Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375926 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2009, 09:11:43 pm »

Okay, here's one that NOBODY is likely to get.  Because probably only a thousand or so people ever even saw it.

I downloaded this freeware homebrew adventure game sometime around 2000, but I'm pretty sure it was older.  It was top-down, I think your character looked something like a gnome, graphics were bad and looked closer to the original Legend of Zelda than anything else, music was chiptune-ish, you just wandered around exploring the landscape and I don't think really fighting anything--but you WERE trying to collect letters to open walls somewhere.  But I'm pretty sure that it was actually in Finnish or something, because it used characters that aren't on your standard English keyboard.  I think I remember either an o with umlauts or possibly with a slash, so, yeah.

I discovered some time into it that ctrl and alt actually did stuff, and I think there was a shovel that let you get to underground places.

It was indie and a distant, distant precursor to games like seiklus et al...  God, it was probably more like a dos game than anything else.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:47 pm »

I once played a game (PSone i believe) where you played as a Sheepdog, a mechanical sheepdog.

You were able to detatch some sort of microchip from yourself and use it to walk around at take control over other animals (Mostly sheep).

I have no idea if this game even exists, i am hoping that it does, however, and if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2009, 09:54:03 pm »

I once played a game (PSone i believe) where you played as a Sheepdog, a mechanical sheepdog.

You were able to detatch some sort of microchip from yourself and use it to walk around at take control over other animals (Mostly sheep).

I have no idea if this game even exists, i am hoping that it does, however, and if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey, we saw that game on ToonyMan's livestream recently!  And then I looked it up during that time.  I think the name was Space Station Silicon Valley, for the N64.  And I think the player character IS the microchip.  o.O

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2009, 10:01:02 pm »

Jesus christ.

It exists!

Thank you good sir! i shall have to download this, and also force toony to play it again!

This thread is awesome!

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2009, 04:06:11 pm »

Im looking for game

i think it was flight game.. where you had some sort of hangar submarine can you had planes that could shipon metal and crap and build more plannes.

the last part in the title was Waters.

cant remember the other tho.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2009, 05:00:25 pm »

Im looking for game

i think it was flight game.. where you had some sort of hangar submarine can you had planes that could shipon metal and crap and build more plannes.

Hostile Waters?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2009, 01:40:37 am »

Im looking for game

Hostile Waters?

Looks like it.
just wanted to play it.

thanks man.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2009, 05:35:35 pm »

I never actually played this game, but here's a description that I got:

There's one [military strategy game] I don't remember the name of, but you only saw the world as a grid that looked like a late-80s game...it was set in a modern-day combat theatre, and the concept is that you're just a commander looking at a map, you tell your units "Okay, for the next day, engage under these parameters, if you run into this kind of trouble then do this, etc", and then you bite your fingernails and hope they don't screw it up.
does anyone know what it is?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2009, 05:42:56 pm »

Sounds sorta kinda vaguely like Harpoon or one of its incarnations.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2009, 06:08:41 pm »

I never actually played this game, but here's a description that I got:

There's one [military strategy game] I don't remember the name of, but you only saw the world as a grid that looked like a late-80s game...it was set in a modern-day combat theatre, and the concept is that you're just a commander looking at a map, you tell your units "Okay, for the next day, engage under these parameters, if you run into this kind of trouble then do this, etc", and then you bite your fingernails and hope they don't screw it up.
does anyone know what it is?

I'm trying to find it again, just hunted through Mobygames' game browser for it.  Looks very similar to Flashpoint: Germany, except I recall the graphics being worse--and I swear I remembered something about it actually being developed or licensed or commissioned by the U.S. military.

In any case it was fairly recent, I'd be pretty surprised if it was older than 2004?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:11 pm »

wait, was it that Future Combat System (FCS) thing?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2009, 06:45:33 pm »

That game itself, a1s, is F2C2:  Future Force Company Commander.  I'm not sure if that's what I was thinking of originally but it -mostly- looks like it.  Could be!  And who knows, maybe I was confusing multiple games anyway.

Dageshka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2009, 05:36:00 pm »

I think I have that same 1000 Great Games for Windows CD. It was 95% shit, and a lot of the games were just demos. There were a few real gems though. Angband was one, which is how I got into roguelikes. Excelsior was another, it's a roguelike (with very primitive sprite graphics) that's puzzle-focused and in fact I've gotten stuck at one of the puzzles and can't progress further. There's one site on the whole internet dedicated to the game and it has solutions to some of the puzzles, but not that one.

Best of all was a game called "Loserball" that Toady made. At least, it said "Toady One productions." It was a board game where you all started with a blob in the corner and could either clone the blob to an adjacent square, or else jump it to a square 1 away. It was actually quite a good game, and there were a whole range of AI opponents ranging from retarded to extremely skilled. I remember many late nights in middle school trying to unseat "Gary" from the tournament champion's spot.

There were a ton of other games on that disk, like a demo of Exile, a ton of crappy ones, a lot that just didn't work at all...there was a sweet Capture the Flag demo where you had 8 kids that had to run around farmland and woods and pretty much play Capture the Flag.
Well, I've tried already to reach you with 2 messages regarding this very CD "1000 Great Games for Windows". Shortly, is it possible for you to upload it anywhere and make it available to download? Pleeaase... When you mention those games like Loserball and so on, it's such a nostalgy!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »

If it's Loserball you're after, you can get it here:

http://cd.textfiles.com/superozsw/FILES/06/LBALL.ZIP

Heck, just drop down to the FILES directory on there for an absurd number of old games without any labelling whatsoever!  For all I know, it IS that CD.

Dageshka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2009, 07:58:36 pm »

If it's Loserball you're after, you can get it here:

http://cd.textfiles.com/superozsw/FILES/06/LBALL.ZIP

Heck, just drop down to the FILES directory on there for an absurd number of old games without any labelling whatsoever!  For all I know, it IS that CD.

Unfortunately, not sure :( The "1000+ Great Games for Windows" CD is by Valusoft, the browser looks different... And, of course, I'm not chasing after it for "Loserball" only )))
Here's the only thing - CD's cover - I could have found:

Maybe, anyone got it until now?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 204