Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Large Wine Cask  (Read 13202 times)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large Wine Cask
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 03:00:39 pm »

Of course, until fire is used within fortresses as a commonplace source of light (assuming dwarves would need a source of light - I've always justified cave adaptation as being a result of dwarf-unique senses that substitute for sight) the explosive issue is only really an issue when people are running around on fire, by which point safety is pretty much gone anyway.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 04:53:37 pm »

yeah the ethanol of any alcohol would evaporate from a booze lake leaving mostly water behind.

I Also could see this as an explosion hazard even from low proof alcohols because of the build up of vapors in the atmosphere.  ESPECIALLY if for some reason the ground was really warm.. like near a volcano...  If the beer reached a temperature of about 100F it would start throwing off a lot of alcohol vapor and it could reach an explosive concentration in the air quite easily I would imagine, as wine does with its 18ish proof inside of a hot pan.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 11:53:09 pm »

Hey, you hoseheads, you got any jobs in that brewery there, eh?
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 05:30:48 am »

Not a cistern in the sense of digging a channel and filling it with booze, but this is what I meant by having multiple vats or large booze containers.

Those are all separate batches or parts of the same batch, A set of large wine casks if you will  ;)

Personally I imagine the ground is fairly warm in DF. Underground plant life getting it's energy from the ambient heat
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:34:11 am by Pilsu »

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59:54 am »

Ground and caves do get warmer the deeper down they get.  Temperature is controlled by air currents, and a high humidity cave with low airflow will eventually cook a person to death if they stay in there for too long (sweat wont evaporate and core body temperature will slowly rise to dangerous levels).

However, despite this, anything above 0 K had some kinetic energy in it at a molecular and atomic level.
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 10:21:25 am »

Warmer as they may get, ground itself tends to be quite cold

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »

Rather than huge casks or furniture that compacts barrels, why not steel kegs that hold more liquid, weigh much more, but still only take up one tile? Maybe even make kegs install-able and designate to meeting halls or a whole new room (tavern)?

A keg meeting hall?  With parties?

"Urist McDwarf cancels Store Item: Doing Keg Stand"
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 06:21:21 pm »

"Urist McDwarf cancels Breathe: Drowning in beer."

Kegstands are a bad idea.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 09:22:52 pm »

"Urist McDwarf cancels Breathe: Drowning in beer."

Kegstands are a bad idea.

But that's the idea of the best way to die, for a Dorf.

Personally, I approve of this-just segregate the various kegs, as you would the skill levels on a workshop, so you have one giant keg of Mad Dog 20/20 from Slappy the Dabbling Brewer and regular ol' barrels for Urist le Grande, Legendary Brewer, crafter of That Beer So Thick It Menaced With Spikes, Goddamn.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 05:46:46 am »

As someone who brews booze in reality, no mushrooms cannot produce alcohol.  Mushrooms are largely made up of a substance that is really similar (or identical) chemically to your fingernails.  Chitin (fingernail material) is also similar to wood (cellulose) except that the chains of sugars have ammonia and methane glued onto them in addition to a couple other things.

So long story short, yeah, you might be able to produce some sort of alcohol from mushrooms, but it would kill you, me, and every Armok-damned thing that so much as looked at it funny.  Plus it would taste like piss, what with all the ammonia it would be throwing off during fermentation.

"Say, Cerol, what do you think of this Plumphelmet wine I just made?"
"Mmmm, well Urist, it has a unique bouquet of cat-piss and flavor reminiscent of a nail-salon."
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 11:13:09 am »

As someone who brews booze in reality, no mushrooms cannot produce alcohol.  Mushrooms are largely made up of a substance that is really similar (or identical) chemically to your fingernails.  Chitin (fingernail material) is also similar to wood (cellulose) except that the chains of sugars have ammonia and methane glued onto them in addition to a couple other things.

So long story short, yeah, you might be able to produce some sort of alcohol from mushrooms, but it would kill you, me, and every Armok-damned thing that so much as looked at it funny.  Plus it would taste like piss, what with all the ammonia it would be throwing off during fermentation.

"Say, Cerol, what do you think of this Plumphelmet wine I just made?"
"Mmmm, well Urist, it has a unique bouquet of cat-piss and flavor reminiscent of a nail-salon."
Fingernails aren't made of chitin; that's what the exoskeleton of arthropods is made out of. Keratin is the proper material, and it is in fact a protein, not a sugar. So it would probably taste even WORSE if you femented it, since there would be ALOT of nitrogen in there.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 11:30:35 am »

I've always kinda assumed that the mushroom wine is created by getting some bacteria or fungus to partially digest the mushroom, producing the sugars that then allow it to be fermented.

Probably still doesn't taste all that great, mind you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »

I've always kinda assumed that the mushroom wine is created by getting some bacteria or fungus to partially digest the mushroom, producing the sugars that then allow it to be fermented.

Probably still doesn't taste all that great, mind you.

They're DWARVES. They'll eat anything that the butcher will allow to be cut up and distributed. For them, alchoholism is a RACIAL TRAIT.

They probably just drop a chunk of something that absorbs ammonia in there and drink it anyway.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2009, 01:48:28 pm »

Most people who ever did their research on beer would know that Yeast is used in the making of alcholic drinks.

Yeast is a fungi

Maybe they are using the mushrooms for something different than what we think

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

Of course, you get Plump Helmet Wine, not Plump Helmet Beer. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5