Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumps and water pressure  (Read 588 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Pumps and water pressure
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:12:40 am »

Got a bit of a conundrum. I understand that pumps reset water pressure to its level, and so I want to make use of this in this situation:

Code: [Select]
[Side view]
________   ____ Ground level
       |~~~|   Brook
       |~|    Channeled down
       |~| *
       |~ pp_    Pump and where I want the water to be.
       |~| *

So that's fine, right? But my problem is: How do I supply the pump with power? Are my only options to power it from those asterisked areas? Because it seems to me that if the axles or gears are on the same level as the pump, the water will be able to squirt out and flood everything. Which, in this case, is not what I'm after.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Pumps and water pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 03:20:24 am »

it will be stuck on the same level as the pump. You can power a pump from any place adjacent to the pump. Up down, right left, above below. you could also make it dorf operated but i'm not sure if that would be safe with this design.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 03:56:27 am »

The dark green square on the pump is impassable; you can stick an axle horizontally next to the pump going in to the walkable square and the water won't be able to leak past the pump even if it wants to.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:10 am »

Alternativly water depressurizes if made to flow horizontally
I.E.
Code: [Select]
     XXX       
XXXXXX~XXXX
~~~~~~X~~~~
XXXXXX~XXXX
     XXX
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:45:18 am »

The dark green square on the pump is impassable; you can stick an axle horizontally next to the pump going in to the walkable square and the water won't be able to leak past the pump even if it wants to.

Water goes diagonally, doesn't it? Well, the open tile of the pump would be filled with water, which can go diagonally out, right?

X
X=

Water would move from the light green tile (passable part of the pump), diagonally to the axle, right?

Also, Tcei, I'll try that. Thanks!
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:18:00 am »

Make sure you have several diagonal exits for water flow if you're then going to pump the water somewhere after that.  A pump will pump faster than 1 diagonal feeder.  (If the only purpose of the pump was to kill water pressure, they're not needed at all, and water flow is up to you.)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:12:24 am »

If you are willing to have plenty of power to spare, you can do the following:  Create a second pump perpendicular to the first pump, and place the impassable tile of the second pump up against the first pump.  The second pump is used merely to transfer power, and can be surrounded with walls as needed to keep water out.

In the diagram, if you're pumping ↑, you can use the pump on the right to transfer power.  The diagram show a mechanism at the far end, but it could go anywhere adjacent to the open end of the power-transfer pump (above, below, behind, or to the side), and you could use axles instead of gears, too, of course.

#~#
#~#
#XXX
#X#
#~#
###

You can use this sort of scheme whenever you need to transfer power but block passage of nearly any kind.  I assume building destroyers could wreck the pumps, so that's the only problem I can think of.  With proper vertical power transfer, however, you could block non-flying building destroyers, and flyers have all manner of pathing issues, so that might be a fool-proof combination for transfering power through impassable tiles.

galaban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:30:34 am »

It sounds like you want to do something like this:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-14346-pressure-safewells

It looks like they have built a vertical shaft that exists directly on top of the dark green portion of the pump.  I don't have any experience with this, but it looks like it's working.  (I'd throw a door  next to the shaft just in case it didn't, though.)

ilsadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:20 pm »

Water will not flow along a vertical diagonal - only horizontal diagonals.  So putting the power source above the "wall" end of the pump is safe.