Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you regret spoiling HFS for yourself?

Yes, I do.
- 19 (20%)
No, it was good to know.
- 49 (51.6%)
I don't care.
- 16 (16.8%)
I didn't spoil it for myself.
- 6 (6.3%)
What's HFS? 0.o
- 5 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you regret spoiling HFS for yourself? (spoilers of course)  (Read 1600 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to be pretty standard that the typical DF player spoils HFS before they breach it the first time.  Do you regret doing so yourself? 

I suppose I do, and judging by all of the hush-hush spoiler stuff surrounding HFS on here, I think many feel guilty about it as well.

But, hey, at least we'll have lots of new underground diversity to suprise ourselves with.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Do you regret spoiling HFS for yourself? (spoilers of course)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:07:17 pm »

It's pretty damn hard to avoid having it spoiled for you by others. When so many people carelessly talk about [redacted] weapons and armor and then the [redacted] coming from the [redacted], it gets spoiled whether you want it to or not.

That said, I wished I hadn't been spoiled. I would've liked find out how quickly my fortresses would be [redacted] by the [redacted] on my own.

Also, the wiki links to the [redacted] aren't very well hidden.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:29:52 pm »

Considering how pretty much none of my forts would otherwise be on HFS, AND how none of them as of yet (even the ones on HFS) have actually FOUND the HFS yet... No, I don't regret it. Now I know it is a parameter I need to add in the search box for maximum Fun.

w/o spoilers, I probably wouldn't see the inside of HFS for at least a year. Because seriously, how many maps with otherwise ideal features both contain HFS AND get mined out enough to randomly find it?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:35:17 pm »

Hitting the HFS of your own volition is rather unlikely, isn't it?  The vast majority of maps have no such feature, and unless you're searching for it, you probably won't embark on the mountains much.

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:43:48 pm »

It used to be an eventuality on every map in 2D.  I haven't even hit it in 2D though, so I don't regret it.  :P

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:51:19 pm »

It's actually funny.  My first real fort was built on HFS without me knowing it.  If it hadn't been spoiled, I would have been in for a surprise

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

I don't regret spoiling it.
It actually wasn't spoiled for me by the forums.
I was browsing the raws and found tentacle demons.
Then I noticed they have corrupt intentions.
And I said "WTF?"
Then I looked for them on the wiki.
I didn't even know about adamantine for a long time after knowing about demons.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 01:16:24 am »

I obviously wish I could have found it with no idea what it was, but I don't feel like I ever would have found it had I not heard about it and gone looking. Nonetheless, I was very impressed when 30 fiery demons poured out, fighting my 10 steel clad champions in an incredible pitched battle through the mines. In an amazing display of heroics the champions held the demons long enough for a mason to remove one of the walls set up when we broke the aquifer, and the mines were flooded, along with all the soldiers and random civilians who had headed down to collect the armour of the fallen and been frightened down side passages. The ensuing tantrum spiral was incredible, with the fact that one SOF had made it up before the flood and was slaughtering dwarves in the burial level. With only 4 dwarves left, only 1 not resting or in melancholy, I was delighted with the HFS, even though I had known what it was.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:35:16 am »

It appears that I was one of the "lucky" few...  for my first few forts I wasn't aware that there was a wiki, or even that this forum existed!

So I found HFS all by my li'l lonesome.  "Adamantine?  What's that?  Ooooh!  Pretty!  I'd better recover all I can..." 

Needless to say, that fort went downhill rapidly.  If I'd known about HFS I might've actually had a chance to DO something with the ore I dug out, instead of having so much fun.   >:(

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:59:43 am »

I don't regret it. Honestly, I'd never have found the pits if it hadn't been spoiled. I might have dug deep enough to hit the top of the vein, but I wouldn't have known that it goes through z-levels or that you need to use the strand extraction labor before its useful.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 02:03:14 am »

I regret it but then I doubt I would have found it myself anyway.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:32:30 am »

Nope, it saved me a couple forts. Best to know about these things before you land in the oven .
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 05:10:50 am »

I don't regret it at all. I panic really fast and although losing is fun, panicking is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 05:14:01 am »

I haven't actually found HFS yet.  My current map is mostly mountainous though, so I guess you never know.  I have found a nice flux/ underground river/ magma pipe/ non aquifer/ HFS location for me to try on another one of my worlds, however.
Pages: [1] 2