Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.  (Read 35489 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good Tactics game?
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:25 am »

ah fuck. Theres now two home of the underdogs, this is going to be confusing. They could have atleast called the new one hotud2 or something.

Also it seems as though the original was being reconstructed as of march.

Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance 2 are probably the best games in the whole tactical genre.
I've always wanted to play those but never got around to it...
I will take the role of being the resident bay12 JA2 fanboi.
As such, I declare any self respecting person here to play JA2, specifically the 1.13 "mod" accessible here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

Aaaargh, I NEEDED TO SLEEP TONIGHT.

30 minutes in:  OH GOD why are they killing me so hard, why did they give me these wimpy pistols and make me fight guys at long range
60 minutes in:  Heeeeyyyy, I can move at night!
90 minutes in:  .44 to the head, .44 to the chest, yet another kill for Grizzly...
4 hours in:  Okay, so I've got the mine controlled and jesus that's a lot of troops and OH GOD FIVE IN THE MORNING
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2009, 08:16:27 am »

You are worrying about sleep? Just have your extra guys sleep while your doctors heal the injured and mechanics repair your equipment, then, give them quick naps to before moving to the next sector.
oh... you meant you needed to sleep- rl you, not your IMP character you.... I see... yes... now I understand... I understand all too well...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2009, 08:22:51 am »

ah fuck. Theres now two home of the underdogs, this is going to be confusing. They could have atleast called the new one hotud2 or something.

Also it seems as though the original was being reconstructed as of march.

Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance 2 are probably the best games in the whole tactical genre.
I've always wanted to play those but never got around to it...
I will take the role of being the resident bay12 JA2 fanboi.
As such, I declare any self respecting person here to play JA2, specifically the 1.13 "mod" accessible here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/

30 minutes in:  OH GOD why are they killing me so hard, why did they give me these wimpy pistols and make me fight guys at long range
60 minutes in:  Heeeeyyyy, I can move at night!
90 minutes in:  .44 to the head, .44 to the chest, yet another kill for Grizzly...
12 hours in:  Okay, so I've got the mine controlled and jesus that's a lot of troops and OH GOD FIVE IN THE MORNING

Fixed that for you.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2009, 08:58:49 am »

What the best JA2 mod?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2009, 09:08:32 am »

What the best JA2 mod?

the 1.13 platform is really just an extension of the original game. Bug fixes, added features, and modability- among other things. Most other 'mods' have been modded to work in the 1.13 platform, or are being designed for the 1.13 platform. By itself though, I think 1.13 is amazing.

my work filter blocks the site, so I can't point you to the exact thread, but you can read up about 1.13 here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/
There is also a wiki and some other helpful sites. All reachable from the above link.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:12:10 am by Goron »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2009, 09:22:27 am »

Thank you Goron!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2009, 02:53:58 pm »

As I understand, the HUGE counterattack at Drassen when you take the mine used to be in the original JA2, but was removed before release. 1.13 adds it back in. Managing to kill them all is a feat that took me three hours and a lot of saves.

The best room to hole up in, so far as I can see, is the foreman's building to the very southwest. At first it seems to be more intelligent to hole up in a house without windows, but the AI is smart enough not to run into a deathtrap and for the most part, they'll wait for you to come out.

However, if there are windows and extra entrances, you can confuse them by attacking from places they aren't considering, causing them to run into places they thought were dangerous.

I did this with 2 IMPs, Fox, and Ivan, while listening to Rob Dougan's Furious Angels. Fun times.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »

That huge counter attack can be a game winning ordeal on the easier settings however, as a large portion of her army is dead if you fight it off.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2009, 03:00:46 pm »

And now I've got a ton of say, Steyr AUGs, combat armor, and such. How are you *supposed* to win? I'm assuming the huge counterattack is supposed to tell you to run away and come back later, or something.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:16 pm »

It is, but if you do things right it's an awesome experience. If they attack at night and you have your men set up right it's a damn cakewalk though.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 03:10:43 pm »

Ahh, it was night. But by the time we were done, it was almost morning, and I had blown the walls off of the house.

It's fun to be cowering in there only to realize you killed 98 of the 100 soldiers that came to kill you. Oops.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

I don't have time to try a new game...but I think I have to.

Maybe I'll devote some of Sunday to playing JA.

Should I try 1 or 2?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »

Huh...

Okay, so I'm a little confused.  I'm not an amazing player and I don't want to cheap my way through the game.  Should I be running from that counter-attack?  It's a really massive attack that seems like way more than I can fend off.  Of course, I also overspent, and now I've only got Fox and Grizzly for 72 more hours, MD and that other girl who hates Fox for ten more days, and two locals forever.  I fail at budgeting so I don't have an IMP yet, but I can afford one IF I don't re-hire anyone at all.

It sounds like that battle is intended to be unwinnable, but if you do win it, it makes the rest of the game easy.  I'm confident I could probably pull it off myself, but it seems like I shouldn't.  What's a new player to do, to play the game most legitimately?  Shall I go head for another mine and leave Drassen to rot?  Won't I lose the ability to buy new guns if I leave Drassen, though?

Also, the counter-attack is coming at 14:00.  So no night mission for me.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »

This is why I suggest that you play the regular game first to get a feel for things. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2009, 04:22:56 pm »

I think I'm going to start a new game.  And this time I'm going to make sure I get a darn IMP soldier.  And I'm going to get that mine and some long guns as fast as I can.

Guns with range of 11 make me sad.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17