Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375696 times)

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #1620 on: February 15, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

One's been bugging me lately. Probably mid or late 2000s, this was a game I (think?) I played a beta for. It was multiplayer, with arena style battles in third person in which each player was some sort of martial artist. There were probably elemental styles available as well. If I recall correctly, you had a limited moveset (3, 4 or 5 skills?). Between matches, you could spend time in a town-like area, with class trainers, gear vendors, and stuff like that.

I'll try to think of more information, but this is all I've got for now.
Swords and sandals?
Crack-a-lack-a

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: February 18, 2014, 02:57:10 pm »

Okay, this game has bugged more for, quite literally, the better part of a decade now.

I'm 90% certain it was a GBA game, but it could have been a standard GB cartridge (they both fit my old GBA), and it was a fairly linear dungeon crawling-kill the boss type of game. It bugs my because I never finished.

The play was partial iso (think Pokemon with better graphics) and and when you encountered an enemy the view jumped to a view mode sort of like Golden sun, except that you were usually only just fighting alone. You could capture pets by laying traps for monsters and then taming them, and they would then fight beside you. You occasionally had allies that fought beside you.

You had a girlfriend in town who would periodically give you stuff as you progressed, including, but not limited to, a bunny suit.

All of your special abilities were determined by your weapons. I remember a seashell staff with an ability called bye-bye that always killed the target a set number of rounds after it was fired.

The boss of the first dungeon was a mole, one of his abilities was reflect.

If you lost to a boss and had to go through a cutscene again, the cutscene would change and all of the characters would go a little meta. "Does anyone else have deja vu?", "Didn't we just do this?", "Don't you look familiar?", etc
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:35 pm »

It sounds like Dragon Quest Monsters. I played only the third installment, which was on GBA proper, but the first two were released on GBC, and could conceivably have been like that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »

Not even close, unfortunately.

There was a town that was pretty much home base. Your girlfriend's house was in the mid-west, there was a monster hunter/trapper bar in the far east side of town. The exit to the world map was on the southside. I think.

You didn't travel the world map like in Golden Sun, you selected dots on a cartographic map. Again, I think. In a dungeon you could see all the monsters (unlike golden sun), and you only entered a fight if you touched one. (Or they touched you.) The Fight screen was much more LEFT SIDE GOOD, RIGHT SIDE BAD as well. Flatter, if that makes sense.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 18, 2014, 05:36:53 pm »

Dokapon: Monster Hunter, my google-fu leads me to.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:38:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:10 pm »

That's it! The google fu is strong with this one...

I think my memory blended the badass graphics of GS in too much, but yes that is definitely the game.
---

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile

Having trouble remembering a rather convoluted game:
You started it from the developer's page by entering into a false OS page that resembled command prompt, had to use some obscure password to launch a 'reality map' program or something. Then you got to play the unity 3d game. Gameplay involved being in a static-y almost horror film like room, and you had to find objects by seeing them from juuust the correct angle. Whereupon they would become real, and you could use them to progress further into the level.
Help?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm normally pretty good at this sort of thing, but I remember an old game that was essentially an auction sim. I seem to remember you being able to buy items and then auction them for a profit. I can't really remember much beyond that, but recently I've been craving an auction sim...and that kinda gave me some flashbacks...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Any memory of what was being sold? That'd probably make it easier to track down...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was assorted antique items, I think. Just like you'd find in a general auction house.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You started it from the developer's page by entering into a false OS page that resembled command prompt, had to use some obscure password to launch a 'reality map' program or something. Then you got to play the unity 3d game. Gameplay involved being in a static-y almost horror film like room, and you had to find objects by seeing them from juuust the correct angle. Whereupon they would become real, and you could use them to progress further into the level.
Help?

Absolutely no idea what this is, but I'm bumping it for the new page because I WANT to know what it is.  Sounds kind of amazing.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

There was this game on Greenlight, either a concept or a more full-fledged game, not sure now.

Basically, it was a roguelike that would generate the world based on the files on your computer (folders would be rooms/chambers and the regular files would be various kinds of enemies). It was probably just a concept, but I can't recall much about it anymore.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile

Help?

Absolutely no idea what this is, but I'm bumping it for the new page because I WANT to know what it is.  Sounds kind of amazing.
I managed to find it, and I seem to have mis-remembered a decent amount.
Still, since someone other that myself is interested, here it is:
Memories of A Broken Dimension
http://dev.datatragedy.com/projects/moabd/
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 204