Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.  (Read 35451 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2009, 12:27:41 pm »

There was that JAZZ game...  it sucked in compare to JA2...

JA3 is still being developed?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:26 pm »

Silent Storm is one of my fav. games ever.  The engine is... divine.  Unfortunately, Nightwatch and Hammer n Sickle show how easy it is to screw up a good engine.

I would have been perfectly happy with an extra hard mission generator for SS, and a 3x deep skill tree, with no story.  Just killing Nazi's... over and over and over again.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2009, 01:18:58 pm »

It really just depends on which ja3 you are talking about ;D
Last I heard Akella had the ball, but delayed it. We are looking at next year or so... and, I am pretty sure it was Akella's JA3 that was gonna be done with the Silent Storm engine... I may be wrong though- can't check their website due to web filter.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2009, 03:32:45 pm »

I played a demo on the SS engine, but it was pretty weak... Very Russian in it's use of conversations with insufficient exposition an OMFG THERE'S BAD GUYS ATTACKING YOU, with no explanation why.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2009, 06:17:05 pm »

So maybe I'm being a bit ReRe, but I downloaded JA2 from Steam, installed the 1.13 patch, but I'm still getting a lot of mouse ghosting and screen load issues.  It's bad enough to make it unplayable.  (I had these issues before 1.13 was installed).

I'm running in Vista, with... a recent direct X (9, I think), but I've tried most of the compatability modes.

Any advice?

EDIT:  Changing the INI file and launching the game in Windowed mode seems to help
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:59:00 pm by Granite26 »

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »

I loved JA2, but I never played 1.13. Can you install Wildfire with it?
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:08 pm »

I loved JA2, but I never played 1.13. Can you install Wildfire with it?
there is a WF 1.13 version, I think... Check the bears pit

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »

Oh god, JA2 cheats!  When you make noise, the enemy will teleport closer to you!

How do I know?  Well...We moved into a nice little corner of cliffs near the Grumm mine, all surrounded so we had our backs to the wall and there was a perfect ambush for anyone coming around the corner.  (It didn't end up working in our favor but that's another story.)

Fired off a SMG on auto to draw the enemy's interest...and all of a sudden we got shot from behind, there was now a guy between us and the walls at our backs.  Boy he sure wasn't there when we got into position, and I didn't think it was possible to go up and down the cliffs...

Anyway I keep giving this game more chances at not being too hard to play but it isn't working.  Hit the northeast mine first, then San Mona to get some better guns; I haven't even SEEN any AP ammo yet, and I keep running into 9-12 army guys that every single weapon I own does 2-5 damage to.  The mini grenades I picked up?  10 damage.  Most enemies seem to have SMGs, too.  I just can't keep up...and it's day 7 on Novice!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2009, 07:38:51 pm »

I'm kind of having that same frustrating, game not behaving the way I think it should, problem.  Of course, I'm 21 days in and only just figured out that you buy guns and ammo by going through the links and on to the gun shop.  Why it's not in my original list of sites I don't know.

Which was rough, since all the guns I started with (AKA all the guns I've encountered that aren't pistols) take 10mm rounds, which don't drop.  (not that the store sells them, but at least not I have guns that'll take 9mm rounds.)

Is it just be or are the ranges in this crazy close?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 12, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »

Oh god, JA2 cheats!  When you make noise, the enemy will teleport closer to you!

How do I know?  Well...We moved into a nice little corner of cliffs near the Grumm mine, all surrounded so we had our backs to the wall and there was a perfect ambush for anyone coming around the corner.  (It didn't end up working in our favor but that's another story.)

Fired off a SMG on auto to draw the enemy's interest...and all of a sudden we got shot from behind, there was now a guy between us and the walls at our backs.  Boy he sure wasn't there when we got into position, and I didn't think it was possible to go up and down the cliffs...

Anyway I keep giving this game more chances at not being too hard to play but it isn't working.  Hit the northeast mine first, then San Mona to get some better guns; I haven't even SEEN any AP ammo yet, and I keep running into 9-12 army guys that every single weapon I own does 2-5 damage to.  The mini grenades I picked up?  10 damage.  Most enemies seem to have SMGs, too.  I just can't keep up...and it's day 7 on Novice!
Ten bucks says the sector got reinforcements from next door.
If the enemy is in a sector next to the one you are fighting in, they can reinforce the sector... I have gotten caught by surprise many times myself that way.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 12, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »

Except they shouldn't spawn within 10 feet of you with a full turn count(Which just happened to me)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 12, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »

Except they shouldn't spawn within 10 feet of you with a full turn count(Which just happened to me)
Maybe they shouldn't, but they sure do. Once, one of them spawned right next to my sniper, and proceeded to hack him with a machette. Oh, well. It's just another thing to take into consideration when attacking.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:17 pm »

So where ARE you supposed to find a scope in this game, without taking it off soldiers that probably overpower you?  I want me some long-range firepower, darn it!

EDIT:  Nevermind.  So THAT is what happens when you set Bobby Ray's to something above the first level.  *salivates all over the floor*
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:02:40 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2009, 02:30:14 am »

So where ARE you supposed to find a scope in this game, without taking it off soldiers that probably overpower you?  I want me some long-range firepower, darn it!

EDIT:  Nevermind.  So THAT is what happens when you set Bobby Ray's to something above the first level.  *salivates all over the floor*

You can also play with DROP ALL on, which means that slaughtered soldiers ... er ... drop everything they have.

When that one sniper dies, you will then guarantee to get his M24 and scope. It won't disappear under his body or shirt or down his undercrackers, never to return (like it must have done previously?)

You end up with a shitload of holsters, but when you are also heavily relying on long-range inaccurate suppression fire to pin back the enemy (another thing I have recently turned on), you really need the ammo.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2009, 02:52:01 am »

It really just depends on which ja3 you are talking about ;D
Last I heard Akella had the ball, but delayed it. We are looking at next year or so... and, I am pretty sure it was Akella's JA3 that was gonna be done with the Silent Storm engine... I may be wrong though- can't check their website due to web filter.

Last I knew of was Jagged Edge being a cancelled JA3 that the devs decided to finish anyway under a different name..can't find anything on Akella's site
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17