Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: District-9, August 14th  (Read 6474 times)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: District-9, August 14th
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 04:21:56 am »

Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself. In some parts the plot didn't make sense like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 09:17:41 am »

Independance Day remake.
Looks more like an Alien Nation remake to me.

I'll likely wait for this to come out on DVD as the second trailer didn't grab me like the first one did. Does it all just turn into an action movie by the end?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 10:34:53 am »

Yes, but that's no discredit to it. Its more intellegent than your average action movie, and the setting and style of the intro is refreshingly different. Some parts of it really "make you think".

Note to all though, its a rather gory movie.
Magma is overrated.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 03:06:47 pm »

Saw it 3 hours ago.  I thought it was great.  Right DUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEE?

One of my favorite parts is...

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 03:08:42 pm »

Note to all though, its a rather gory movie.

Haha, yeah, the weapons are well:

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 06:10:24 pm »

Saw it. Did not like overly much. It was good and all, but I finally saw Transformers 2 right before it, so all the cool shit was kinda meh in comparison.

Well if you compare budgets, obviously the CG in Transformers is going to be much more amazing.

I felt like I was watching a bipolar schitzo describing to me the original plot due to the scriptments and multiple writers. Half the characters disappear. The movie loses key elements and gains new ones like a kid with ADHD in a candy shop that has samples. It becomes long winded.

Oh yeah, why doesn't the bad guy - WHO CAN TELEPORT not just TELEPORT and kill all the heroes when Optimus is dead? Logic fail.

But, this bipolar schitzo is also an artist, so it looks pretty damn good.

Wait- Did Picasso or Van Gogh write the script?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »

Saw it. Did not like overly much. It was good and all, but I finally saw Transformers 2 right before it, so all the cool shit was kinda meh in comparison.

Well if you compare budgets, obviously the CG in Transformers is going to be much more amazing.

I felt like I was watching a bipolar schitzo describing to me the original plot due to the scriptments and multiple writers. Half the characters disappear. The movie loses key elements and gains new ones like a kid with ADHD in a candy shop that has samples. It becomes long winded.

Oh yeah, why doesn't the bad guy - WHO CAN TELEPORT not just TELEPORT and kill all the heroes when Optimus is dead? Logic fail.

Blackbird was the only one that was teleporting, AFAIK, and he was with the good guys.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:04 am »

Blackbird was the only one that was teleporting, AFAIK, and he was with the good guys.

No, he teleported them all. I'm talking about the fallen, who would warp through space -seemingly teleporting.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 08:03:33 am »

I thought he was just moving too fast to see.

I think Transformers 2 was incredibly ambitious, (in terms of fight scenes), but there were some problems with the final fight. I couldn't tell who was doing what.

And, yes, so many plot holes. SO MANY.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 12:49:04 am »

Back on topic, I saw District 9 two days ago and really enjoyed it. As far as I know with the humans killing Wikka thing, I THINK they were after his tissues to sell to others for study while he was still ~50% human. They didn't want to wait in case he turned completely alien - they don't appear to have had much luck with gene splicing human and alien in the past. And as for the fuel thing - it took 20 years for the dude to get enough fuel to do anything useful. And somehow I don't think the humans would've helped if they knew what it could do. Still, a really good movie.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 12:51:03 am »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 02:30:42 am »

We don't know what the aliens are actually called. Prawns are the degatory term. Sort of like pinko.

I loved the movie. I'm just wondering why their fuel can turn humans into aliens and why that tiny amount of fuel can power the whole mothership, but whatever. It's not as completely retarded as Transformers.

I also appreciate the complete lack of American supermachoism in the movie and the lack of American actors. Very refreshing. Not that I hate America, but just... it gets really tiresome when every single blockbuster hit is filled with America.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 08:53:46 am »

The main character's accent is perfect.   ;D

The best part is I knew none of the actors in this movie and it was really good!

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 11:36:23 am »

We don't know what the aliens are actually called. Prawns are the degatory term. Sort of like pinko.

I loved the movie. I'm just wondering why their fuel can turn humans into aliens and why that tiny amount of fuel can power the whole mothership, but whatever. It's not as completely retarded as Transformers.

I also appreciate the complete lack of American supermachoism in the movie and the lack of American actors. Very refreshing. Not that I hate America, but just... it gets really tiresome when every single blockbuster hit is filled with America.

The mothership is constantly running on mininal power (so it floats) and the fluid has nanobots or something, used to repair both Prawn technology and biology.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6