Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Large Wine Cask  (Read 13200 times)

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large Wine Cask
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »

Well, yeah, yeast is used in brewing.  I forget that most people don't know how brewing works.  Yeast breaks the sugar down into groups of two carbon atoms and various attached atoms from the previously 6-carbon sugar.

I would still be horrified if someone told me that they made mushroom wine.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2009, 06:37:55 pm »

I was in CSIRO (Australian Science Place of Government-Funded Goodness) recently for work experience, and i was in the microbiology section.

I can confirm that there are fungi that synthesise enzymes that break cellulose down into sugars- that was the main project of my supervisor.

However, they're bloody slow about it.

Now, I don't know whether mushrooms actually involve cellulose at all, but if they do, it would be possible to (slowly) make wine from them.

Then again, even if they aren't made of cellulose, they have to be made up of the same stuff as all life, so there's probably an enzyme out there which'll break those down to sugars too.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 01:14:58 am »

BLARGITYBLARG:

I have heard of yeast breaking down cellulose into sugar, but if I am correct (and being an arrogant bastard, I'll just assume I am) the resulting alcohol is toxic, as it tends to contain a fair amount of methanol which makes you blind.

As for the keratin/chitin mix-up, oops, my bad.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 01:26:46 am »

BLARGITYBLARG:

I have heard of yeast breaking down cellulose into sugar, but if I am correct (and being an arrogant bastard, I'll just assume I am) the resulting alcohol is toxic, as it tends to contain a fair amount of methanol which makes you blind.

As for the keratin/chitin mix-up, oops, my bad.

It isn't called Dwarven Wine for nothing.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2009, 01:52:38 am »

It breaks down into all kinds of sugars, yeah- glucose, mannose- and a bunch of others that I forget. The point is, it's technically alcohol, and there are dwarves around.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2009, 05:22:18 am »

A pretty flimsy justification at best

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2009, 05:30:38 am »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:54 am »

Now, I don't know whether mushrooms actually involve cellulose at all,
Consider: fungi growing on trees.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:27 am »

Did I say involve? I meant more 'if they actually are made of cellulose, or if they're made of something completely diferent' Of course they involve it, I was talking about them breaking it down, for heaven's sake (^.^;)

Oh, and Pilsu: It might be flimsy, but damn me if it ain't true.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:10 pm »

Bumping this because it is a very good idea and also because there should be a switch on the building noting all of the type of liquids you have and what you will allow it to be filled with. That way you can have all wine casks and not a swill cocktail (not that your dorfs will mind.) Also there should be an option to keep it filled with water, like water skins and the like. Also there should be a switch on it to have it filled once it reaches halfway, that way you won't have your furnace operators at level -6 running up to get sewerbrew at level 146 when their cask runs out and you don't notice it.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 06:49:34 am »

It would be nice to have these as an alternative to a barrel-stockpile. Maybe have them be directly attachable to a brewery, tavern, pub, etc., as a "building" that can hold a very large number of "drink items".

Infact, if ToadyOne ever implements the aging of spirits, this might be a good way to do that, by allowing the player to create job-lists for complex beverages from one of these barrels, allowing you to decide what ingredients to add, how long you want to age the liquor, how it will be stored (bottles, barrels, nearest really thirsty dwarf, etc.), and even being able to choose an inventive name for the drink.

It could be something like when you specify simple to lavish meals, only more complex. Once the spirit was removed from the big barrel, it would stop aging, and could then be drank, stored, traded, or even further distilled, or cooked in a meal, but the game could then record the name of your brew (and the date it was created) as a material item, for the rest of the game, like it might record an artifact.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:52:58 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2012, 09:06:34 pm »

Wow, this thread rose from the grave. With an original participant still attached!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 03:56:51 am »

There's something warming and comforting (atleast, if viewed from a "dwarfish perspective") about a seemingly endless store of quality spirits, on an icy cold Winter's night. One can very easily put one's self into the situation of being at a subdued but steadfast party in an long-established inn, surrounded by heavy stones, the heat of blazing fire,s and the solidarity of friends and acquaintances-cum-friends-through-drink, as you huddle together, beating the savage, unmercifully cold night only a few steps away.

If we can suppose that dwarfs (atleast eventually) do feel some of the effects of alchohol that humans do, then a great, bottomless cask, in this curcumstance, may almost take on aspects of the spiritual hopefulness and fulfillment of a religious altar, allowing you to--if not truly touch the face of one's chosen Creator, atleast feel that Creation has real and concrete merit, and through imbibing the drink at hand, you have the option to, for a limited time-and admittedly not without sure and righteous punishment for "committed sin", for giving in to real, basic, human/dwarf weakness (itself bearing a strange comfort...), put yourself out a little ways out of your misery, to step aside from life a little ways, and drown your sorrows, maximize your joys.

The pendulum of that act, those "good times" does swing back around sharp, but that's the natural of pendulous cycles, and of life, and is unspokenly accepted, and most importantly, shared by your fellow travelers.

It's symbolic of the Universe giving you some small permission to be yourself--specifically your weaker, less In-Control self, and to know that you are not alone, that within that fragility, if sought out, can be found warmth, acceptance, a feeling that the playing field is temporarily leveled, and that here, amidst this bounty of esteemed and finely-crafted, but still naughty, drink, it's ok to let go, fall a little bit, and trust the world around you to catch you, when you really aren't up to catching yourself anymore.

I think that symbol, and those emotions, would be appropriate to a dwarf community, that it's an obvious counterweight to institutional religion, and that big casks (and the bigger the better, as a sign of communal pride, if nothing else) would really take off as a fad. Not without some controversy here and there, ofcourse, but that's part of the price, and part of the attraction.

I also think that dwarfs would often be in a better position than humans at picking themselves up again, not giving in to true alchoholism (or atleast slovenousness and self-destruction) quite as readily, if only because of the highly driven structure of both dwarf society and dwarf physiology. Too much alchohol would eventually get in the way of the higher purpose of "Great Usefulness" each dwarf craves. If they couldn't avoid committing themselves to the drink, the community certainly would notice this, and would ruthlessly take steps to prevent one "bad dwarf apple from ruining the bunch", via jailtime and hammering.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be "dry drunks" and alchoholics who are still highly functional, around, but it should be rare to see a dwarf completely destroyed and perpetually wasted by drink. It just wouldn't be permitted or glorified in the way it can sometimes sadly be, in real life.
For they would be your masters.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:48 pm »

I think this'd probably tricky to do until proper fluids apart from water and magma are introduced, obviously. More importantly, you'd have to have large barrels for every variety and quality level of booze, as alcohols have hidden quality levels.

The idea of enormous casks of hooch is still a fantastically dwarven idea, mind you.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:12 am »

Well this needn't be implemented as a finished product yet. I'm sure it would be fine and simple to implement it as just a large and immobile barrel that can be filled by buckets or normal barrels and act like a water(booze)tower. It could be made more complex later on. At the moment I think the usefulness outweighs the fact that all aspects of it aren't hashed out. I would like to see something like this put in with the next update, whether that is overly optimistic or not.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]