Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Leather ignites at lower temperatures than cloth, apparently.  (Read 2082 times)

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started a new fortress, this one, I set the maximum world temperature to 1000, and tried to find a really hot area within it.  And thus, Fleshchamber.  It was hot enough that the civilizations were marked "No Trade", although I seem to get traders anyway.  And it has a lot of trees around for a place that's so hot.

Digging down in the beginning quickly was essential, not only to get everyone out of the sun, but also to get them away from the wagon, which decided to burst into flames upon arrival.  I managed to rescue some plump helmets before they caught on fire, and was able to get down to the aquifer which provided me water, although I was able to get some alcohol made shortly after that, and started up a small farm with the plump helmets, keeping me alive.

Once I survived the start though it's really not too hard surviving here.  I can go outside to build things, or chop down trees, I just have to make sure to limit the time any dwarf spends outside to short periods.  Chopping down half a dozen trees a decent distance from the entrance without a break can leave a dwarf with minor injuries across their entire body, including internal and spinal injuries.  But I don't have problem if I limit their exposure.

Immigrants who are unprepared though can have a bit of trouble.  All of the immigrants who are wearing any bit of leather, will have that item spontaneously ignite, and burn away, and they end up dying in flames before they make it to my entrance.  But about 1/3 or 1/4 of the immigrants, who only have cloth or silk on, manage to make it to my fortress before they suffer injuries from the sun.

Merchants run into the same problem, anyone carrying anything flammable tends to die a quick death.  The Elves are the only ones who have made it here unscathed so far, since it's not hot enough to ignite wood directly.  Although after, I should be able to go out and collect any metal or bones left over,if it's not too far away to run there and back before sun exposure burns my dwarves.

It also makes getting through the aquifer or dealing with extra water easy, all water that is hit by the sun immediately vaporizes into steam.  I could expose the aquifer to the sky, and it vaporizes faster then it can come out.  I also use that to have waterfalls that just come directly from the aquifer, and flow down to my sun shaft, where it gets vaporized into steam.

I like the high temperature map. :)  I can still do a lot of things outside at this temperature, but I have to be careful.  It tends to ignite merchants most of the time though, but some immigrants can still make it through alive.  Although some more work with specific heat and temperature of objects being remembered and not changing instantly would be useful, items tend to burst into flames immediately, or be fine indefinitely (or until the flammable object next to them catches them on fire)  Creatures tend to survive the heat much better, only taking damage if they've been outside for a long time.  I could try a hotter map, but if it gets hot enough to ignite cloth, it would be a bit hard to get new immigrants, but I could work with that.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leather ignites at lower temperatures than cloth, apparently.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:00:01 pm »

Although after, I should be able to go out and collect any metal or bones left over,if it's not too far away to run there and back before sun exposure burns my dwarves.

Would it help to build extra exits, and build a wall around the underground part of the exit to keep unwanted visitors out?  When you have something to collect, de-construct part of the wall so you can go out the exit closest to the leftovers, then re-construct the wall once you have it all.  (You could use doors, I suppose, but megabeasts would be trouble.)

Do your goblin attacks turn into "let's watch the goblins burn," or do they survive that?  For that matter, do goblin and kobold thieves burn before they get in?
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:23:31 pm »

Yeah, I could build some underground paths around the place to get around.  I tried to gather stuff from close to the edge of the map overland and some of my people got a bit burnt.

I haven't had any sieges yet I only have 18 people so far that have made it in, I checked my unit list and there was a dead kobald thief who died somewhere out there apparently. :)

And I just had a very lucky dwarven caravan arrive, They came on the map, and some of them had burning leather clothing, and then before they got very far, it started raining, and their burning clothing got put out. :)  Although they might be in trouble if it's not still raining when they leave.

That might be helpful for gathering stuff far away too, wait until it rains.  And it's fun watching the rain hit a murky pool and just turn into a puff of steam on impact.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »

Oh Ow Ow Ow.  Very much not a lucky dwarven caravan, apparently they either had something still burning, or the leather reignited when they went underground out of the rain.  I lost 4 dwarves who were bringing stuff to the depot.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 03:20:35 pm »

Wait, does the water actually turn into a steam object? Or are you just saying that figuratively, as in "the water disappeared"?

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 03:25:53 pm »

Yeah, it turns into a cluster of clouds marked Steam that spread out and disperse whenever water comes in contact with the outside.  Including when a raindrop falls in a muddy pool, it just poofs into steam which expands and disperses.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:36:06 pm »

Wow, that is one intense fortress! Could I get a copy of your save data? I want to check this out!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 06:04:27 pm »

Sure, I haven't been keeping backups of it, but I stuck the latest save of it I have up at http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1110  I'm running with the orc mod, but no other mods if it gives you trouble trying to run it.

I just had a group of immigrants arrive, they managed to arrive during the rain, and get inside too, so all of them survived, even the ones with leather on.  I think I marked all their leather to be dumped off of them, if you miss any, it'll burst into flames if it comes into contact with the surface, once the sun is out again.  Oh and there's a bunch of stuff forbidden on the trade depot, since there's still a bit of a smoldering fire down there.  It's no longer filled with boiling sweet pod gas though, so it should be a bit safer then it was when it killed my dwarves.  And there's some corpses on the east edge across the empty brook, where it's all ashes now due to the previous caravan.  There's still quite a bit of stuff over there, and you can grab the occasional piece if your dwarves have time to cool off inside for a while after, might be safer now during the rain, if they're continuously going out though without much of a break they can get burnt a bit.

It's fairly stable as it is right now, it's a bit harder getting things quickly set up at the beginning.  You can also always just make your own world with advanced parameters, and just go to one of the templates, or make a copy of a template, and set the maximum temperature up to 1000, and find somewhere nice and scorching.  You can tell the really hot/cold areas, because on the civilization list, it'll show them marked as "No Trade" in those spots.  I just tried to find a spot in the middle of a No Trade area that would be nice and hot. :)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »

That is so ridiculously awesome!

You should use leather goods as incendiary projectiles.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:47:31 am »

Perhaps you can create a sort of dwarven shower/waterfall, which covers them with water before they leave, in theory allowing them to stay outside longer without severe burns.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:48 am »

Knowing Dwarf Fortress, that simply give them a water covering that turns into a !!Steam!! covering...
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

That is so ridiculously awesome!

You should use leather goods as incendiary projectiles.

Is there a way to make it so that you can craft leather crossbow bolts?

If so, would they burst into air in the quiver (easily countered by firing from bunkers), in midflight (awesome), or only upon contact with a goblin (Dwarven Rambo)?

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:19 pm »

You can make metal bone and wooden arrows, as wood doens't burn on this map, and presumably metal doesn't burn either, the only remaining option is bone, although I doubt that burns....

I suggest modding bronze or such to burn like leather, and instead of making puny bronze bolts make ballista arrows!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:58:14 pm »

A dragon defense without a dragon...you, sir, are a genius.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

ofgeeks

• Bay Watcher
  • For Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »

Wow, I really have to try this. I once found a place that was similar, but none survived the initial embark period because I failed to realize they had all burst into flames before it was too late. The river they started by distracted me by turning straight into a huge cloud of steam. At least it wasn't so hot that they exploded, hilarious as that would have been.
Pages: [1] 2