Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376050 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2190 on: January 01, 2016, 07:21:53 pm »

Okay, so. I remember in high school (which... is now 10 years ago. Christ...) playing a browser game where you had a giant cube which you had to manipulate to make it grow into a little world. It was a puzzle kind of game and I remember it being very minimalist in terms of instructions, you just kinda did stuff and looked at what happened. I remember very little about playing it apart from I think one of the first things you did was make a waterfall and get a lot of grass on top of the cube. I remember it also had a sequel which had similar mechanics except you were doing something with animals, and IIRC the end of that one the animals merged into a rocket or something.
That game is 2hard4me. God. Grow Cube please why so arcane.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: January 01, 2016, 07:49:51 pm »

Okay, so. I remember in high school (which... is now 10 years ago. Christ...) playing a browser game where you had a giant cube which you had to manipulate to make it grow into a little world. It was a puzzle kind of game and I remember it being very minimalist in terms of instructions, you just kinda did stuff and looked at what happened. I remember very little about playing it apart from I think one of the first things you did was make a waterfall and get a lot of grass on top of the cube. I remember it also had a sequel which had similar mechanics except you were doing something with animals, and IIRC the end of that one the animals merged into a rocket or something.
That game is 2hard4me. God. Grow Cube please why so arcane.

Aha! Thank you, now to laugh at my sister's fiancee's pathetic attempts to solve the cube!

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: January 02, 2016, 05:20:29 pm »

Sounds a bit like Don't Starve?

Not the one I'm looking for, unfortunately. When I say the visual style is really similar to RPG Maker, I mean really similar. To the point that I'm assuming it is RPG Maker, but it might not be.
Was it in flash? There was a survival/farming thing (monsters would interfere with farming, like, all the time) that started with the town being burned down. Does that sound similar?

Doesn't sound familiar. Don't know what the game is coded in, unfortunately.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: January 05, 2016, 01:00:42 am »

It's a sort of evolution sim that was on these forums a couple years ago, made by a guy with an avatar of a skull with a plant growing out of it. The life was all circular, and some life could photosynthesise, some could actively predate and others could link up to other life forms and steal energy (or give, but for obvious reasons if they weren't photosynthetic they tended to die off).

Seems interesting. Could you ask him if he is willing to let you share a download link of the game?

Also, I have a forgotten game of my own. I don't even think it was a game. Perhaps it was a demostration of sorts?

It was early 90s, I remember the graphics almost like the animated screensavers from Windows 95 and 98. I don't remember if it was on DOS or Windows. It was an FPS where you solve some puzzles, there was lava(?) in some levels, enemies where mostly robotic humanoids. I remember a game screen where the PC was taking cover behind a wall, the PC was dressed in a suit or jumpsuit all black, it had a silver helmet, silver hands and was holding a gun.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:06:34 am by Azazass »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: January 05, 2016, 09:12:38 am »

I remember a game screen where the PC was taking cover behind a wall, the PC was dressed in a suit or jumpsuit all black, it had a silver helmet, silver hands and was holding a gun.

That looks like the box art to Corridor 7 but the game is a pure Wolfenstein clone, doesn't have lava and the enemies are aliens, not robots.

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Corridor 7's title screen?

Or maybe it's one of the Blake Stone games.  I'm pretty familiar with obscure 1990s FPSs but nothing immediately rings a bell.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:16:18 am by Bouchart »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:15 am »

I'm not sure if it's even fair to ask this, because I hope this isn't one of those dreams we have as kids and go through our lives thinking it's an actual memory.

Last week I spent hours looking for a game that I played as a kid. Problem is that I have very, very faint memories of it. It was probably on MS-DOS, and:
- It was point-and-click.
- Seemed to be action-adventure.
- Protagonist was a guy that reminds me of Duke Nukem trying to get inside a base. I -think- he crashed with a ship or helicopter near there.
- It was snowing and if you tried to deviate from the path, you'd die freezing.
- I remember there was many ways to die before even getting inside the base. A guard could see you, you could freeze, I think you could arm a bomb and die from it (or maybe the helicopter could explode).

After a few hours of researching here and there, the closest I came to was a game called Cyberia. But I don't remember having flight levels or controlling the character with arrow keys in the game I'm thinking.

This was probably around 1995-1998. I also hope the 'level' I remember (with snow and all that) wasn't a savegame.
Thanks for any help. I'm want to beat this game (as long as it's not terribly buggy). I died so much on it as a kid, it pisses me off to this day.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »

Maybe Lightbringer?  I'm not really familiar with it but it starts out with a crashed spaceship of some kind.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: January 05, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »

Hmm nope.
I remember it had this kind of art:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd call it "untextured point-and-click semi-isometric DOS graphics"  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: January 05, 2016, 07:43:00 pm »

Hmm nope.

While I was searching for my own obscure DOS FPS from the early 90s.

I ran into this http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/cyberia

Check the screens.

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: January 05, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »

I remember a game screen where the PC was taking cover behind a wall, the PC was dressed in a suit or jumpsuit all black, it had a silver helmet, silver hands and was holding a gun.

That looks like the box art to Corridor 7 but the game is a pure Wolfenstein clone, doesn't have lava and the enemies are aliens, not robots.

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Corridor 7's title screen?

Or maybe it's one of the Blake Stone games.  I'm pretty familiar with obscure 1990s FPSs but nothing immediately rings a bell.

Maybe. I recognize a couple of things, but I'm not sure.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: January 06, 2016, 11:49:24 pm »

Hmm nope.

Check the screens.

Hahaha, I should've mentioned. In a few posts above I said that Cyberia looks like the game I'm looking for. But it's not that one.  :'(
One day my mind will be at peace.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: January 07, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

Hmm nope.

Check the screens.

Hahaha, I should've mentioned. In a few posts above I said that Cyberia looks like the game I'm looking for. But it's not that one.  :'(

You say the game was point and click though from those screenshots I'm assuming it was 3D? Pre rendered backgrounds like in Myst?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 07, 2016, 05:03:57 pm »

Sheeeeeeeit.  Remembered a game I never actually played personally, but that I watched my cousin playing back in the day.  As such, time period is mid-to-late nineties, possibly early 00's.  Third-person perspective and medieval-fantasy type setting, of sorts.  Console, either Dreamcast or Playstation.

I don't recall much of the game, but there were distinct horror elements.  If I remember correctly, the general theme was that there was this great magical plague that had affected the kingdom and transformed people into hideous mutated monsters.  There was a particular scene where the protagonist and... I think his daughter? Maybe? Some young person... Venture into a kind of refugee village of the infected.  They'd apparently retained enough humanity to not go ballistic at first sight.

There's a touching moment when Young Person A is gently offered a flower by Mutated Root-for-an-eye Infected Child, when suddenly some idiot in your care pulls a mandrake from the ground and the village finally does go ballistic (I seem to remember there being some link between the screaming roots and the disease, like the people were kind of half-vegetable and reacted poorly to the root's "pain"), leading to a big fight where you're surrounded by big mutie thugs.

I seem to also recall a later savefile where you're wandering around in a castle and there are more infected people wandering around, but these looked a bit more like the upper torsos of people crawling around and dragging along their long flat tails.  Slug-mermaids, basically.

It's really pissing me off that Google has been utterly useless thus far in finding a hint towards what the hell this game was.

I realize this is a bit more than a month late, but seeing this request fascinated me, so I mentioned this to some guys I know and one did some digging to come up with Koudelka. It was on the Playstation, came out very close to the end of 1999, and fits the third-person perspective criteria, but the setting isn't medieval so much as 19th-going-on-20th century Wales, the girl is actually an adventurer who teams up with the guy to look into things, and the protagonists are investigating a monastery instead of a castle.

Dunno about that scene with the plant people and the flower and all that, and the monsters from what I checked out don't quite line up with your descriptions, so I'm not entirely sure this is it, but have some screenshots anyway, they might jog your memory.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:05:44 pm by Xotes »
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:25 pm »

Hmm nope.

Check the screens.

You say the game was point and click though from those screenshots I'm assuming it was 3D? Pre rendered backgrounds like in Myst?

Yessir. You could see some animations though, from what I can remember.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:45 pm »

Sheeeeeeeit.  Remembered a game I never actually played personally, but that I watched my cousin playing back in the day.  As such, time period is mid-to-late nineties, possibly early 00's.  Third-person perspective and medieval-fantasy type setting, of sorts.  Console, either Dreamcast or Playstation.

I don't recall much of the game, but there were distinct horror elements.  If I remember correctly, the general theme was that there was this great magical plague that had affected the kingdom and transformed people into hideous mutated monsters.  There was a particular scene where the protagonist and... I think his daughter? Maybe? Some young person... Venture into a kind of refugee village of the infected.  They'd apparently retained enough humanity to not go ballistic at first sight.

There's a touching moment when Young Person A is gently offered a flower by Mutated Root-for-an-eye Infected Child, when suddenly some idiot in your care pulls a mandrake from the ground and the village finally does go ballistic (I seem to remember there being some link between the screaming roots and the disease, like the people were kind of half-vegetable and reacted poorly to the root's "pain"), leading to a big fight where you're surrounded by big mutie thugs.

I seem to also recall a later savefile where you're wandering around in a castle and there are more infected people wandering around, but these looked a bit more like the upper torsos of people crawling around and dragging along their long flat tails.  Slug-mermaids, basically.

It's really pissing me off that Google has been utterly useless thus far in finding a hint towards what the hell this game was.

Actually wait, it's not Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, is it?
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 204