Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can this be a bug?  (Read 1087 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can this be a bug?
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:12 pm »

Ok before I put this up on the bug section I want to see if I was missing something simple.

What happed is I got 2-3 wild goats in cages, I move them to the same cage, and then they give birth.

Two things weird here (as far as I know) one: wild animals don’t breed I don’t think. Two: I don’t think there were at any point two goats out of cages at the same time.
This has led to some thing I think are possible glitches.

1: it said the young goats were in the cage with their mothers, but they appeared in cages in a nearby stockpile.
2: when I tried to move them to the cage it said they were in (it only said they were in it on the Q look over, not the assign menu) they escaped the animal movers, but still ended up in the cage with their mothers somehow.
3: after I tamed them and their mothers I let them out. One kid was killed by a dog, the others were not (yet)
4: the dwarfs won’t move the body parts of the kid to the refuge pile nearby.

I also have the file right after the goats were caught 2-4 weeks before they gave birth (I think) and 1/2 a year before I tamed and let them out.

I am a novice DF player so many if not all of these may be normal. But i thought i would ask.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Can this be a bug?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:41:45 am »

I don't know about the latter stuff, but wild animals DO breed. It just doesn't happen very often because they usually don't stay on the map long enough, but river critters like hippos and cave crocs are infamous for breeding like rabbits since they never leave the map.

It's very likely they got pregnant before you captured and tamed them.

Also, that goat chunk in your picture is forbidden, as you can see by the {} brackets. Dead things and body parts auto-forbid when they die or are severed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:43:31 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

Things in Dwarf Fortress don't need to be with each other to breed, they do it by spores.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:52:06 am »

Aye. One time my hermit gave birth to a girl that had come from one of the immigrants that lived permanently outside my fort. It also raises questions to how they could have married.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:53 pm »

As for your goat being killed, any animal (even tame ones) that has attacked (or is it killed?) a dwarf will be considered an enemy and attacked on sight by soldiers, guards or dogs. Presumably that kid was the one that started to get away from the handler and possibly attacked it in the process.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:01:50 pm »

Aye. One time my hermit gave birth to a girl that had come from one of the immigrants that lived permanently outside my fort. It also raises questions to how they could have married.

Telepathy.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 06:57:58 pm »

"Can this be a bug?"
I dunno.  Do you want it to be?

They decided to forgo a formal wedding.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:23:41 pm »

Thank you for calming my fears that something could be wrong with my game.