Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375862 times)

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile

This has actually been bothering me for a while. Long ago, I had this CD with a demo for a game. You played as this sort of astronaut, and you had to build robots that you could program or control directly, and one of the enemy types were giant, fireball-spewing ants.

Anyone even hear of this game?
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This has actually been bothering me for a while. Long ago, I had this CD with a demo for a game. You played as this sort of astronaut, and you had to build robots that you could program or control directly, and one of the enemy types were giant, fireball-spewing ants.

Sounds like Colobot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Sounds like Colobot.
Or CeeBot. I don't know which of those came first, but they're related.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile

Sounds like Colobot.

Yeah, that's it. Thank you!
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking for an old DOS game. It's kind of like Marble Madness.

You're a ball rolling around a map, but there was much more to them than just navigating the maze to the goal. There were definitely other hazards than falling off, like maybe lasers and breakable tiles. There might even have been pickup/powers of some kind. The version I played was definitely greyscale only but I don't know if there were other releases using VGA or such at the time.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You're a ball rolling around a map, but there was much more to them than just navigating the maze to the goal. There were definitely other hazards than falling off, like maybe lasers and breakable tiles. There might even have been pickup/powers of some kind. The version I played was definitely greyscale only but I don't know if there were other releases using VGA or such at the time.
The one that immediately comes to mind is Oxyd, but I'm sure there were various derivatives. Especially because the Oxyd I played was on an Apple Macintosh II. But it did have monochrome/color versions, it had various powerups, hazards, etc.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile

The one that immediately comes to mind is Oxyd, but I'm sure there were various derivatives. Especially because the Oxyd I played was on an Apple Macintosh II. But it did have monochrome/color versions, it had various powerups, hazards, etc.

I too immediately thought of Oxyd (I played it on DOS though :) ).
Moby games has a handy list of rolling ball games: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/genre-rolling-ball/offset,0/so,1a/

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was definitely Oxyd, I recognize some of the levels in the mobygames screenshots.

Thanks!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

Does anyone remember that Codename: Kids Next Door game where they were releasing another part of it for every corresponding episode?  It was this cool 3d thing, where at one point Number 1 is fighting an evil copy of himself.  It isn't operation VIDEOGAME, that's something different.

It was some really strange distribution method they used, so I couldn't easily find a file for it.  Also they had this hamster throwing minigame for people to play while it was downloading.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

A star-empire/exploration/trading game from late 90's.

It involved exploring star systems in a constellation, then settling down on various planets, from volcanic ones to desert ones to glacial planets. There planets had various resources; for example desert planets had abundance of silicon for electronics crafting, volcanic lots of coal-related minerals and metals.

You also had different factions, I remember 2 kinds of 'Knights' and there were Navigators, too. Each faction had different bonus.

Then you build buildings, from shipyards to planetary defenses, while slowly expanding your technologies and fleets, which at first get shuttles and fightercraft, later on carriers and death stars. Once you explore a constellation, you can use a Warp Drive to jump through a jumpgate into another constellation, often to fight pirates or engage other empires.

There was also neutral trading hegemony of sorts that carried your stuff from planets that produce things to planets that demand it for a small fee.

It also had 'build ship & fight in arena with it' mode.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile

It was a 2d tile based survival game where you had to eat and drink to survive. I believe there was light/LoS systems and temperature systems so you had to light a fire to stay warm at night. The game had seasons and weathers and you could start in different seasons and a few different scenarios. The game had a simple combat system but very detailed injury systems and first aid. Character creation let you put points in a large amount of skills like swimming/treeclimbing/firelighting/woodworking.

I believe it had a limited free version and a paid full version.
I believe I saw it here so it might still have a thread, but it was >4 years ago! I hope it hasn't gone dark off the internet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Unreal World fits those descriptions (apart from tree climbing).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile

Got it in one! Thanks a lot. Must have rembered some stuff I wish was happening as actual gameplay

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

UnrealWorld is now Free to play as well, AFAIK
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I thought you could climb trees in the travel/map mode to get a better view. At least I remember falling out of them when I tried.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 204