Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: John DeFoe quadrology (Chzo Mythos).  (Read 5592 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
John DeFoe quadrology (Chzo Mythos).
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:46:25 am »

Suprisingly, I couldn't find a topic for this despite numerous searches.

The John DeFoe quadrology is a series of adventure games by Ben "Yahtze" Croshaw.

5 Days a Stranger

7 Days a Skeptic

Trilby's Notes

6 Days a Sacrifice

Feel free to ask questions of plot advancement here, but since this is an adventure game series, try to keep most of it spoilered.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: John DeFoe quadrology (Chzo Mythos).
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:50:05 am »

And if you don't care to play the games Deceased Crab Has playthroughs of each one.

Again... ONLY Watch them if you plan NEVER to play the series.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:35 am »

I can't believe there wasn't already a topic for this. Huh.

Anyway, I love the series and I'm a massive girl when it comes to horror. It's just that good.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:09:10 am »

While I enjoyed watching the lets-plays for the series immensely, I never had a love for point and click adventure games for many reasons better people have summarized for me: The 'logic' is always based upon the rather unintuitive traps the authors and creators create. Apply battery to toy? The toy then becomes alive and enters a mouse hole, where it then finds a secret lab that gets you a vial that needs to be used on the little girl down the street to win the game.

Or items from the beginning of the game that seem either completely useless or seem useful everywhere that are needed at the end of the game. Or split-second actions that are needed to win. Or really small objects in a cluttered scene. Or any number of shenanigans that makers do.

The John DeFoe quadrology didn't seem to have too much of that, but it still had it's shares of such things.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

The first game is decent.

But I do remember encountering a game breaking glitch that made it impossible to beat at the last day. (The teddy bear for some reason wasn't in my inventory.)

Atomic Communist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:50 am »

Or split-second actions that are needed to win.

The one in space (7 Days I think?) has this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:56:05 am »

Right clicking stops time long enough for you to find what you are suppose to do. Even if you are using a mouse pad you should be able to finish the games.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 03:57:41 pm »

So I beat the first two games and then something terrible happened, a scalpel wielding maniac hacked into Yahtze's brain and removed a large chunk leaving him mentally retarded and resulting in the horrible controls and text/font in the third game! Seriously what was wrong with the controls of the first two games? Or at least make it so he moves when I hold down the button rather than making me press it again to make him stop. And why oh why are all the letters of horribly varying height? as I read them it screws up what people are saying in my mind by placing in pauses and strange emphasis on different letters.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »

So I beat the first two games and then something terrible happened, a scalpel wielding maniac hacked into Yahtze's brain and removed a large chunk leaving him mentally retarded and resulting in the horrible controls and text/font in the third game! Seriously what was wrong with the controls of the first two games? Or at least make it so he moves when I hold down the button rather than making me press it again to make him stop. And why oh why are all the letters of horribly varying height? as I read them it screws up what people are saying in my mind by placing in pauses and strange emphasis on different letters.
All his games are allusions to other games. The instruction manual says the game style copies some adventure game i never heard of before. It adds another layer to the puzzel, or another sack to the donkey's back, depending on your prespective. It is only on the third game, 6 days a sacrifice gors back to the controls of 7 days a stranger.

I think Trilby's notes has the best story out of them all though.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »

Played the first two and enjoyed them both, was going through an AGS binge at the time and they were some of my first indie games. Might have the check the others out. I must admit though I'm not fantastic at point and click games but if they have good plot they tend to suck me in.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 06:02:52 pm »

All his games are allusions to other games. The instruction manual says the game style copies some adventure game i never heard of before. It adds another layer to the puzzel, or another sack to the donkey's back, depending on your prespective. It is only on the third game, 6 days a sacrifice gors back to the controls of 7 days a stranger.

I think Trilby's notes has the best story out of them all though.

I agree.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:20 pm »

You know, I was just in an adventure game mood recently but honestly I never found these games that appealing for some reason... And that's because I an a damned horror nut.

Maybe I should try them anyway. Well after I finish Waxworks that is.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:04 pm »

All his games are allusions to other games.

Some people may say blatantly ripped off mostly because they are interesting amalgamations of other movies often dirrectly copying scenes.

Though to admit they pull it off well and I prefer 7 days a skeptic over 5 days a stranger.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 12:00:52 pm »

Oh god...

Okay, so I had decided, upon first reading this thread, that I wasn't interested in playing these games. So I went ahead and started watching the Diseased Crab Let's Play. I usually don't handle horror so well (I have something like a photographic memory; if I see it, I can replay it just a vividly as the first time I saw it. Good for adventure games, not so much horror flicks, when what I have seen can't be unseen.). About three quarters if the way through 5 Days, I decided the game wasn't so bad, and decided to download them and play through as much as I could at work last night.

5 Days was excellent, and I managed to figure out the ending. I enjoyed it quite a bit. So I decided, fresh from my victory, to tackle the next one. 7 Days a Skeptic.

I am at the end sequence. I think. But I'm not going to finish it. I simply can't. I won't spoil the game for others by going into why, but... zombie Jesus on a pogo-stick, this one is absolutely FUCKED UP!

I'm going to watch the vids for the ending of 7 Days, and the remaining two for closure, but I don't think I'll be touching these again.

*Shudders*

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:13:13 pm by Jackrabbit »
Pages: [1] 2 3