Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: What are you looking forward to most?  (Read 5615 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you looking forward to most?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »

What I look forward too is that one day, Dwarf Fortress will be a house-hold name, and every other video game company will hang their heads in shame that the best game ever made was made by one man In a cave! With a box of scraps!

I'd like to point out that MANY of the "best games" are made by independent developers.  Braid and World of Goo come to mind.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 10:48:25 pm »

1- More modding possibilities
I can't wait for the materiel and caste stuff.  Dracon with diffrent abilities and colorations, Weapons made from Grass Assassin arms, Small but difficult to injure slime type enemies, dragons with something other than firebreath.  I have dreams about this stuff already.

2- Adventurer skills

Who dosn't want to build a castle for their particularly successful adventurers?  This would likely remove the need for the the auto heal on travel system too.

3- Fortress mode 3D pathfinding (flying, swimming, etc)
What's the point of a winged or aquatic race in fortress mode if they can't fly or swim without game killing bugs?

EDIT: Descriptions added

« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:56:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2009, 11:42:18 pm »

I'm actually not looking forward to that. I'm sure that when it comes, it'll be well done and I'll enjoy it, but I like DF as a fantasy world without magic, as it is now.

I'm greatly looking forward to an expanded magic system, because there is already plenty of magic in DF... what I'm dreading, however, is a spell system. Spells cheapen magic, they make it mundane, they make it controllable - magic in most games is the fantasy version of bullets and medpacks, and I don't want that. I want magic in DF, but I want it to be powerful magic, complex magic, meaningful magic. And I've never seen a magic system with "spells" pull that off. So I agree with the people who aren't looking forward to the Magic arc at all.

The three things I'd most like to see (that aren't in the next release):
Army Arc stuff like sieging and being sieged and tunnelers and all that potential FUN (ie difficulty and chance of death)

Graphics/UI overhaul, because then I can succesfully convince all my friends to play with me.

Retiring individual forts rather than abandoning them, and being able to slowly build up the strength of your particular civilization in this way.

Also, 4th: FPS improvement. I'm a very impatient person.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2009, 11:53:43 pm »

Improvement on how the game handles its multiple features to increase FPS.

Army arc.

Magic arc (to the point toady said a wizard would be able to magically engineer a creature, possibly even becoming a civ later on world gen).
I sort of expect wizards on DF to be sort of like the ones described on fantasy lore, not fireball flinging maniacs dedicated to combat only. I expect a wizard to be able to do things such as creating portals between worlds, summoning actual demons, making deals, materializing rock and other materials and transform said materials with his powers, creating new lifeforms and making them work for him, building him a tower and carefully planned labs and devices to capture and channel magical energy, and eventually messing with necromancy and becoming a lich. Course, all that would take a couple in game years of study and training.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:31 am »

Personally I prefer the pseudo-realism of DF without magic. But anyway.

Anything that makes Adventure mode more fleshed out is something I'm looking forward to, especially the use of skills and construction.

Second to that would be extending a Fortress' domain beyond the boundaries of the fortress.

Also can we list stuff in the next release? Because I can't wait for the hospitals or the new caves.
I'm sure you'll be able to remove the magic raws, if magic should be moddable.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57:23 am »

Magic arc (to the point toady said a wizard would be able to magically engineer a creature, possibly even becoming a civ later on world gen).
I sort of expect wizards on DF to be sort of like the ones described on fantasy lore, not fireball flinging maniacs dedicated to combat only. I expect a wizard to be able to do things such as creating portals between worlds, summoning actual demons, making deals, materializing rock and other materials and transform said materials with his powers, creating new lifeforms and making them work for him, building him a tower and carefully planned labs and devices to capture and channel magical energy, and eventually messing with necromancy and becoming a lich. Course, all that would take a couple in game years of study and training.

Hmm, here's a thought: have no combat magic. No fireball, magic missile, chain lightning or whatever, and no simple cure spells. Make it a utility rather than a weapon. Perhaps summon/charm creatures to fight for you, but magic could only be used offensively with creative applications, like setting alight that beer barrel you've just thrown at the enemy.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:05 am »

Well, the usual imp fireball and force lightning is aways fun, but it'd be infinetely more fun to mess with reality and world story with god like powers you developed over the game years.

Plus, who doesn't want to obliterate even retreats using fireballs and split trees apart with lightning?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 11:14:25 am »

Alternatively, have the fireball exist but its only effect is to set things on fire rather than directly harm the opponent. I don't know if the fire imps' attack works this way.

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 03:36:29 am »

AFAIK yes.

I'm looking forward most to adventurer mode improvements, such as relationships, skills and such.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 12:43:26 pm »

2- Adventurer skills

Who dosn't want to build a castle for their particularly successful adventurers?  This would likely remove the need for the the auto heal on travel system too.
After going around the local leys, defeating Giants, finding Little Jimmy who got lost in the woods again and walking into a Goblin Fortress, grabbing Slave Children (Sick Bastards) and taking them back to their homes, who doesn't want to return to a self-built castle?

To be honest, i've never imagined building a castle in Adventure Mode... I always imagine a two-tiered Bandit/Mercenary Hideout/Keep in the forest.
but, wow. A castle. Imagine that? And no boundaries, either! It could be HUGE.

I wonder if Toady will make it so that you can open your constructions up for people to move into? That's bordering close to Fortress Mode, except you can wander off and leave your people to it.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 12:56:21 pm »

As I recall, adventure and fortress mode are eventually supposed to merge and become the same thing.

So if I remember that correctly, then - yes, that would be possible. :D
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »

i bet you can embark on lands that an adventurer has built on too, which means you could say, build a fort with your bob-the-builder adventurer and then embark on the lands with your starting seven. Heck, we could finally build bridges across the oceans using adventurers.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 03:44:15 pm »

I'm looking forward to:

Those giant cavrens

Caravan Arc
And

The ability to milk cows.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:43 pm »

1. Adventurer Skills
2. Boats
3. Army Arc
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »

1.Fixed dragons
2.Magic arc
3.Continuation of world gen events during gameplay
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6