Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.  (Read 35391 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good Tactics game? Also, Jagged Alliance 2.
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »

Holy smokes!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2009, 11:24:44 pm »

So I figured out how to capture Grumm mine, and now I feel really bad.

Spoiler: Cheapest strategy EVER (click to show/hide)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2009, 11:40:23 pm »

Yeah, that is exactly the kind of situation where you can use the mass murder trick pictured above. Enemies have a tendency to move towards shots they hear, but they also have a tendency to retreat if they're being shot from somewhere they can't see. The result is that if you camp like that, they tend to gather in a group just outside of your visual range, beyond the edge of the light. So after a while you can have one of your guys blast the group with an RPG or at least chuck a grenade - usually setting off a few grenades or other explosive items that the enemies carry... ;D
Just don't let them see you, because the moment they see you they stop retreating and will swarm and overwhelm you.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:44:11 pm by Sordid »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2009, 11:23:15 pm »

Blah.  Either you have a total tactical disadvantage in this game, or you're wiping the floor with the other guys--there's no real middle ground, especially on Tons Of Guns.  On the other hand, I haven't actually bought a single thing this game, except for Danny's dual Micro-Uzis...just been using found items.

I wonder if people have looked into further upgrading the AI to deal with poor LOS better, and to work as a proper team.  The AI feels like I'm playing on easy mode now, which is cool because I -am- on Novice, but I wouldn't mind smarter bad guys (and some other easy mode tradeoffs, like less damage).

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:43 pm »

Anyone know if they ever fixed the game breaking bugs in the Steam version?  Decided to get the game from Strategy First's online store because of those bugs, but the stupid DRM wants me to reactivate it and the last time it did that I had to contact customer support for a new key!  It's just such a pain in the ass I'd rather use steam... I suppose I cuold always buy it again from gog and not have to worry about any of that... but... well yeah, I already bought it twice so...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2009, 11:33:06 pm »

@Sowelu: In the 1.13 mod you can change the damage in the config file, along with visual range and a bunch of other stuff to make the game more to your liking.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2009, 11:42:17 pm »

BTW, don't buy anything from Strategy First's online store.  Your game will randomly deactivate and you won't be able to use it anymore until you jump through a whole bunch of hoops with their seemingly automated support system.  Well, ok, maybe it's just JA2 since I bought the gold pack and while JA2 is screwed up, I've never once had a problem with unfinished business.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 12:09:44 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 19, 2009, 05:27:00 am »

Anyone know if they ever fixed the game breaking bugs in the Steam version?

I have the steam version, upgraded it to 1.13 and everything is fine.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:56 am »

I thought the 1.13 mod didn't work on the steam version.  How did you install it?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2009, 08:25:45 am »

I thought the 1.13 mod didn't work on the steam version.  How did you install it?

Thats what I thought as well!

You just run the auto installer as available from links on The Bears Pit, point it to the directory where steam has installed it (.../steamapps/.. etc.) and  thats it!

Link:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=172234&page=1#Post172234

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »

Woah, I think I got me a killer combo. I armed a quite new guy from IMP, focused on marksman, with: P90+silencer and NV goggles. I'm almost immortal at night, and I'm doing a really big overkill as I spam headshots all around.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2009, 03:09:31 am »

Remember that P90s are not usually available until LATE game.  So if you buy them before you're pretty much at Meduna, well, just remember that you're not being entirely fair.  :3

Oh yeah.  Has everyone seen the easter-egg scene you can get from the flower shop?  I laughed.  SO HARD.  It's kind of obvious what to do if you poke around there a little honestly...  And oh my god, is it worth it...

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2009, 03:43:48 am »

I reconsidered. Fuck P90s, but for another reason, horrible aim and a big spread on burst.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2009, 04:34:28 am »

Hey, their accuracy is okay but they have poor range.  If you can get a gun barrel extender for them it helps.  No room for foregrip is a little crummy, but oh well.

In any case the main advantage of P90s is that they're the most advanced hardware you can find that will shoot AET rounds.  In other words, against the nastiest-armored opponents, you either want to hit them with anti-materiel rifles from far away, or unload a P90 into them.

God, I really wish you could nail an enemy who is facing towards you in the head with a glaser round, and actually expect to do some damage.  As it stands, head armor at least always seems to be 100% coverage.  I have a sniper who could aim for the eyeball if she wanted, but her glaser shots always do zero damage :(  If you hit the helmet I understand, but faces seem very unprotected.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:36:09 am by Sowelu »

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2009, 04:53:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Happy?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:51:38 am by BigFatDwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17