Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376636 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's like Win3.1 era, you might be looking at Proliferation.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Never played it myself so i don't know if the mechanics are Risk-like, but with the nuke focus and the world territories point of view i see in screenshots that reminds me of a Risk board (but made with neons), could it be the game DEFCON ?
Older than defcon

If it's like Win3.1 era, you might be looking at Proliferation.
Looked it up and seems right on target
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to track down an old (maybe mid-90's?) Star Wars game that a friend of mine used to play - I think it was one of the earliest iterations of a graphical online multiplayer RPG (effectively a MUD with a tileset), set in the Star Wars universe.  It was account-based, in that each player could only have one(?) character, and that during character creation some things were fixed - for example, the chance for your character to be Force-sensitive was a randomised, small percentage...which, of course, led to lots of people simply deleting their accounts and remaking them until they got a Force-sensitive character because, c'mon, Star Wars.  I've tried tracking it down through Google to no avail, as Star Wars Galaxies and TOR tend to swamp any search results, and I'm almost 100% certain this was well before their time.

I want to say that the user client used to play the game was referred to as Holocron, but might be getting that mixed up with the in-universe object of that name, so not sure about that.

No desire to play it, but for whatever reason it's become stuck in my head and not being able to confirm/deny its existence is bugging me!  I don't think it was Yoda Stories, as the one I'm thinking of was definitely an online multiplayer game of some sort, but feels like it was around that sort of era.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a top-down tactical game taking place during a war. I remember throwing rocks over fences or through holes in a fence, and playing as a scientist/doctor, who used a syringe to knock people out. There were multiple characters with their unique abilities and had objectives to complete. Played it ~20 years ago, maybe longer, so it's nothing new.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The commandos line apparently has at least one character with a knockout syringe? And is in the right time frame. It's definitely my go-to thought for top-down tactical war game with shenanigans... even if I've never actually played it or watched gameplay footage, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The commandos line apparently has at least one character with a knockout syringe? And is in the right time frame. It's definitely my go-to thought for top-down tactical war game with shenanigans... even if I've never actually played it or watched gameplay footage, heh.

I can't say for sure, but I also don't think it could be anything else, lol. I'll consider this solved.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just remembered about an old game I used to play, probably released before 2000. You controlled a rocket ship and were flying around a cave like maps, trying not to crash into the edges. I thing there were some kind of platforms where you could land, and I might be mistaken, but I think the goal was to gather some colored orbs from their platforms and bring them to home platform? Also I think there were some kind of environmental hazards, like moving rotors or doors that you had to open (dont remember how) to make it harder. Also I think the ship looked like a triangle. Any ideas what this might have been?  :-\

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just remembered about an old game I used to play, probably released before 2000. You controlled a rocket ship and were flying around a cave like maps, trying not to crash into the edges. I thing there were some kind of platforms where you could land, and I might be mistaken, but I think the goal was to gather some colored orbs from their platforms and bring them to home platform? Also I think there were some kind of environmental hazards, like moving rotors or doors that you had to open (dont remember how) to make it harder. Also I think the ship looked like a triangle. Any ideas what this might have been?  :-\

Sub-Terrania?

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sub-Terrania?

Nope, there was no shooting/combat in that game. It was all about flying through difficult terrain and not crashing.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately there are a zillion games like that, especially on compilation disks back in the 90s.  Search for a list of Lunar Lander clones and go from there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Or cave flyers, I think? The caving one with physics based movement is sorta' its own thing somewhat distinct from the lander things. Quick shortlist I found would be here.

But yeah, there's actually a somewhat surprising amount of those things. There was a point making them (if not necessarily playing them, ha) was relatively popular, and you still get little coding-practice type games show up using the design occasionally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crazy Gravity looks sounds like the game you are thinking of.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to track down an old (maybe mid-90's?) Star Wars game that a friend of mine used to play - I think it was one of the earliest iterations of a graphical online multiplayer RPG (effectively a MUD with a tileset), set in the Star Wars universe.  It was account-based, in that each player could only have one(?) character, and that during character creation some things were fixed - for example, the chance for your character to be Force-sensitive was a randomised, small percentage...which, of course, led to lots of people simply deleting their accounts and remaking them until they got a Force-sensitive character because, c'mon, Star Wars.  I've tried tracking it down through Google to no avail, as Star Wars Galaxies and TOR tend to swamp any search results, and I'm almost 100% certain this was well before their time.

I want to say that the user client used to play the game was referred to as Holocron, but might be getting that mixed up with the in-universe object of that name, so not sure about that.

No desire to play it, but for whatever reason it's become stuck in my head and not being able to confirm/deny its existence is bugging me!  I don't think it was Yoda Stories, as the one I'm thinking of was definitely an online multiplayer game of some sort, but feels like it was around that sort of era.

This sounds a lot like Star Wars Combine.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking for a *gulp* similar longshot. It was a browser game from the 90s. What I remember about it is that it was something where you checked in every day and were allowed a certain number of steps/actions (like 20), and then you would have to "go home" and stop playing after seeing 20 screens. You could randomly get items like cookies that would increase your number of steps and thus your ability to explore. Individual accounts, I don't think there was any interaction between people. It was free. I really remember that cookie because it was super unusual to get an item that would increase your number of steps/interactions on a given day more than a super piddly amount.

I never got very far in the game but I think it was fantasy themed? Not very high tech at the least.

This is a super vague description, I know. I really enjoyed playing the game and am hoping someone else got themselves addicted to the same thing way back when.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

It probably isn't the game you are looking for, but Kingdom of Loathing fits your description. So, that's an alternative I guess.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 204