Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pipes and You  (Read 8615 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Pipes and You
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

Pipes (especially shoddy ones) could also have a chance to leak (perhaps spitting out 1/7 tiles of liquid every now and then) and a smaller chance to burst spilling everything inside all over the place, which could be bad in the case of magma.

Perhaps pipes would just decay in quality over time and have to be replaced, or perhaps it would be random based on quality but they shouldn't be totally fullproof because that's not fun enough.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 03:31:17 pm »

I think most people actually enjoy the possibility that one wrong move could drown your dwarves in a hilarious way. I don't know if your fort has ever drowned but its a spectacular sight as the mines flood, crafts are carried off in a tsunamai by the water, the dwarves start freaking out about dangerous terrain...its so much fun! I want to flood my fort again but it always feels like cheating to purposely cause devestation.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 03:48:53 pm »

I like this. Why? A constructed pipe would take up one space. A tunnel-pipe-thing like we have to use now, takes up three spaces. Way more efficient. And logical.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 03:55:46 pm »

I like this. Why? A constructed pipe would take up one space. A tunnel-pipe-thing like we have to use now, takes up three spaces. Way more efficient. And logical.
Not only that, these pipes don't leak if you accidentally overlooked pressure or something.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 04:20:32 pm »

Actually, I think the idea of low quality or poor material pipes bursting under too much presure could be much fun.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »

Constructed pipes shouldn't create a floor on the z-level above.  They should appear as open space from the z-level above, forcing you to construct some sort of flooring above them if you want to be able to walk over them.

Also, pipe sections should either be directional with options for creating elbow and T and cross junctions in piping, or you should be able to denote which of the siz up-down-north-south-east-west directions are open and which are not.  This may allow a player to construct a multi-tile, multi-z-level tank from piping.  Perhaps a fluid tank could be a different item that can connect to piping.

You should also have the ability to create a special valve pipe section, allowing you to cut off the flow of liquid through the piping, operated similar to a lever (or able to be connected to a lever via mechanisms).
Computer says 'No'.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:30 pm »

Constructed pipes shouldn't create a floor on the z-level above.  They should appear as open space from the z-level above, forcing you to construct some sort of flooring above them if you want to be able to walk over them.

Also, pipe sections should either be directional with options for creating elbow and T and cross junctions in piping, or you should be able to denote which of the siz up-down-north-south-east-west directions are open and which are not.  This may allow a player to construct a multi-tile, multi-z-level tank from piping.  Perhaps a fluid tank could be a different item that can connect to piping.

You should also have the ability to create a special valve pipe section, allowing you to cut off the flow of liquid through the piping, operated similar to a lever (or able to be connected to a lever via mechanisms).

This just gave me a idea.

Complex piping used for traps.

It's like logic gates, only less messier.
With the cutoff valves inside the pipe, like, If the enemy takes a certain route, or dodges your water trap, the cutoff valve can open, making the water go to a second room, where it floods the room as well.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 10:31:30 pm »

Actually, I think the idea of low quality or poor material pipes bursting under too much presure could be much fun.
As long as we have a reasonable way to manage pressure in pipes, I've no problem with this. But most fluid management in DF tends to be "Shove 7/7 of water in at this end, and let it percolate through to 1/7 depth at the other end", which isn't exactly fine-grained. Perhaps if pumps had controllable "faucets" on the end?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Will we still have to rip out the wall to put in a pipe? Because I dont want to. I would rather rip out half the wall.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 12:12:53 am »

Will we still have to rip out the wall to put in a pipe? Because I dont want to. I would rather rip out half the wall.

They probably are able to be placed on walls.

Also, that faucet idea is a great idea. Perhaps, even make a reverse faucet, where it sucks up water when 7/7 water is next to it or something.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 01:40:06 am »

Agreed.  You might also be able to put up a furniture item similar to a well, but called the spigot or faucet.  Something like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Water_pump.jpg
Computer says 'No'.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 02:58:09 am »

Could sprinkler systems be implemeted too? It would be great if you could irrigate farms with these.  If farms are updated so they need to be muddied more than once then pipes and sprinklers should be plant'onable and not effect the tile they are on.

Using one pipe and one mechanism, sprinklers would be set to either open or closed, and either spray or accept liquid based on the internal pressure.

Magma sprinklers anyone?  :P 

I REALLY like this idea. This is a must-have.

(I love the idea of leaky pipes too by the way, it would be cool to have little mushrooms growing by themselves along corridors (after underground diversity updates))
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 03:05:38 am by BradB »

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 03:18:45 am »

Guys, don't forget the complex trap rooms that you can make with these pipes!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 10:57:31 am »

You could do sprinklers just by setting up a series of low-pressure outlet valves in your pipes. Not particularly complicated.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 11:08:07 am »

hahaha mudied tiles  ;D . With a good system we could get ricefields that are constantly under 1/7 water, Bathtubes / showers for every dorf and such stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4