Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 375750 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears so!
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Hey guys, perhaps one of you might figure this one out for me.

It's a top down spaceship action arena (the maps were a limited size you could set when you started a match) type game in which you fly around converting planets, building them up with a ray-type weapon that increases its "rating", eventually turning them into planets that shoot small bombs and lasers at your enemies - other ships with the same objectives (players or CPU controlled). The goal was to make your enemies and their planets extinct, whether converting the planets or not.

The map was grid based, the lines of which were displayed on screen as you flew past as well as on the minimap. I don't remember how you get different weapons, but I definitely remember nuclear type bombs (slow-moving orange balls good for killing planets) that, after hitting a planet, explode in an increasing orange circle as well as shake your screen. There were definitely also lasers that were really thin and purple, if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure they didn't persist - I don't remember if any weapon shot outside your screen of view.

After re-reading this it kind of sounds generic, but that's all I can remember. I can picture it pretty well in my mind but it still looks somewhat generic. I don't remember what the ships nor the different races looked like. Also, in terms of era, it was maybe about late 90s, early 00s and for the PC?

Thanks for any help.

OH, oh! Almost certainly Warpath. Whether 'classic' or the 'new' (still old) one, who knows. They're both free now though, and kinda abandoned. But hey.

Newest iteration, in permanent vaporware "beta" (But quite playable) status: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath21.htm

Too bad this guy hasn't made any development on his games in years and years. Some of them seemed to have potential...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile

A game from the eighties,
platform: C64, genre: sort of towerdefence
You controlled a ladybug-like avatar and was tasked to grow foodstuffs for export. Each season a ship would erive and your produce shipped out. meanwhile you could build farmplots and other buildings such as fences and turrets to defend against alien bugs that would attack your farm. iirc you could blast these attackers yourself, but the defences delayed them long enough that they would not graw at your plots.
It was not M.U.L.E. nor Bugblaster.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zammon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SNIP

OH, oh! Almost certainly Warpath. Whether 'classic' or the 'new' (still old) one, who knows. They're both free now though, and kinda abandoned. But hey.

Newest iteration, in permanent vaporware "beta" (But quite playable) status: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath21.htm

Too bad this guy hasn't made any development on his games in years and years. Some of them seemed to have potential...

I... freaking... love you so much right now! Annnnnd oh hey it's the Well of Souls developer. Maybe that's how I found out about this game originally. But seriously thanks a lot for the help!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Let's see...

It was a pirate game. You played at an isometric angle and you controlled a ship. Levels were 3D with islands and you had to shoot enemy ships, firing a cannon that shot big iron balls. I believe there was also alien spaceships, and possibly bomb dropping parrots.

It was quite silly, kind of like the ship-to-ship combat in Curse of Monkey Island.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Let's see...

It was a pirate game. You played at an isometric angle and you controlled a ship. Levels were 3D with islands and you had to shoot enemy ships, firing a cannon that shot big iron balls. I believe there was also alien spaceships, and possibly bomb dropping parrots.

It was quite silly, kind of like the ship-to-ship combat in Curse of Monkey Island.

Shipwreckers!/Overboard!, all depending on whether you played the US or UK version.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Let's see...

Shipwreckers!/Overboard!, all depending on whether you played the US or UK version.

Overboard sounds more familiar then Shipwreckers, thanks te ye! Though my minds eye remembered it with better graphics than that, funny how things blur.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, this one is kind of vague. I'm not entirely sure if it's out yet, but I think it may be a sequel, or at least not the first in the franchise.

It's a space game, strategy I think, where you can design your own ships. The thing I remember most that there were drones that you could suit up for different purposes (mining, scouting, attacking, kamikaze, etc) and because there was no crew it saved a lot of space and money and build time. That's all I have to go on, sorry.

Though, I have a slight hunch I'm thinking of X:Rebirth. Not sure though.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

space empires 4 or 5?? or maybe even older!?!?!?!?  :o
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

It was a maths learning game. Set in a fairground. Doing the puzzle things earned you the ability to buy novelty prizes that mostly made annoying noises. The leading character was almost certainly an anthropomorphic animal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SE4:gold was the first in the franchise to include drones, as far as I remember (was an update to SE4, some years after the original release).

But there is basically no possible way to mistake the SE series for one of the X:whatever games.  one is turn based empire builder with tiles and sprites.  The other is a 3-d fly-from-your-cockpit game.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thats why i said maybe even older: i havent played the older ones lol
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Dredonius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There was this one game. It was online, and pc-based. The entire world was player-created (drawn with a pixel tool) and it had a system where if you clicked a part of the world, you could go deeper into a weird, player created world. One of these worlds was very loosely based on Minecraft, and by clicking on parts of it you could dig, build, or go left and right. I've been looking for this game everywhere, and I would be very grateful if someone found it. They might even get a cookie.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile

There was a game where you had to chase alien-ish creatures, but not to kill them, I think you had to become friends. Yes, it was a game for kids. The creatures would have a different word each, some sort of hint, which you could hear them say every now and then. Some of the words (Dutch version) included "Katoen" (cotton) and "Bouwmateriaal" (Building materials). It is possible they said something different in the English version (if there ever was any).

After completion of a level, you would be rewarded a sort of trophy related to the creature, I think it was a kind of (sliding?) puzzle minigame/toy.

I hope they had it in English, will be hell to find if they didn't. Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

I dislike not remembering the name of games, even if I have no intention of playing them again, so...

One more!

This time it's an arcade game. It was one of those with a built in seat like for racing, enclosed with a roof and walls. The game itself was a 3D fighting game where two players would chose from a selection of giant mechs to battle it out in a 3D enviroment.

I remember the mechs being more bulky like in Mechwarrior, and not sleek like Gundam. You could fly using jets and some mechs were able to shoot missiles. Possibly also lasers, machine guns and homing missiles.

That's really about all I remember, though I don't think there's that many fighting games that involve such elements.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 204