a pita. And playing only with mercs who cost nothing, I can afford a lot of stuff.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2009, 09:01:05 am »

So where ARE you supposed to find a scope in this game, without taking it off soldiers that probably overpower you?  I want me some long-range firepower, darn it!

EDIT:  Nevermind.  So THAT is what happens when you set Bobby Ray's to something above the first level.  *salivates all over the floor*

Heh heh, yeah. I only play with the highest setting and just buy all the stuff I need, since sorting through the loot enemies drop is a pita. And playing only with mercs who cost nothing, I can afford a lot of stuff.

Funny, my main IMP started with a scope.

Mind you, I still don't have a gun it'll fit, but I have a scope!!!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2009, 09:45:16 am »

Scopes aren't all that essential, in my experience. Night vision is far more important. Then you can just kneel behind a corner, make a noise to lure enemies, and keep popping their heads.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2009, 09:54:43 am »

I've noticed that my characters are significantly better shots at night.  Even without the NVG they are better at night.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2009, 03:54:33 pm »

Scopes aren't all that essential, in my experience. Night vision is far more important. Then you can just kneel behind a corner, make a noise to lure enemies, and keep popping their heads.
Ill take an acog or reflex over a scope any day. The combo 4xACOG combo is awesome too.
The only person in my squad with a 'scope' is... well, Scope, and she only has a x7. The limited LOS angle is just not worth it for me.

I move around a lot, so the bonus to AP to ready weapon from a reflex sight lets me get my team's guns up, drop an enemy, and keep moving all int he time it take someone with a scope to aim and fire once.

I actually use binoculars sometimes though, for distance sighting so I know which route to take as I move in closer and what to use for cover.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:17 pm »

Well the scope can be useful when you're hunting lone enemies, you use one of your guys as a spotter and the sniper can then take out the enemy from the other side of the map without the scout ever revealing himself. The problem is that at higher difficulties there are just too many enemies for this tactic to work. The moment you fire a sniper shot everybody and their grandma will be all over your in two turns tops. Hence the corner tactic. MP7 works best for this, in my experience.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »

I've noticed that my characters are significantly better shots at night.  Even without the NVG they are better at night.

Eh, in my experience, that's just because accuracy falloff with distance has a very sharp ledge right around where your night vision tends to be without the NVGs.  By the time you can see anything, it's close enough for you to shoot it -really well-.  Which is nice.

...Anyone know why the game would freeze as soon as the first enemy takes their turn?  I fought my way through a military base, killed off most enemies except one hiding outside just normally.  But when I went out to fight that last enemy, as soon as the 'enemy turn' progress bar moved far enough for her turn to be done, game froze.  I got past it by shooting her from behind.  However now ALL enemies EVERYWHERE do that, as soon as the first enemy takes their turn, game freezes, whether they started the combat or I did.

I've made enough saved games while juggling equipment and getting new hires after that army base, that now I don't have a pre-army-base save to go back to D:

EDIT:  It unbroke itself.  And now I'm realizing that I need to start using more than one squad.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:36:31 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2009, 04:02:01 am »

I need to start using more than one squad.
Huh? What for? ???

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:27 am »

I need to start using more than one squad.
Huh? What for? ???

Taking the buildings in northeast and southwest Alma is HARD--if I go in through the fence, I have lots of grenade chucking enemies at close range, and if I go in through the front gates, I get pincered by reinforcements from other sectors.  I need to devote all six of my guys to hitting the front gate, and still have people to cover their backs--or all six to secure a building I snuck into, while I still have others to keep the outside and roof clear with extreme prejudice.

I'm bringing in some serious second-string guys for this...it's not working too well.  I think I'll be starting a new game, with better understanding.  :)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2009, 05:44:38 pm »

NW is easy, go in through the fence, up on the roof (beware of sniper), down again at the easternmost corner of the north building, and in through the door. There's a tiny room with just two doors, you can make a stand there and headshot anybody who comes in.
Can't really remember how I did the other one at the moment, but you may want to do Alma early. The game is level scaled, and if you leave it alone it'll be filled with elite enemies. The early mooks can be mopped up fairly easily.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2009, 12:28:27 am »

Yeah, I agree, NW Alma was easy.  It's the others I can't do.

Ended up starting a new game with fewer, better mercs.  Enjoying dual-wielding micro uzis.  Just wish I could dual autofire them.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

No, wait... I didn't mean NW, I meant one of the other ones. Ah, nevermind.
Dual wielding is useless, it just allows you to be utterly ineffective twice.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:39 am »

But being utterly ineffective can be fun!

And killing lots of people with a pair of suppressed pistols can be really fun. A bit dangerous, but fun.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2009, 11:17:46 am »

Heard of 7.62?  It's a really buggy russian game.  Yes I know redundant, but like most russian games that get translated it's actually quite interesting from what I've seen.  RPG Codex has a LP of it here.

It's real time with pause, but they try to make it highly realistic, so your team of elite comandos generally have much better reaction time and accuracy than the average gangster.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2009, 04:18:15 pm »

No, wait... I didn't mean NW, I meant one of the other ones. Ah, nevermind.

Tell that to my dual wielded micro-uzis.  Not bad accuracy and range for the early-game, and holy crap that's a hell of a lot of bullets when I fire one in burst mode.  It's, like, 9 bullets per 5 AP or something.  My dual micro-uzi wielder kills a LOT of stuff.  (It's one of my doctors, though, so I would use him anyway.)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17