Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Traitorous foals! We're Under Attack!  (Read 6505 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traitorous foals! We're Under Attack!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 10:47:57 am »

The orcs can...path to my crossbow men :O? :D! This should be epic. Out of curiosity...did the wyverns have PET_EXOTIC as one of the tags? I don't think untamed animals with that tag or without the pet tag can breed.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 02:40:03 pm »

Spider-bear-carp-hippo-gorilla-avian-bat-horse-elephant
Ya missed "Fire man" and "Bronze collosus" but sounds pretty epic anyway.

As for effectiveness those buggers were pretty fierce.  They didn't fall prey to the flying pathfinding as often as I thought they would and they became quite a dangerous force.  Think a big greenskin with a crossbow riding on the back of a size 12 psudodragon with a paralyze poison stinger.
Really?  Sounds good.  I'm gonna have to go mod in Aviansies.  Ya know, like orcs, but a bit weaker.  And they fly.  I thought about making something like that, but I assumed that they'd just result in pathfinding fails.

Incidentally, if you were to give them the appropriate tags, might they try to fly in through your magma vent/ bottemless pit/ chasm/ irrigation system?

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 03:33:34 pm »

Isn't the way to make flyers path well, you need an entrance, so they can take a shortcut?
or am I mistatken.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 10:55:19 pm »

Something needs to be done to horses raws.

Do beak dogs have similar probs?
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 10:44:53 am »

Yea they won't try to path somewhere at all if there isn't a ground based route there.  But once they figure out that it is possible to get there they will take the shortest path available to them which can involve flying over a wall or whatnot.

The hitch comes up when they end up having to recalculate their path when in the air.  The pathing doesn't know where the hell it's trying to get there from, as it considers open space to be solid or something. So it just throws up a "You can't get there from here." No matter where it tries to move, and the flier hovers in place for the rest of it's natural life.  Unless it gets scared by something that can cause some short range random-ish pathing without checking connectivity. 

I imagine some could get stuck if they happen to be in the air when their squad gets destroyed, or something else causes them to try to path to the map edges, but a crossbow and some bolts can fix that.

No, they didn't have [PET_EXOTIC].  So that may explain why they didn't breed.  But they also didn't really wait too long before attacking, so they might not have had time to either.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:24 am »

This probably needs to be fixed at some point.  It could be made so that fliers treat each open square as an up/down stairway.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:11:57 pm »

Giant Gorilla Crabs, just saying, they are in my nightmares.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 [2]