Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: District-9, August 14th  (Read 6481 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: District-9, August 14th
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 03:54:53 pm »

I got in this kind of argument with my mom over the movie. Humanizing them doesn't make sense, because they are not human. It's kind of like going to Africa and calling black people who have never set foot out of their home countries 'African-American', because you've gotten so tied to political correctness in the United States. I can only imagine doing such a thing would be vaguely insulting. In the Case of the Prawns, why would you think they even want to be humanized? Why would you think they want to be seen as equatable to human beings?

They are sapient entities for certain, but they are not human. In an attempt to humanize them, they were given human, English names; I don't think Christopher Johnson was alone in that regard. The effect may be humanizing, but it is de-prawn-izing. When African slaves were brought to America, new, English names were imposed on them for similar reasons, to remove them from their culture and impose a new one that was considered by the Americans at that time as somehow better.

It is not adequate for me to look at an alien entity and feel some sort of equality with this being due to aspects that I could call somehow humanizing. Rather, I feel the proper reason for one to look at an alien as an equal is because we share the common spark of consciousness, something more universal than any human trait.
!!&!!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 05:27:11 pm »

By humanizing, I mean, the movie tried to show that the stereotypes about prawns were incorrect. However, this is done through a seemingly intelligent prawn named Christopher. All the other prawns never showed any signs of intelligence that christopher showed. In fact, I don't care about the average prawn, but Christopher... He's maih bre bre. (for those not in California - He's my brother)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »

Sorry to resurrect, but Neill Blokamp had an interview where he answered a few questions about topical material. Spoilerized for spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
!!&!!

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2009, 05:41:10 pm »

When I first saw the trailer for this, I thought it was a Halo movie.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »

Ahhh, Yes. Ironically, the idea Neil gives us fits perfectly in with the story and the set up. Why Chris was in charge and intelligent is a natural function of their species.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2009, 06:55:34 am »

Actually, the movie explicitly tells us that they are stupid and simple-minded and the in-movie characters theorize that all their leaders died off in an infection. It's in the movie.

Taking what the movie tells you at face value is rather simplistic, especially for a movie that includes misinformation as one of its key themes, especially for one in which the characters are proven wrong over and over.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »

Actually, the movie explicitly tells us that they are stupid and simple-minded and the in-movie characters theorize that all their leaders died off in an infection. It's in the movie.

Taking what the movie tells you at face value is rather simplistic, especially for a movie that includes misinformation as one of its key themes, especially for one in which the characters are proven wrong over and over.
Please read the rest of the thread before you accuse other people.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2009, 04:46:05 pm »

Read the last few posts especially.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2009, 07:57:00 pm »

So it was sarcasm or something?  I'm confused.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2009, 01:32:12 am »

I saw it and it was awesome. Worth seeing.

The only thing I did not get was WHY would "Fuel" IE something that just stores energy, very likely chemical energy from the looks of it, completely and successfully mutate foreign never-before-encountered DNA on contact so perfectly unless it was already designed to. That would not be "Fuel". They have a lot of explaining to do there. Christopher seemed to recognize that the main character (with a forgettable name) came across the fuel by the fact it was mutating him. It wasn't some spontaneous mutation then.

In fact, the whole "OMG I'm turning into an alien, the aliens are now the good guys to me as the main character and I have motivation to give a shit about them" came off as a very off-the-wall plot device to accomplish what it did.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:40:15 am by Idiom »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 02:26:16 am »

My guess is that it isn't fuel. The behavior of the substance when Christopher is seen messing with it in the makeshift chemistry lab gives the impression that it's something more interesting than simply fuel.

My guess as to what the substance is also answers some problems regarding interstellar travel.

Nanomachines. The reasoning behind this is that the quantity of it seems far too little for it to feasibly power a spaceship. My suspicion is that they are instead programmed to perform a variety of tasks, including synthesizing fuel from waste or another stored substance. Another possible task they could be programmed to do is medical. During interstellar travel, there is an Extremely massive amount of interstellar radiation. It is kept out of solar systems by the pressure of solar gases and by the magnetic fields of Stars and Planets. Beyond the reach of these fields, radiation is unblocked.

This makes interstellar travel without a way to protect DNA from the damaging effects of radiation dangerous or even impossible. One solution may be using nanomachines to automatically repair the damage. If another organism were exposed to such machines, the genetic code of the creature may be seen as a scrambled version of Prawn DNA, whereupon the machines would act to 'correct' it.

Remember that Christopher never refers to it as Fuel, but as Black Fluid.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:19:09 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2009, 04:13:58 am »

Well, I just saw it.  It was cool!  Great action, yet also thought provoking.  When I first heard there were no Americans in the film I didn't really think much of it, but setting it in South Africa really gave it something.  That and the action sequences were really damn cool, while still not becoming superfluous to the plot.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2009, 09:45:05 am »

Saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. At first I was thinking this was going to be a B-movie because of the start and all but 10 minutes later I was all like "Wow pretty cool effects.".

The best part was the end. You guys know that thingy that was used that was super cool? It was super cool (don't know how to use spoiler tags).
Wish I had one of those thingys.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2009, 10:53:47 am »

I loved this movie to death.  Thought provoking and AWESOME.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:46 pm »

In fact, the whole "OMG I'm turning into an alien, the aliens are now the good guys to me as the main character and I have motivation to give a shit about them" came off as a very off-the-wall plot device to accomplish what it did.
Well, there is a reason why the aliens are now the...  'good guys'.  His human 'buddies' wanted to pick him apart, literally. 

Humanity, as a theme here is not an acceptable bunch.  You see his arm changing into a prawn arm.... and you have the media telling you that he was making love with em prawn and caught a highly infectious disease...

What would you think?  After seeing the media propaganda and him?
What would you do?
I figure that gives you a better look... as to where he would turn.

As for the 'I now give a shit'... it really was only Christopher and his kid.  Christopher, at first, was his lifeline to changing back, it develops with that comrade fighting together thing?  The kid, like a brat... you hang out with him and know him more on a personal level... instead of 'as just another Prawn'. 

Ya know?  Its that whole monkey sphere thing.  Or something similar to it.

Also, great movie.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6