Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375458 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time for something a little different, I need help finding a board game.

Huh, almost but not-quite Talisman.  What with the individual home castles, definitely not.  Otherwise, it would be a ringer.  Are you sure you're not confusing multiple games?  (various Talisman versions compared here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqiEOqLZvA )

No chance it was Dragon Strike?  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1149/dragon-strike

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

Huh, almost but not-quite Talisman.  What with the individual home castles, definitely not.  Otherwise, it would be a ringer.  Are you sure you're not confusing multiple games?  (various Talisman versions compared here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqiEOqLZvA )

No chance it was Dragon Strike?  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1149/dragon-strike

No it's definitely not Talisman and the other one doesn't look right either. I am certain this is just one game (I have only ever owned the one fantasy board game and the only other ones I have played have been much too recent for me to have forgotten them :p).

There are a few more things that I remember about the game from looking at the Dragon Strike one you suggested.

1) The game had a single solid gameboard (No assembly required.)
2) The only miniatures were the player pieces, and as mentioned they were solid tin/pewter.
3) Your health (I think) was represented by small round black markers and your money by small round yellow ones.
4) There were no dungeons or anything like that, just the overworld map.
5) I am fairly certain the castle to the lowest right of the game board was in a swamp. I remember because it always prompted "I built a castle in the swamp"-jokes.

I really want it back now that I am at Uni and actually have a group of people willing to get into the rules for a game like this, my family tried a couple times but I think we only ever finished the game one time because someone always got bored, then when I moved away my father gave it away to some kid next doors (who's family has since moved.) since he didn't think it would ever be used... And yeah I have tried asking my father but he can't remember the name either.

EDIT: All this searching reminds me I have to get my board game group to invest in Shadows over Camelot.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:51:57 am by Aptus »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was an old DOS game in which you were a pizza deliveryman (?) in a post-apocalyptic (?) world. You had to drive between fortified bunkers delivering pizza. Occasionally, earthquakes happened, forcing your truck/buggy/whatever to stop and even changing the terrain (if I recall correctly).
I used to play it when I was around 4 years old. I don't know when it was actually released, but it had primitive 3D graphics. Apparently, it was made in the early 1990s.

This wouldn't happen to be the right thing, would it?

Pakoon!
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile

No it's definitely not Talisman and the other one doesn't look right either. I am certain this is just one game (I have only ever owned the one fantasy board game and the only other ones I have played have been much too recent for me to have forgotten them :p).

There are a few more things that I remember about the game from looking at the Dragon Strike one you suggested.

2) The only miniatures were the player pieces, and as mentioned they were solid tin/pewter.
3) Your health (I think) was represented by small round black markers and your money by small round yellow ones.
5) I am fairly certain the castle to the lowest right of the game board was in a swamp. I remember because it always prompted "I built a castle in the swamp"-jokes.

I really want it back now that I am at Uni and actually have a group of people willing to get into the rules for a game like this, my family tried a couple times but I think we only ever finished the game one time because someone always got bored, then when I moved away my father gave it away to some kid next doors (who's family has since moved.) since he didn't think it would ever be used... And yeah I have tried asking my father but he can't remember the name either.

EDIT: All this searching reminds me I have to get my board game group to invest in Shadows over Camelot.

Boardgamegeek.com suggests Kalahen.

"The aim of this game is to find a formula, which consists of 3 parchment sheets, and bring them back to your own castle, where a dragon awaits you. To make being successful in battle against different monsters or other players easier, you need to collect money, equipment and magic rings."
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile

Boardgamegeek.com suggests Kalahen.

"The aim of this game is to find a formula, which consists of 3 parchment sheets, and bring them back to your own castle, where a dragon awaits you. To make being successful in battle against different monsters or other players easier, you need to collect money, equipment and magic rings."

Boom that is it! Sadly none of my usual places seem to have it in stock so I guess it is time to check the auctioning sites.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile

Alright so, this one has been bugging me for a LONG time, but I don't remember much.

The game was for the original DS and it had you digging up rocks/fossils and you would have to hum or sing or something at the right pitch to get it to 'awaken' and have a creature come out that you would have to train up.  You also dug up these collectible cubes, each named after the Greek alphabet: Alpha cube, Beta cube, Zeta cube, Omega cube, etc.
It had a vaguely Pokemon Colosseum feel to it, especially near the end.  I think it had an X or a Z in the name, which I forget.

Takes place in the future by the way(pretty sure there was a spaceship in it)

EDIT: They made a sequel to it after the DSi or the DS lite came out.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright so, this one has been bugging me for a LONG time, but I don't remember much.

The game was for the original DS and it had you digging up rocks/fossils and you would have to hum or sing or something at the right pitch to get it to 'awaken' and have a creature come out that you would have to train up.  You also dug up these collectible cubes, each named after the Greek alphabet: Alpha cube, Beta cube, Zeta cube, Omega cube, etc.
It had a vaguely Pokemon Colosseum feel to it, especially near the end.  I think it had an X or a Z in the name, which I forget.

Would that be Fossil Fighters?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_Fighters

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile

No, not fossil fighters.  I think it came out before then, and the monsters were not based on dinosaurs.
I think it was sort-of serious too.

EDIT: AHA!  After browsing the list of DS games on wikipedia for an hour or so I have found it!  It was Spectrobes!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:55:14 pm by Cthulufaic »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, not fossil fighters.  I think it came out before then, and the monsters were not based on dinosaurs.
I think it was sort-of serious too.

EDIT: AHA!  After browsing the list of DS games on wikipedia for an hour or so I have found it!  It was Spectrobes!

Was just going to say that too haha. How many digging fossils fighting monsters games are there?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile

A very old game I remember from C64.

Basically you had this little guy who was wandering about strange maze-castle-forest thing. He had 3 slots for items, which were moving in his inventory in order of your pickups, so if you picked 4th item, the 1st you got was dropped.

I remember he had a health bar healed by food and that there were differently colored keys and doors.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, i need help, can't remember the game and the problem is I did not played it, but saw some videos about it long time ago...

Its not a old game, maybe 3 to 5 years old. Its a 2d real time strategy game, where the camera is from the side, like in teraria. You go from mision to mision, where you control a small army of human like units. The art is nice, reminds me little of world of goo with dark shaped units. The control is done indirectly, and is very simplistic (you can not control any unit directly), and most of time you are fighting some big huge boss like monsters.

The biggest problem is the game didn't come out for PC, but i dont know did it come out on consoles or mobile phones. I suspect Wii or mobiles because of simplistic/strange controls.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of a PC rpg I remember from when I was kid. it would be late 1990s or _very_ early 2000s. It was a 3d graphics (pretty sure about this) Rpg. What I remember most distinctly was that the jewel case had a pentagram or a pentacost on it and a dragon. I'm pretty sure it was an asian style dragon and gold. Any thoughts?

I thought it was betrayal at krondor, but I was wrong.

EDIT: I think it may be soulbringer
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:55:41 pm by GMichelIV »
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not a old game, maybe 3 to 5 years old. Its a 2d real time strategy game, where the camera is from the side

2D RTS Side Scroller with Humans on mobile platforms?  Swords and Soldiers?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, i need help, can't remember the game and the problem is I did not played it, but saw some videos about it long time ago...

Its not a old game, maybe 3 to 5 years old. Its a 2d real time strategy game, where the camera is from the side, like in teraria. You go from mision to mision, where you control a small army of human like units. The art is nice, reminds me little of world of goo with dark shaped units. The control is done indirectly, and is very simplistic (you can not control any unit directly), and most of time you are fighting some big huge boss like monsters.

The biggest problem is the game didn't come out for PC, but i dont know did it come out on consoles or mobile phones. I suspect Wii or mobiles because of simplistic/strange controls.

Was it Patapon?

I dunno if those controls are simplistic though. Certainly strange. Also not actually a strategy game, so I dunno. First thing I thought of when I saw World of Goo-like art.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its not a old game, maybe 3 to 5 years old. Its a 2d real time strategy game, where the camera is from the side

2D RTS Side Scroller with Humans on mobile platforms?  Swords and Soldiers?

No, you have that on PC also.
Its funny how i tried to google the game for two days now, and just when i was eating it comes to my mind the word pata.
The game name is patapon and is for PSP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hwKdwFX8M
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 204