Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Madman Walking: Apparently Postponed  (Read 10234 times)

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Madman Walking: Apparently Postponed
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:50:56 pm »

Based roughly on Chaos Point, this will be an RPG of sorts based on a single character in the game world.  The objective will be largely decided by the players, but the character you'll start with isn't likely to have a great deal of equipment prepared.  However it goes, we'll see... 

First off, a character sheet needs to be decided on.  The only thing I'm changing from the original is that you have more points to throw around, and you don't get guaranteed equipment from certain skill levels.  Otherwise, superficially it's pretty much the same deal, though I won't be listing equipment here for now. 
Weapon specializations cost three points, traits cost two, and each level of a skill will cost a single point.  You will have twelve points to allocate, and you can only choose two traits to enhance or a third if you take a detriment in another stat.  The first trait is considered free. 

Spoiler: Weapon Classes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Non-Combat Skills (click to show/hide)

Also, something that's new, a temperament needs to be selected for the character.  Though this can vary widely, there are a couple categories...

Bloodlust: When things get messy, how enthusiastic the character is with combat.  A high bloodlust means that they'll generally fight better, but they will also be always closer to the edge, and oftentimes more suspicious.  A low bloodlust can hurt combat ability, but also makes one less suspicious.  After all, if you cringe at the sight of blood, the police aren't as likely to believe you stabbed someone to death.

Composure: How well the character holds together under stress.  Ranging from 'Excellent' where the character is perfectly cold and calm regardless of the situation, or 'Neurotic', where even the slightest stress can send the character into a fit of rage or sadness.  Extreme scores either way have their own advantages and disadvantages, but this will be very responsible for any 'unintended' consequences while out doing things.

That's all I can think of for now, so post what you think would be a good character sheet, see what other people have to say, and try to figure out what would work best; I'd like some sort of consensus on the skills and mentality, but if it comes to it I'll just choose whichever strikes me as the 'best'. 

As always, point it out if you see anything that seems to be wrong or confusing, and I'll explain it or fix it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:21:41 pm by Golgath »
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Madman Walking: A CP spinoff
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:54:03 pm »

Sample

Name: Desmond Green

Trait: Dexterity

Weapon Specialization: Pistol

Combat Skills:
Accuracy 1
Targeting 2
Demolitions 1

Non Combat Skills:
Scavenging 3
Mechanics 2

Btw I can think of a few more temperament traits like

Mortality- How afraid your character is of death. This naturally grows less as you age and suffers trauma or hardship. Living a life of fame and fortune though, you will want to live longer…there could be bonuses or penalties to your character depending on how low your health it. A character that fears death could be either paralyzed with fear and hopelessness, or their all-consuming desire to live could push them past their normal limits, both physical and moral.

Ex: Your character has to defuse a homemade bomb, capable of death or mutilation should it go off. Depending on your other temperaments, you will either face a hefty penalty, or complete it in record time.

Adrenaline- starts out fairly low for a character at rest-failures, delays, and exertions gradually erode your ability to dedicate yourself to a long-term task. A character with high levels of adrenaline is less successful with non-combat skills like Manufacturing and Engineering, but is better in combat.

Faith-Your general view of your life and how you choose to live it…in essence if you believe in what your doing is right, or at least profitable. An extremely low faith character is essentially suicidal, or a completely unmotivated coward.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:29:10 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:38 pm »

Sample

Name: Desmond Green

Trait: Dexterity

Weapon Specialization: Pistol

Combat Skills:
Accuracy 1
Targeting 2
Demolitions 1

Non Combat Skills:
Scavenging 3
Mechanics 2

Btw I can think of a few more temperament traits like

Mortality- How afraid your character is of death. This naturally grows less as you age and suffers trauma or hardship. Living a life of fame and fortune though, you will want to live longer…there could be bonuses or penalties to your character depending on how low your health it. A character that fears death could be either paralyzed with fear and hopelessness, or their all-consuming desire to live could push them past their normal limits, both physical and moral.

Ex: Your character has to defuse a homemade bomb, capable of death or mutilation should it go off. Depending on your other temperaments, you will either face a hefty penalty, or complete it in record time.

Adrenaline- starts out fairly low for a character at rest-failures, delays, and exertions gradually erode your ability to dedicate yourself to a long-term task. A character with high levels of adrenaline is less successful with non-combat skills like Manufacturing and Engineering, but is better in combat.

Faith-Your general view of your life and how you choose to live it…in essence if you believe in what your doing is right, or at least profitable. An extremely low faith character is essentially suicidal, or a completely unmotivated coward.
The ideas are interesting, but I'll hold off on adding anything like that for now.  It doesn't quite fit in with the idea I had, but if other players think it's good, I'll try to add in something of the sort.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

Dibs on a spot.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:21:03 pm »

Dibs on a spot.
Unless things get too confusing, there aren't really 'spots'.  Just put up a character sheet and any other suggestion for the character you feel like.  Remember, this will be a single-character game.

theevilmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:51:44 pm »

Name: insert name here

free Trait: Intellegince

but trait: agility
Weapon Specialization: SMG

Combat Skills:
stealth 2
spotting 2
targetting 1
accuracy 1

Non Combat Skills:
cracking 1
hacking 1
gunsmithing 1

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:21:28 am »

Will there be cameos from our characters in Chaos Point?

That'd be sweet, and I'd hate all the effort I spent fleshing out my crazy albeit some-what sane pyscho bitch to be wasted.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:23:12 am »

Will there be cameos from our characters in Chaos Point?

That'd be sweet, and I'd hate all the effort I spent fleshing out my crazy albeit some-what sane pyscho bitch to be wasted.
Like I said, this is only taking from CP the game rules.  The world itself will be different, so it isn't likely your characters will show up. 

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:26:24 am »

Well, it would preserve the CP world if Vaolis ever showed up... :-\
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:42:35 am »

Well, it would preserve the CP world if Vaolis ever showed up... :-\
Exactly.  I'm leaving that be, in the other thread, if he ever does show back up.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »

Still looking for some additions.  Is anyone else interested in this?

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:07 pm »

I am.

How much of the rules are being imported from CP? Aside from character generation, everything else is same?

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »

I am.

How much of the rules are being imported from CP? Aside from character generation, everything else is same?
For the most part.  Since Chaos Point wasn't very refined, since it never got properly started, this may end up being considerably different.  The main difference currently is the fact that you choose a demeanor of sorts for the character, which helps immersion a bit and (more importantly) makes writing out the actions easier.  Since I lack masterful MS Paint skills, it'll be pure text unless something unique comes up.

EDIT: Is anyone still following this?  The lack of input makes putting a character together troublesome, and I'm frankly pretty surprised this fell through so quickly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:04:01 am by Golgath »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 12:29:02 am »

All right.  I'm sort of getting mixed signals here...  I'm not sure whether just to shelve this because there seems to be virtually no activity, or to start it up despite lacking players in order to build up interest.  I'm not particularly cheery about starting something up with little player support, but I suppose I'll figure out what I want to do eventually.  Anyway, this is sort of a 'last call' for throwing in character concepts and all that, because I'll need to start a game if I actually want to get people posting again.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 03:00:13 am »

I say just start it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9