Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375800 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Ok, does anybody remember this game?

- Freeware, being developed by some independent dude

- Diablo-like: action rpg with isometric graphics. Circa 1996-2002 or so.

- Back when I checked it last time it did not have the plot implemented, but was going to be along these lines

* Crystal spires and togas magic society. Postscarcity for practical purposes

* Something goes awry (I think due to an outside evil force) and the spells keeping everyone eternally young and healthy turn everyone into ravenous zombies from one day to the next.

* EXCEPT for the main character, who remains untouched by the zombie disease

cue continuous battles
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Speaking of that, does anyone remember a flash game where your factory starts making clone zombies and you have to kill them all. You unlock reward by piling them up. You can walk up the pile and it gets stupidly high at points.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I'm going to post some game descriptions which I did a while ago and see if anyone has better luck this time in identifying them. I have no idea what they are and it's not really important but they nag at my mind.

I remember playing a 3D mech arena game in the late 90s. The machines were sit down types with the cover over the top but the controls were the usual stick and buttons (I'm pretty sure). It was not MechWarrior, and I'm kind of sure it wasn't "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On" as the booth looks different. The mech I played as was a large, bulky, brown, industrial looking mech which had large missile pods or some such. The level I remember was an outside, hilly region which you could traverse with jump jets.

Earthsiege (or Starsiege)?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tank Arena?

It might have been this! I'm going to try it out and see. Thanks! That was driving me crazy. Wish I could get a copy of that old shareware disk I had.

I FOUND IT.

So, the game I was thinking of was called A.G.F, and was from this old 90's shovelware disk set called The Complete Encyclopedia of Games. (There were actually a lot of good games on there, too.) It was a freeware game with just two levels, but it had eight ships, each with different powerups. Really neat concept, and ahead of its time by far, but never really completed.

Of interest was the midi that played in the city level was a translation of the Blade Runner theme song, which I had no idea about until I booted the sucker up in a win98 VM. SO MUCH NOSTALGIA.

I'm going to post some game descriptions which I did a while ago and see if anyone has better luck this time in identifying them. I have no idea what they are and it's not really important but they nag at my mind.

I remember playing a 3D mech arena game in the late 90s. The machines were sit down types with the cover over the top but the controls were the usual stick and buttons (I'm pretty sure). It was not MechWarrior, and I'm kind of sure it wasn't "Cyber Troopers Virtual-On" as the booth looks different. The mech I played as was a large, bulky, brown, industrial looking mech which had large missile pods or some such. The level I remember was an outside, hilly region which you could traverse with jump jets.

Earthsiege (or Starsiege)?

Might also have been ZAR? Here's a video of it. Really neat game, especially for the time. They used a voxel engine to create destructible terrain well before it became a Thing.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

A 'board game tactical RPG' kit game. I kid you not.

It was made somewhere in 2000's and I remember clearly three scenarios; a small paintball game, a viking campsite attacked by goblinoid beasts, and sci-fi supertank blasting down a mechanized infantry/light tank unit on some desert wasteland.

It was 2D and had top-down perspective and rather simple graphics. Unfortunately that's all I remember.

A bit of wild mass guessing and I found out it is 'The War Engine'. Welp, didn't need your help this time guys :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:17:16 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So anyway, there was this adventure game or RPG, don't remember. The interface was basically identically to Populous (the first one, isometric tile based), but you controlled a single character. You started in a town (greek or roman or something) and like 2 seconds after you started the entire city was covered in lava and you died. (I think you were supposed to evacuate and then the actual game started).

I also remember a second game that looked sorta like that, but you were in Asgard or something and there was Thor walking around and you chatted him up. Nevermind the second game, I think it's Dusk of the Gods. The first game definitely looked a lot like Populous, down to the horribly small scrolling battlefield, but I don't remember what it was.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:05:46 pm by Sergius »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

When I was a kid, I had a demo for this racing game that consisted entirely of one car, though I cant remember which for the life of me. you could customize it and change its colour and putting stickers on it, but thats it. Every car in the game was the same model, and it could get visibly damaged (i think), and for some absurd reason, you could press a button that would make your bumbers bounce your car up... Except that if you did it enough, it would literally throw your car upwards and eventualy act as some sort of antigravity device.

It was a terrible game ala big rigs (not that bad though), but it was hilarious and fun due to its absurdity, and I cant remember its name for the life of it. I remember it was very simple, like "something racing".

EDIT: DUH, it was called viper racing. I had the name in the back of my mind but just ended up forgetting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:34:53 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

So anyway, there was this adventure game or RPG, don't remember. The interface was basically identically to Populous (the first one, isometric tile based), but you controlled a single character. You started in a town (greek or roman or something) and like 2 seconds after you started the entire city was covered in lava and you died. (I think you were supposed to evacuate and then the actual game started).

You might want to browse through here for some ideas.

Take a look at Adventures of Robin Hood, Cadaver, Darklands, and The Four Crystals of Trazere.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also remember a second game that looked sorta like that, but you were in Asgard or something and there was Thor walking around and you chatted him up. Nevermind the second game, I think it's Dusk of the Gods. The first game definitely looked a lot like Populous, down to the horribly small scrolling battlefield, but I don't remember what it was.
Rome: Pathway to Power.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might want to browse through here for some ideas.

Take a look at Adventures of Robin Hood, Cadaver, Darklands, and The Four Crystals of Trazere.

Yep, looked that up before posting, didn't find the one I was looking for.

Rome: Pathway to Power.

That's the one! Thank you. (I never actually made it past the "lava falls, everyone dies" scene)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

A tactical multiplayer shooter that is, last I saw of it, still very much in development. The bit I saw of it was a map of a villa, and one of the more important mechanics was balance/stance, where getting shot or near an explosion would cause your balance to get worse, reducing aim and if it got bad enough you'd just straight up fall over and lose control for a bit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Ah. MagicMaker. S'on steam nowadays, iirc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RTS game on the PC, which was advertised with massive battles. Post-2000.
Anyone have an idea?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile

RTS game on the PC, which was advertised with massive battles. Post-2000.
Anyone have an idea?
That could be anything from Supreme Commander to any of the Total War series or AI wars or Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire. Do you have anything more to go on?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Vague, but maybe Shattered Galaxy?  It is/was a RTS MMORPG.  If you've played Planetside 2, it has many similarities.

You customize and train up units of many types.  Infantry, armor, air, and biological, but each of those classes has about a dozen different unit types, and changing equipment can completely change a unit's purpose.  Mainly by changing the weapon to make a unit anti-air or anti-armor, but also there are different reactor types...  I liked to bring a support vehicle with solar cells and the ability to recharge friendly units, while most units needed to recharge at gas geysers around the field.

You pick about 5-15 (depending on how you level your commander) to enter battle with.  I remember seeing about 30 players total in some of the battlefields, each commanding that many units.  Cooperation was very important, both for rock-paper-scissors reasons, and also to repair/heal/buff friendlies.  There were three factions, plus some ineffectual native creatures who mainly existed for training purposes.

To win battles you had to capture and hold "points of control".  They tended to get crowded, which is great when you focus on support units like I did.  Of course, there were many artillery options available as well.  I never got particularly high level, but I had a lot of fun.

Looks like it's still up and still free to play.  I never put money in, but it was still fun.  From what I could tell, supporting the developer wouldn't stop you from dying really quickly - it's just a fast-paced, lethal RTS.  Losing units just isn't a big deal (you just have to retreat and repair them).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 204