Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375736 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #1590 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

Guys, I need your help. There was this game I played, back on the PS2(Or Gamecube) that was about trying to take down an evil djinn. I remember it was a dungeon-crawl-y sort of thing, where you had a world outside the dungeons, and every night you went into the dungeon and fought in a third-person brawler. There were mimic chests, and I remember the town being filled with shops and characters you can recruit. I THINK there was a catgirl in there, and later on in the world ('Cause you can travel the world inbetween dungeons) there being another djinn you could recruit. The opening scene, where the djinn is summoned, I remember he ate someone for shits and giggles and then burned down a village. MIGHT'VE been yours, I don't quite remember. So yeah, PS2/Gamecube dungeon crawler with RPG elements that allows recruiting of characters and has an overarching plot about a djinn.
Sorry about the clutter, I'm writing this in what I consider the morning.
Dark Cloud?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 23, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »

Guys, I need your help. There was this game I played, back on the PS2(Or Gamecube) that was about trying to take down an evil djinn. I remember it was a dungeon-crawl-y sort of thing, where you had a world outside the dungeons, and every night you went into the dungeon and fought in a third-person brawler. There were mimic chests, and I remember the town being filled with shops and characters you can recruit. I THINK there was a catgirl in there, and later on in the world ('Cause you can travel the world inbetween dungeons) there being another djinn you could recruit. The opening scene, where the djinn is summoned, I remember he ate someone for shits and giggles and then burned down a village. MIGHT'VE been yours, I don't quite remember. So yeah, PS2/Gamecube dungeon crawler with RPG elements that allows recruiting of characters and has an overarching plot about a djinn.

This SORT OF sounds like Dark Cloud, and sort of doesn't. I remeber the evil genie guy burning the village and possibly eating someone, don't remeber being able to recruit anyone (played it at a friends, didn't get past the first village). A key element was that the village was all trapped in bubble things, and you had to collect buildings and rebuild it, with bonuses for placing houses next to certain other ones etc.

Edit: Argh, ninja'd while typing.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 23, 2014, 01:26:01 pm »

Alright the game I'm looking for is some sort of GBA beat em up with RPG elements, I think. I remeber that you had a character select screen at the beggining of the game and that one of the character was an humanoid wolf. I also remember the game's name having phoenix in it.
Not sure about "phoenix", but one action-RPG-beat-em-up game I know is Shining Soul, and Shining Soul II has a wolf character named Zachs in it.

Character select:

That's the one. I guess I just kind of forgot the actual name of the game.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:27 pm »

Dark Cloud?
That's the one! I didn't remember the storybook, but looking at the genie I can tell it's the same. Thanks!
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 31, 2014, 11:25:32 pm »

Looking for a game name. Been wondering if it's improved or died.

It was a side-scroller action game, I believe open source, that was basically a mash up of a bunch of the popular SNES games. You could select one of a variety of popular characters and they would control very differently. Mega Man would have a ranged attack and a fairly weak jump, for example, while Mario had a stronger jump but could only kill things by jumping on them. The "world" map was similar-ish to Super Mario Brothers 3.

At the time I tried it (months ago), it was pretty junky. The engine was terrible and had atrocious loading times, and the controls in general were hard to get used to because they couldn't be rebound and it didn't recognize controllers very well (if at all), necessitating the use of the poor hardbound keyboard controls.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 31, 2014, 11:50:26 pm »

It was a side-scroller action game, I believe open source, that was basically a mash up of a bunch of the popular SNES games. You could select one of a variety of popular characters and they would control very differently. Mega Man would have a ranged attack and a fairly weak jump, for example, while Mario had a stronger jump but could only kill things by jumping on them. The "world" map was similar-ish to Super Mario Brothers 3.

At the time I tried it (months ago), it was pretty junky. The engine was terrible and had atrocious loading times, and the controls in general were hard to get used to because they couldn't be rebound and it didn't recognize controllers very well (if at all), necessitating the use of the poor hardbound keyboard controls.
Super Mario Bros. Crossover - http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Not sure if anything's been improved since then, because I usually play on the keyboard and the load times seem normal.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:45 am »

That's very close to what I am thinking of, except there doesn't appear to be a world map and, in what I am thinking of, it was not flash. (It is possible that what I played was an earlier iteration of this same game and they ported it to flash because the original engine was terrible.)

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 01, 2014, 11:30:39 am »

Is it Mushroom Kingdom Fusion? (The newest update is on their forum, here.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: February 01, 2014, 11:32:26 am »

You maaay be thinking of SMBX, or some variation on it (likely a variation, since the base doesn't have Megaman). Actually think there was a third project besides the flash game and SMBX that did a mario crossover thing, but the name's escaping me at the moment...

Ninja'd: Ooh, that's the other one. And probably the one you're thinking of Niv.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 01, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »

Is it Mushroom Kingdom Fusion? (The newest update is on their forum, here.)

Yep, that's the one. Looks like it hasn't updated since I tried it (apparently I still had the v53 zip in my temp folder). Also looks like the project's dead. Some devs moved on to Super Mario Fusion: Revival but that project is also pretty old, last release being April 2013 (ironically, that's about the same time that I downloaded v53 of MKF).

Thanks for the help, Frumple and Bulldog.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: February 06, 2014, 11:22:34 am »

There was an online, singleplayer dungeon-crawling game, that used one of the old dnd rule sets for generating a dungeon as the dungeon.  You could choose between several classes, though some needed to be unlocked first.  When they retire, your characters become inhabitants of the town and unlock items, gear, things like that.  I'm pretty sure it is a fairly recent game.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:29 am »

There was an online, singleplayer dungeon-crawling game, that used one of the old dnd rule sets for generating a dungeon as the dungeon.  You could choose between several classes, though some needed to be unlocked first.  When they retire, your characters become inhabitants of the town and unlock items, gear, things like that.  I'm pretty sure it is a fairly recent game.
I believe you're referring to Dungeon Robber.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:50 am »

That's it.  Couldn't google it, because there's an awful lot of noise in searches that involve the words 'dnd ruleset dungeon'.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 06, 2014, 11:45:51 am »

Another one I played a PS1 demo of. It was a 3D third-person game. You started as a female character, in a cell with a guard outside. For some reason, there was a window, and sitting on it would cause him to come-a runnin'. I never saw anything but this, since 4-year-old me had no idea how to fight the guard, and would simply stand there getting punched until he lost.

Mustard Elemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »

I remember a flash game where you are a stickman with a lance competing in tournaments, When you enter a tournament you are dropped onto a sort of planetoid, and you jump between planetoids trying to stab the other stickmen in the back, who also have lances. Anyone know what its called?
The military is all gathered in one huge mass on top of the ramp to the mountaintop, where the entrance is. Apparently they spend their time taking potshots at owls, pushing babies off the ledge, and giggling.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 204