Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Megaproject... need ideas and such...  (Read 2072 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject... need ideas and such...
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 04:02:21 pm »

My bad about the episodes. -shrugs- I've been a little off track lately and Dwarf Fortress and my car has been keeping me sane. (Yes dwarf fort is assisting in keeping me sane.)

But yeah, I would like to make the gungan-like city just cause I think it'd be kinda cool. I'll have to think about it more and see some more ideas of megafortresses.
Wait, the droid foundry?  Might be good project in itself.  Of course, there would need to be a complex series of screwpumps to send molten metal and magma everywhere.

Um I think Gungans are Jar-Jar's people, with the bubble cities.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 04:45:42 pm »

Unfortunately, DF does not have nearly enough mechanical devices (see: making things actually move) to replicate anything near what the droid foundary is like.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 05:07:18 pm »

You could use pressurized water to move things but it would probably kill your FPS and would have to be highly regulated to prevent disasters.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »

Yeah, the droid factory would be near impossible, but the gungan city would be fairly... easy to replicate.

It was either under a giant ocean area (I keep getting shallow oceans almost like Florida coast) or on that spire to be  made to look some what like a tree.

My current fort is using a lot of circles for everything and it looks cool, putting them into spheres is a tad bit harder seeing as I can't figure out whether or not my current set up is water sealed or not.

I was building a giant pyramid, but it was like a Mayan pyramid (a lot more flat... only 15 z levels.) but I would've preferred a many z-level pyramid.

I've been thinking about using mass water, doesn't seem to affect the FPS too badly. Only draining the ocean.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 07:12:06 pm »

Play Morrowind and check out some of the Telvanni towers. Then build those (as best you can) in DF.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »

Yeah, the droid factory would be near impossible, but the gungan city would be fairly... easy to replicate.

It was either under a giant ocean area (I keep getting shallow oceans almost like Florida coast) or on that spire to be  made to look some what like a tree.

My current fort is using a lot of circles for everything and it looks cool, putting them into spheres is a tad bit harder seeing as I can't figure out whether or not my current set up is water sealed or not.

I was building a giant pyramid, but it was like a Mayan pyramid (a lot more flat... only 15 z levels.) but I would've preferred a many z-level pyramid.

I've been thinking about using mass water, doesn't seem to affect the FPS too badly. Only draining the ocean.

As far as I can tell, any fluid that isn't 1 or 7 is taking up simulation.  Using water to move things would definitely use CPU to simulate but an elegant system would be awesome.

That just gave me an idea to use rivers (artificial) with grates at various locations to move your products around.  I'll have to investigate how this would work more and implement it in my mega project.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 2 [3]