Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sci-fi mod  (Read 1508 times)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sci-fi mod
« on: June 13, 2009, 02:27:26 pm »

This little sci-fi "total-conversion" mod was originally intended for my own consuption, but i figured that the forum might want it.

Changes
Instead of the earth we are familiar with, the mod takes place on a strange planet populated with alien plants and creatures. The ground has been replaced with nasty fungus, slime and such; the "trees" are alien as well. There are (as of now) two races; the Terrans and the Vexx. Terrans are the only playable race, the vexx functions as the violent, nasty and somewhat intelligent alien antagonists.

There is a new smelter reaction: "plastic from biomass". It turns alien "wood" to a couple of plastic bars. Plastic is what i use to build my Terran base with (of course you could just dig into the fungus, but thats rather nasty!)

Crossbows are now phasers, you load them with energy cells.
Shields are now "shield generators" which have a very high block rate.
Swords are lightsabers, axes "autosaws" and picks are vaporizers.
Theres more stuff (plants,clothing etc) that you can find out on your own.

Metal strengths:
vexxite < plastic < duranthium < tri-strontium

What's not finished
Animals. There are horses and such wandering around that i'm to lazy to fix right now. Just kill 'em if it annoys you  ;D
[edit]There are alien beasts now.

Theres not a lot of new things to see; only a few types of rock etc.

If you are interested:
http://rapidshare.com/files/244259021/objects.zip
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:09:42 pm by Kadath »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-fi mod
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »

Yay! My underground sterilized base is now possible with-wait, is plastic white?

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:07:43 pm »

Yay! My underground sterilized base is now possible with-wait, is plastic white?
It's white, yes.

Unrelated - i just had an awesome idea. I'm going to change "horses" to "hoverbike" or something like it. Aliens attacking "mounted" on hoverbikes would be awesome.  ;)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:25:03 pm »

It's white, yes.

Unrelated - i just had an awesome idea. I'm going to change "horses" to "hoverbike" or something like it. Aliens attacking "mounted" on hoverbikes would be awesome.  ;)
Then what about the sentient hover bikes roaming around?

Just make it into an alien horse or something. Change its skin color, add a tentacle or two, make it have double jointed legs, and you're done.

I'll wait until you fix that, then I'll download.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:25:40 pm »

Just make it into an alien horse or something. Change its skin color, add a tentacle or two, make it have double jointed legs, and you're done.

I'll wait until you fix that, then I'll download.

Awright.
I can just disable all biomes for my hoverbike and it wont show up by itself.
I'll add the tentacle-beasties too :)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »

Fixed, there are alien beasts now. Updated first post with new raws.

I also discovered a humorus effect of including robots; there are "cleaning robot meat" and such for sale now  ::)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:20:33 pm »

[NOMEAT] should help with that.

Or maybe [NO_MEAT].  I'd need to check the wiki.

Good luck with the development, Kadath :)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:14:31 pm »

[NOMEAT] should help with that.

Or maybe [NO_MEAT].  I'd need to check the wiki.
It's the former.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:20:16 pm »

Goddam, I was thinking of doing something like this. Except my generic all-around material would be carbon tubes. Such a metal would be made from anything that has carbon, including plants and animals.

Then one would have an 'animal' called a reactor that would emit heat hot enough to kill anything near it. My plan was that they would die in a year and their corpse would be used in a reaction for whatever you need. Of course, I don't know if one can set it so a corpse won't melt anything nearby.

Still, lots of interesting things one can do.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »

What if you were to make 2 civilizations, one futuristic and the other primitive. I don't think it's been done before, and seems like it would be fun to me.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:23:49 am »

I have a problem.
Sometimes (or rather often), all produce the terrans are supposed to be able to take with them - potatoes etc. aren't available at the embark screen. Additionally the embark points are consideraby lower. What's happening? ???
What if you were to make 2 civilizations, one futuristic and the other primitive. I don't think it's been done before, and seems like it would be fun to me.
The vexx are primitive. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:25:42 am by Kadath »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »

I have a problem.
Sometimes (or rather often), all produce the terrans are supposed to be able to take with them - potatoes etc. aren't available at the embark screen. Additionally the embark points are consideraby lower. What's happening? ???
Your problems answered, in order:
1. The items in the raws are not biomed to be able to taken on the embark.
2. The items they start out with are more expensive than the vanilla ones.

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:50:12 am »

Your problems answered, in order:
1. The items in the raws are not biomed to be able to taken on the embark.
2. The items they start out with are more expensive than the vanilla ones.

I appreciate your help, but the problem runs a little deeper :)

My "potatoes" are identical to plump helmets in the raws, they only have a different icon, colour and name. They show up fine on embark sometimes, sometimes not.

If they do show up, i can afford the other items (anvil etc).
If they don't show up, my availabe points suddenly drop too.

After removing all items & animals except skills on the ambark screen, i get 1245 points to distribute (if potatoes exists); if potatoes do not exist i get 1060 points left. Strange?  ???

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:20:29 am »

What's even stranger is that you should have 2060 points.
Hm...

I recommend putting up da rawz. (I already modified your mod, so it can't be safe.)
EDIT: Oh wait, I see that you also meant skills. Yeah, that does sound like the potatoes are causing your strife. It may have to do that DF treats plump helmets specially. I recommend keeping plump helmets in the game, or changing the biome of potatoes to all instead of just underground.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:23:22 am by woose1 »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 05:35:00 pm »

I think the default embark stuff determines how many point you get to spend so if you made it expensive you would start with more total points.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.