Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: time period loophole  (Read 2288 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
time period loophole
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:13:25 pm »

since in the medieval ages magma had no seen use, the fact that dwarves use the stuff means that a plethora of magma based technology becomes available, eg a simple boiler system that produces power when water flows into it.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: time period loophole
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 01:26:02 pm »

While the general goal of this doesn't agree with what Toady watns to achieve, (I think, anyway.) it still makes a good point. A lot of dwarven technology is just the first step on a branch of inventions, they must have had of a lot of that for ages and are by fantasy steroetyping per definition interested in magma, rock, minerals, and other things to do with the underground.
That means that not only would dwarven technology be more advanced on the subject of magma-based stuff, but also with chemistry, stone constructions, etc.
On the other hand, elves, humans, and goblins would have similar specialities. Humans always settle near lakes, rivers, and seas, thus they would be better with naval based-stuff, elves could work wonders with (Still living) plants and trees, gobbos would be highly advanced in warfare and methods of inflicting pain, etc.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 01:49:20 pm »

elf cancels fight, hit by goblin disruptor... (I wish I knew where I was going with this)... anyways, the dwarves should have primitive boilers, maybe even turbines to harness this awesome steam!

goblin cancels loot elven corpse, under attack by domesticated plants.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 01:54:45 pm »

It could also function into their defenses-channeling magma through metal pipes in their water moats to boil the water and create steam, like people did in the 2D days, in order to utilize steam AND avoid clogging the moat with obsidian.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:59:46 pm »

Mmmm.. they could be able to make use of geisers. If the player would then somehow replicate a geiser effect by generating steam, that could work the same way. Under no circumstances should there be out-of-the-box constructions that make it easy to do so. It would be great the player could do it by building large constructions with steam chambers etc, more or less like a mechanical heart.

The machinery of the industrial revolution is out of the question. That would produce big, homogenous and therefore boring empires.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 02:26:14 pm »

Probably not going to happen.

Not that I want to turn this into a completely mechanized steam-driven universe.

Quote from: Toady One
Metal rails seem vaguely modern, going by our favorite dubious source, but I'm not as opposed to them as I am to steam locomotives and light bulbs and nuclear reactors, since dwarves should be capable of using metal if it's around.

Electricity is in about the same category for me as steam locomotives, I guess, as far as whether I'd ever find time to work on something like that for this game.

The phrase "too-advanced" process in the raws wasn't referring to the temperature, but to all this sort of thing.  Wikipedia has the Deville process at 1859.  I don't know the specifics, but since there were batteries and steam locomotives and electric telegraphs around then, I didn't want to go that far ahead in general, unless this stuff is demonstrably more likely than any of the previous mentioned critters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 02:37:14 pm »

I don't know

The Dwarven Magma technology is more based around the fact that Magma is more common, stable, safe, and uniform then magma in real life then them having technology that defies the time period.

I am sure people in the medieval period could create magma forges as well if they could have a constant stream of uniformly heated toxicless magma forever. Unfortunately such as thing just doesn't exist and even if it did it would usually be surrounded by chaos detrimental to human life.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »

Well, dwarves would have to notice adding water to magma produces steam. Dwarves have pipes. Therefore, it might be possible to produce steam by forcing magma or water through pipes surrouned by the other liquid, and then utilize this steam in defensive measures. It would certainly occur to dwarves sooner or later that  a) steam is dangerous, b) since it's dangerous and can kill a dwarf, it should do the same to elves and goblins. Then you get steam pipes for use as defensive measures. Requires simple experimentation to figure out, and nothing more.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:32 pm »

Well, dwarves would have to notice adding water to magma produces steam. Dwarves have pipes. Therefore, it might be possible to produce steam by forcing magma or water through pipes surrouned by the other liquid, and then utilize this steam in defensive measures. It would certainly occur to dwarves sooner or later that  a) steam is dangerous, b) since it's dangerous and can kill a dwarf, it should do the same to elves and goblins. Then you get steam pipes for use as defensive measures. Requires simple experimentation to figure out, and nothing more.
Were the dwarves born knowing how to forge metal? nay.

therefore, the only way to learn new things is to experiment

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:48 pm »

Or saunas.

Dwarves aren't always about deathtraps.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 03:16:51 pm »

Boilers alone are not anachronistic in Dwarf Fortress -- even the Romans used them.

Actually useful steam power did not happen until much later, but the Aeolipile existed as far back as the first century AD.

I would suggest that they exist primarily as curiosities -- things players can have fun with, but which are too dangerous or time-consuming to really use effectively on a large scale.  This avoids larger setting problems while remaining true to history, and gives us a new way to destroy our fortresses or whatever.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »

The mechanics for utilizing steam should exist. Steam should have properties that can be wielded. Pressure, heat, The ability to move things. Straightforward (b)uild->(S)team engine is a little too far, but pressurized steam could be used to launch things, power traps, and even scald things.

Imagine this:

SSSSSlH l
SSSSSl l l
SSSSSl l l          XX
~~~~l XXX=0==XXXX
MMMMl B          XXXXX
                    XXXXXXX

S=Steam
~=Water
M=Magma
H=Hatch
X=Rock block
"="=Metal bare
0=Hinge
B=Raising bridge

Okay, so from this position steam is pressurized in the chamber. The bridge is raised. Once the steam is sufficiently pressurized the hatch is released and the steam pushes the blocks on the left down, which raises the blocks on the right. The bridge is lowered and the thing is locked into place. When enemies come the bridge is raised, the rock blocks crush everything underneath, and the thing can be reset. By upgrading the game mechanics and adding a couple of new things (hinge and metal bars) such a contraption would be entirely possible without the need for compromising the games technological time period. Such things would have to be designed by the game players to utilize the mechanics of the game, so it would lead to a satisfying and rich experience without sacrificing anything. I realize that it would be very hard to code all this and stuff, but this would be ideal in my opinion.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27:01 pm »

Motive power from steam is far too advanced for our setting, claiming that the existence of the Aeolipile justifies inclusion of something equivalent to a 19th century steam engine capable of pulling/pushing heavy objects is a huge stretch.  The Aeolipile is a mere toy that was never put too any practical use, the necessary understanding of pressure, Hydraulics and torque didn't even exist, not to mention material limitations in metals and most importantly seals and lubricants necessary to make a steam engine.  Muscle power was always simpler, cheaper and more practical.  Take for example the Helepolis, the largest siege tower ever built at 160 tons, it possessed a sophisticated capstan driven set of rollers to move it (along with a lot of pushing from behind), we can see clearly that engineering on large scales is within the power of the ancient Greeks but steam is not yet usable for motive force.  The only use for steam at this point are heating (pipes in floors), so a goblin killing 'death sauna' seems reasonable but nothing that's holding pressure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helepolis
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 08:19:45 pm »

keep in mind that the Aeolipile was a low pressure system, like boiling water in a kettle, where as anything that has to do with useful steam power is a high pressure system. it is not a simple as corking the kettle and watching it pop off, since the pressure has to be controlled and vented at the right time. anything with any useful amount of reliable steam power is going to require fairly modern construction techniques.

on the other hand having magma boil water through a floor would be cool. actually, having magma burn anything through a floor would be cool, i think at least one whole level should be required as insulation and magma forges should be hot little hell holes that dwarfs can only work in for short periods of time. maybe they could go get a drink after every job. it would be a good balance for the fact that they do not require fuel.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:08:20 pm »

I think that almost everyone agrees that pipes would be useful constructions.
Dwarf-size underwater glass pipe for a scenic view?
Allowing water to flow around your passages rather than under or over?
Replacing that water with magma when a siege comes for a crawl-in oven?

All that with the creatures going through the pipes and the liquid outside.

Safe way to move liquids?
Hallway bordered with magma-filled pipes to roast anyone attempting to enter?
Linking said pipes to a lever to break off releasing the magma if they get too close to the fort entrance?

Magma/water crossover steam generator?
Water/water crossing, at diffrent pressures?

All we need is PIPES!

You just need 0s and 1s to program a computer, if you just have 0s, go for the 1 before attempting a 2!
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2