Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376631 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, this one was in color ^_^;; But I didn't realize that KoL ran on the same model. Neat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

I just remembered about an old game I used to play, probably released before 2000. You controlled a rocket ship and were flying around a cave like maps, trying not to crash into the edges. I thing there were some kind of platforms where you could land, and I might be mistaken, but I think the goal was to gather some colored orbs from their platforms and bring them to home platform? Also I think there were some kind of environmental hazards, like moving rotors or doors that you had to open (dont remember how) to make it harder. Also I think the ship looked like a triangle. Any ideas what this might have been?  :-\
That game should very likely found in this list :
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/cave-flyers-and-thrust-variants

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crazy Gravity looks sounds like the game you are thinking of.

Thanks, that is exactly the one  :D

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a *gulp* similar longshot. It was a browser game from the 90s.

I recall one that was like MS Paint style art, that looked like it was done in VB, that was pre-MMO (like, Neopets era) There was also the superhero themed one whose core mechanics and monetization were the same as KoL (I want to say Sunset or Midnight was in the title?) and Fallen London.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a *gulp* similar longshot. It was a browser game from the 90s.

I recall one that was like MS Paint style art, that looked like it was done in VB, that was pre-MMO (like, Neopets era) There was also the superhero themed one whose core mechanics and monetization were the same as KoL (I want to say Sunset or Midnight was in the title?) and Fallen London.

Yeah, this was definitely Neopets era stuff. It was just after the peak Geocities period.

Not Fallen London, but pretty well like it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a game that I played many years ago.  It was an adventure/platformer game, where you play as a bouncing ball that moves around a 2-dimensional world by bouncing constantly.  Most of the challenges were platforming puzzles, and progression mostly came from unlocking new ball types that bounce in different ways, or have immunity to certain hazards.  The game started with a short bit of text implying that there was no hope for the people of this world, followed by "Unless..." (and nothing after that, "Unless" was the last word of the opening).  The name of the game was gibberish as far as I know, but it was one word (I think starting with N, but I'm not certain).  This was a free downloadable game.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Within a Deep Forest!  A lovely little metroidvania.

I kept confusing it with the creator's other freeware project, Knytt/Knytt Stories, which apparently got a sequel on Steam.  Those don't have you play as bouncing balls, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Within a Deep Forest!  A lovely little metroidvania.

I kept confusing it with the creator's other freeware project, Knytt/Knytt Stories, which apparently got a sequel on Steam.  Those don't have you play as bouncing balls, though.

Yes, that's it!  Thank you. :)
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

A truly old game - something I read about in the early 90's, in a games journalism magazine. 

A futuristic JRPG with multiple characters, one a female thief.  You were supposed to go to a certain place and she would disappear for a while, then return with something.

Extremely long shot, I know.  I wish I could remember what system it would have been for.  I lean toward NES-era.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Futuristic old jrpg makes me think one of the phantasy stars, but that's probably too obvious? If it was in a magazine that... probably means it was officially localized? That narrows it down pretty well.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A truly old game - something I read about in the early 90's, in a games journalism magazine. 

A futuristic JRPG with multiple characters, one a female thief.  You were supposed to go to a certain place and she would disappear for a while, then return with something.

Extremely long shot, I know.  I wish I could remember what system it would have been for.  I lean toward NES-era.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday?  It was basically a Gold Box D&D game.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I feel like it was probably Sega, whatever it was, which matches both of your recommendations.  I had a good time messing with Phantasy Star 1 yesterday.  The core ideas of latter JRPGs are surprisingly recognizable in it.

And even more it had plenty of that sci-fi+magic meld which I was looking for.  I guess even Final Fantasy (especially 1) copied that too, though it tended to bury the lede.

Lovely note:  Apparently Noah of Phantasy Star 1 was originally going to be ambiguous.  It was a different time of course, but I still find that pretty cool.  They're also gendered inconsistency in the guide I'm reading (which occasionally makes mistakes that make me suspect English as a Second Language, though they're subtle).

Anyway, the specific thing I was thinking of might have been from a later Phantasy Star, but I definitely got the retro-ass sci-fi-magic setting fix I was looking for.

Either a later PS or maybe Buck Rogers, I'll have to keep looking~
She/they

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, for what it's worth Phantasy Star 4 is generally considered one of the best early console era RPGs around, and I think the first game of the four is usually held to be the weakest of the original series. If you're playing through them and aren't put off by the old time design stuff you'll be in for a treat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Just bear in mind that the third game is sort of the black sheep of the franchise. It's actually quite interesting in itself, but it takes a long while to get there, and the visual style is very... barren. The game started as a different game entirely, I believe, and was 'converted' into a Phantasy Star game later on, and it shows. There are some very, very fundamental differences from the other games in it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you need another early sci-fi RPG there's Albion, but that's for DOS and not console.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 204