Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: unbreakable buildings.  (Read 1922 times)

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
unbreakable buildings.
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

I was wondering if theres a way to change the setting so that buildings dont break when they collapse. just like natural rock does.
The Idea is that I want to be able to build a bridge over the ocean and then build room that i can drop down to the ocean floor and that way build a "rapture" sort of city. any suggestions?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: unbreakable buildings.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:05:37 pm »

Not currently possible with modding. However, you can drain the ocean, build your city, and then let it flood again if you want an underwater city.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:11:26 pm »

Ok... oh well.
Is there a way to drain the ocean that doesn't involve incredible amounts of pumps?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:19:47 pm »

Magma.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »

Drain it into 1 tile of aquifer, then get rid of it somehow.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:48:05 pm »

Alternatively, a pillar of cast obsidian would work.  Drop it to the sea floor, hollow out the middle, and then go from there.

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:42:52 am »

Thanks for the ideas.
tough I dont think "magma." counts as a idea.

Final question. Is there a way to lower the temperature in such a way that the ocean freeze?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:51:02 am by Jostain the Green »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 09:02:18 am »

Not without a utility, I don't think; you could try the tile edit utility.  Not sure where you can find the version that works for a large number of tiles, though.  For the for each tile version, search "Tweak" on the DF wiki.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:18:43 am »

You could mod dwarves (Although I suggest some other animal) to have either a really high or low spec heat.

I think they die after freezing the first tile as cold, but there's a massive amount of lag as high heat.

There's probably more efficient ways to drain an ocean though modding.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 04:07:51 pm »

What about the magic liginite bin trick? Put it in a metal barrel, set it on fire using magma (need an iron or nickel bin though), and then drop it into the ocean. This require bauxite, since the bin needs to be over the ocean on a retractable bridge (hooked up to a lever) for this to work. Only pumping that should be required is what's needed to bring magma to the bridge
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 07:05:29 pm »

This require bauxite
Not necessarily; it depends on whether you use magma or a fiery creature.
Just so I remember

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:06 pm »

True, true. However, the trick is getting the firey creature where you need it-both methods have pros and cons. The magma one is foolproof, but requires bauxite and takes quite a bit more time setup. The creature one has an element of randomness in it (you either have to have a magma critter-typically an imp, as they're by far the most common one you'll encounter-set a dwarf stationed on the bin on fire, or stand on it and set fire to it itself (magmamen, maybe firemen?), both of which could be tricky to do. Then again, the same thing goes for pumping magma that distance.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:10:01 am »

Thanks for the ideas.
tough I dont think "magma." counts as a idea.
well duh! its a way off life.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:35:38 am »

couldn't you mod sea creatures to have ludicrously high spec heat, so that they evaporate the water away for you?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »

You could do that, but you would have to act fast because once the water disappeared then they would all air-drown and you would be back to an ocean. You would also probably need quite a few ocean creatures on map to be able to evaporate the water fast enough.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2