Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Large Wine Cask  (Read 13212 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large Wine Cask
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:49:58 pm »

It's also interesting how my dwarves bring a plump helmet into the still, and in the next milisecond, comes out with a barrel full of wine.

Either he has his booze pot heated up to a kagillion degrees, or he has some kind of super power, I think it would atleast take a few minutes.

I'm more curious as to how they managed to brew mushrooms or why they call it wine

Requiring nothing but a plant to brew everything seems a bit suspicious too

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:59:19 pm »

detinith: Unless it's stainless steel and uses modern professional-level welding techniques, brewing in a steel/metal vat is probably not the best idea. Off-flavors would probably be just one negative result.
For they would be your masters.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 06:36:01 pm »

detinith: Unless it's stainless steel and uses modern professional-level welding techniques, brewing in a steel/metal vat is probably not the best idea. Off-flavors would probably be just one negative result.

particuarily if you use lead. 

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »

I can actually believe that dwarves would be masterful enough with steel to make stainless steel.  Having steel mugs, plates, utensils, pots, pans, etc. is believable.

However, iron, copper, brass, bronze, tin, nickel, silver, gold, platinum, etc. are also acceptable metals to use for cookware and vessels to hold consumables.  Just as long as they're not drinking moonshine from a lead radiator, I'm pretty certain that dwarven constitution is stout enough to handle trace metal consumption just fine.  In fact, I can easily believe that they could floss their teeth with wire solder and be just fine.
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 12:14:35 am »

Still taste bad, though. Wood and glass (and copper/copper alloys, except for the taste) are better, because they naturally resist bacteria, or are easy to thoroughly clean (glass).

And stainless steel requires technology that dwarfs don't have access to. It's not just a question of skill.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 03:54:17 am »

It's also interesting how my dwarves bring a plump helmet into the still, and in the next milisecond, comes out with a barrel full of wine.

Either he has his booze pot heated up to a kagillion degrees, or he has some kind of super power, I think it would atleast take a few minutes.

I'm more curious as to how they managed to brew mushrooms or why they call it wine

Requiring nothing but a plant to brew everything seems a bit suspicious too

They call it wine to piss off the elves who make actual wines. And since they are dwarves they probably just mix the mashed up mushrooms (must be some weird mushrooms though, full of sugars) and then mix it with their own saliva. Several human cultures actually do this with corn, berries, yak milk...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 05:28:13 pm »

I can see mushrooms being used for exotic flavor but I'm not sure one should be able to brew them. They're the fastest growing crop to begin with, a downside wouldn't hurt

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 07:16:03 am »

Still taste bad, though. Wood and glass (and copper/copper alloys, except for the taste) are better, because they naturally resist bacteria, or are easy to thoroughly clean (glass).
Silver and brass, too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leartes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:24 pm »

Alone for historical reasons I d like to stay with wood - maybe glass for some specialties, but putting all the wine in bottles before the fermentation produces lots of additional labor.

What I dream of are more liquids treated as liquid, so that you can build a room as "wine resevoir" or something like that, possibly tubes and in the end a wine fountain in your dining hall! That would be awesome ;D

Of cause the booze would become undrinkable if it comes mixes up with other liquids or touches usual floor/walls.

Finely why shouldn't it be possible to create an alcoholic drink out of mushrooms ? - Mod a different name in if you dont like wine, but still it should be possible in general.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 01:48:58 pm »

I can actually believe that dwarves would be masterful enough with steel to make stainless steel.  Having steel mugs, plates, utensils, pots, pans, etc. is believable.

However, iron, copper, brass, bronze, tin, nickel, silver, gold, platinum, etc. are also acceptable metals to use for cookware and vessels to hold consumables.  Just as long as they're not drinking moonshine from a lead radiator, I'm pretty certain that dwarven constitution is stout enough to handle trace metal consumption just fine.  In fact, I can easily believe that they could floss their teeth with wire solder and be just fine.

Yea, considering that they don't appear to suffer from liver problems or get fetal alcohol syndrome.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »

Yea, considering that they don't appear to suffer from liver problems or get fetal alcohol syndrome.

...I think we just figured out why Dwarves do such stupid things.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 04:38:21 pm »

Finely why shouldn't it be possible to create an alcoholic drink out of mushrooms ? - Mod a different name in if you dont like wine, but still it should be possible in general.

I don't think mushrooms have the components necessary for fermentation. I could of course be wrong but Googling produced no mushroom booze recipes

Plump helmets grow fast, having an actual downside wouldn't hurt. Having to grow a season of cave wheat wouldn't ruin the game

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »

I remember seeing a discussion on mushroom booze in here before. Pretty sure the consensus was that it couldn't happen.

Although I suppose if you could find a way to break down the mushrooms with bacteria or something, maybe with the chew-and-spit method, you could do it. Perhaps dwarves have saliva that can break down chitin into sugars.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »

I agree with others that mushroom alchohol is really unneccessary and unbalancing, especially since we might someday soonish get hallucinogenics in the game, at which point alchohol from shrooms would really become superfluous, anyway.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »

I agree with others that mushroom alchohol is really unneccessary and unbalancing, especially since we might someday soonish get hallucinogenics in the game, at which point alchohol from shrooms would really become superfluous, anyway.

you're assuming there's going ot be recreational drugs. has toady said anythign about this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5