Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Injuries in Adventure Mode  (Read 3103 times)

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injuries in Adventure Mode
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 08:09:46 pm »

You can do that now if you want.  There's nothing (aside from geography, thirst and starvation) stopping you from crossing the continant on the local level at the moment because the game DOES load the next maps.

Travel mode is currently a shorthand for lots of things mentioned in the plans that aren't in currently.  Seeing as we can't forage, treat ourselves or do anythign more complex than ripping another living thing to pieces in adventure mode at the moment, travel mode is a stop gap for lots of things we'll be dependant on when those parts of it get removed.

Adventurer survival is going to plummet when the auto-healing gets removed.  Hundreds of casualties to nasty diseases and long-term injuries.  Infectious wounds causing our beloved heroes to die in agony, far from the nearest help.

Personally I'd always want the time-saving device offered by faster abstract travel - at the very least across areas I've already explored on the world map.  As a player, dealing with travel on that level would be frustrating rather than enjoyable or interesting for me.  But for anyone who disagrees with me? Knock yourself out! You can walk from settlement to settlement following the roads in the latest build.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:52 pm »

I think that maybe the introduction of doctors and healers/ first aiders in the next update may help the injury thing.  So if you, say, get a serious wound, they would be able to stop the bleeding and help it stop being fatal.  Maybe if you have a wound that renders you unconcious they could drag you to the nearest town, have you rest, and then you wake up several months later when you're better.  Of course, wounds like losing your throat would remain a problem.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 08:22:54 am »

that will mean that i'l need a medkit of some type
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

GaGrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 01:11:08 pm »

Legendary doctor performs open-heart surgery on self with rusty spoon.  Success!  ;D

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »

I'm thinking more "Emergency bandage" than "Triple bypass operation" but yeah :P

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »

Off-topic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:08 am »

Legendary doctor performs open-heart surgery on self with rusty spoon.  Success!  ;D

Black Jack, Dwarf doctor, begins performing surgery on broken leg.
The Dingo bites Black Jack, Dwarf doctor!
The shot glances away.
The shot glances away.
The shot glances away.
The shot glances away.
The shot glances away.
The shot glances away.
Black Jack, dwarf doctor, has completed performing surgery on broken leg.
Pages: 1 [2]