Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pipes and You  (Read 8616 times)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Pipes and You
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:54:57 pm »

Nobody likes how water always splashes around with pressure, thus one small mistake can end up with your entire fortress flooded.

Or how your magma always usually opens up a whole new way into your fortress for imps and seemingly indestructible flaming men.
Thus, I introduce to you...

Pipes!
Generally, you build a pipe out of the mason/carpenter's, and then you can place it like a axle, where you can make vertical and horizontal. Generally, how they work, is that they help transport magma/water in a more safe and organized way. The pipes would be able to be walked over, thus saving room, and they won't leak. To start, first, you place a Pipe opening at a water/magma source, which works like a screw pump without the power. Then, you attach a pipe to the other side. After wiring your fortress with complex pipe assemblies, you place another opening on the end of the pipe, which can be set as the "Pipe end", where water/magma comes out of. Using this, transporting magma and water will be more easier, without having to do complex pumping or such, especially when you made a mistake.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pipes and You
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »

This has been suggested before. Please use the search next time.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:27:07 pm »

You can kind of do this in a primitive way with one tile wide tunnels. Emphasis on the primitive without some source of power to move the water.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:25:21 pm »

You can kind of do this in a primitive way with one tile wide tunnels. Emphasis on the primitive without some source of power to move the water.
This however does not allow water and magma to travel side-by-side in a 2 tile wide passage on the same z level; and if it is not made entirely out of construtions, it is a possibility your lack of concentration will cause a break through in the bottom/sides (and possibly even top) of this dwarf-sized tunnel-pipe.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:33:33 pm »

This has been suggested before. Please use the search next time.

Link?

I didn't find anything when I searched pipes.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:06:51 pm »

After wiring your fortress with complex pipe assemblies, you place another opening on the end of the pipe, which can be set as the "Pipe end", where water/magma comes out of. 
Called a tap?
And would it possible to make stone pipes for the magma

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:59 pm »

Quick search yielded this, among many other, results:
link
As a hint, remember to restrict your search to just the Suggestions forum; by default the searcher will check all forums, which isn't generally helpful.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:14 am »

It should be pointed out that the search button isn't really great. It takes forever to bring back results, it's very touchy, and if you screw it up (extremely easy to do), you then have to sit and wait for it to reset.

Other than that, it's not smart, in terms of any AI search algorhythms.
For they would be your masters.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:16:52 am »

Odd; I've never had trouble with it. You do need to make certain that it only searches the one forum you want (generally the Suggestions or Bug Reports forum); searching the entire place will take a long time. Otherwise, you just have to pick the right keywords.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:42 am »

Results for a search for "pipe" in Suggestions.  Yeah, it's commonly suggested.

Here's what I posted in one of these recently:

Bloat316, PIPE SECTIONS, (Future): Square-filling pipes sections that you can place and walk inside and hook together over many tiles and fill with fluids and stuff.

See if you can build on ideas from these threads:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3450.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5770.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3349.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19863.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5770.0

Toady's comments on the implementation of pipes:
I've laid some of the...  pipe... for pipes...  pipe.  But there's some trickiness.  Ideally, you'd be able to walk on a pipe, walk in a pipe, not see through a pipe, not be able to walk through the walls of a pipe, flow things and freeze things and obsidian stuffs in a pipe, and make interesting T and 5 and 6 and 4 directionally and corner pipe sections and lay them out however.  I'll do it at some point.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:24:17 am by Footkerchief »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:25:37 am »

I'm probably not patient enough for it. I'm better with people/animals than with machines.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 01:31:14 am »

well, we already do have pipe sections, it would just be nice to be able to lay them down as furniture.  The question is if dwarfs can travel within a pipe?
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 01:38:12 am »

If not dwarfs, kobolds.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 02:57:20 am »

Rats, cats, puppys, babys essentially everything that has small rel-size.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »

This would be great. No more pump towers, YAY!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: [1] 2 3 4