Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376357 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... what do you mean by ego perspective?

Though RTS from that era with red and blue robots reminds me of metal fatigue.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

First one looks like shadow of the horned rat, actually. Old warhammer game, PC release, around '95. GOG rereleased in a couple years ago. Apparently one of the missions fits that description to a T, though I've had enough trouble pinpointing which one it is I no longer care enough to keep looking :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Also, complete punt in the dark for Haspen - all of those games sound interesting, by the way, hope you get some more answers - could #4 be Moonstone or Dominus? And #3 sounds a little like one of the old Dragon's Lair games, though Dirk wasn't a particularly Conan-like protagonist.

Nope to all these.

2) An old (pre-98 at least) dungeon-crawler similar to Wizardry, with a repeating theme of cards/suits (it definitely wasn't an actual Wizardry game - I'm aware the suits/cards motif shows up in Wizardry V and possibly others). Like, you might meet/fight the 'Knight of Hearts'. Or 'Knight of Cups' - I forget whether it was 'regular' suits or the Tarot ones. Don't remember very much about it at all aside from that, including the system, but there aren't a million dungeon-crawlers (sadly).

SNES had Arcana, where a guy was using 'card spirits' in battle, and enemies were represented as cards too. There were 5 elements: Water (blue), Earth (green), Wind (yellow) and Fire (red), each defeating one and getting defeated by one, and a Neutral (grey).

Could it be this?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

Hmmm, looks like it, although the graphics seem a bit to advanced. Then again, might've been a C64/Amiga port or something.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

The 'Loads of orcs' fits in with Warhammer, certainly, but I can't find anything about SotHR being unfinished (to the extent that it was unwinnable, anyway).
Near as I could tell the problem was with a specific mission, but not one that gated the only way to win the game. Might have blocked off a story branch of some sort, but at the least there were other available win conditions. Help to pinpoint the exact mission it was, but my effort gave out before I got that far.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Looking for a rather odd old game.

I twas an RTS and you could control your units from Ego Perspective (although not necessarily), it was something with red and blue robots...uhm what else was there...i dont remember more than that sorry.
It come out for windows 98 and should be from between 1995 and 2002/3

Urban Assault came out in 1998 and was an RTS where you could optionally possess your robotic units Dungeon Keeper style.  Maybe not the one you mean, based on "red and blue robots", but it's a gem.

I really liked the post-apocalyptic setting and the very unique factions, two of which were mid-late game surprises.  The "main" bad guys were cybernetic aliens who spread creepy metal veins over their captured land.
The game got very hard, but could be cheesed to some extent by possessing heavy tanks or choppers for decapitation strikes.  There was also a lovely glitch where you could possess the enemy's base, then win the level as that faction.  Still tricky since there were usually multiple factions, but kinda fair.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Neither Z nor Metal Fatigue and sadly also not Urban Assault. Maybe it was older? I am not sure. In any casse the game also had massive robots in it as in towering with like 20 times the size over others.

I only ever played the demo when i was little so i don't know if there was only red and blue factions in it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

It's... not universe at war, is it?
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I think I know the game you're talking about but I too cannot remember the exact name sadly. I know it had red desert/wasteland maps and was vaguely reminiscent of Warzone 2100 in style (tho I guess all 3d RTS games of that era were). Other than that I have no idea since I think I got it off a magazine demo CD or something :S
It's probably not it, but Parkan: *Iron something* could also qualify, tho I'm not sure if it was just a first person RTS or if you could control units other than your starting dude person.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Parkan: Iron Strategy, mean?

Also, there's a game called Machines that sounds exactly like that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Parkan: Iron Strategy, Battlezone II, and Machines: Wired for War, are the three games I can at all remember where you're basically free to take personal control of any given unit.

I don't think Machines had that great a size disparity between units however (biggest were large tanks), and Battlezone is likewise more about similar-sized vehicles. Parkan II did have some size variance in robots, but I can't recall if it was that significant.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:13:08 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

It was Machines! THANKS :D

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile

I remember an old game that I used to play,  I don't remember much about it other than I was playing it around the age of 4 (so roughly 2002 or so) and that you could summon creatures in it. It was singleplayer to my knowledge. I think it had a top down perspective? and im pretty sure it was 8bit or otherwise low quality resolution

I also remember that on dying, you would get a popup saying you died with a textbox and a skull and crossbones. My memory of this game is extremely vague so my memory may not perfectly line up with what it actually was like.

The closest I've gotten to identifying this game was Geneforge, but it didn't quite feel like I remember.

EDIT: It was a computer game to clarify
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:20:45 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Was it a computer game or...?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Was it a computer game or...?
It was singleplayer to my knowledge.
 I think it had a top down perspective? and im pretty sure it was 8bit or otherwise low quality resolution

popup saying you died with a textbox and a skull and crossbones.

The closest I've gotten to identifying this game was Geneforge
I feel pretty safe in saying it was  ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 204