Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376025 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #630 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:04 am »

If it was sort of post-apocalyptic then you're looking for Caravaneer. Can't remember treasure chests though.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 11, 2011, 09:39:03 am »

Nope, sorry, it was more of a medieval, developing setting.  Some places were complete backwards hovels, others were shining centers for trade and development. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 11, 2011, 09:41:21 am »

Maybe it's Frontier?

If you liked Frontier, I highly recommend Caravaneer.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:10 am »

THANK YOU!!!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 11, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

Ok, here's a challenge...

I'm trying to remember the name of an arcade game I played a long time ago; it was too long ago for me to know for certain what year, but I'm guessing about 1985 (yes I am that old.)

It was a side-scrolling shooter with minor platform elements, in which you played a guy in a spacesuit who could walk left and right and also jump using a kind of jet-pack.

You could pick up power-ups which changed your gun - there was one that fired bombs as well as the standard bullets, one that fired a whole wall of bullets as high as your character, and others.

The main feature that distinguished it from other games at the time was that at the beginning you could choose from around 5 different planets to go to, and each had different levels and missions; there was one that had dinosaurs and stuff. If you completed some levels on a planet, you could go back and choose a different planet.

Note the game I am looking for is not Side Arms, which I remember playing at around the same time and which had certain similarities. This game had more primitive graphics, and you were limited to walking + jumping rather than flying around freely. It also had the choice of planets as detailed above.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 11, 2011, 11:21:11 am »

Warning, moderate sized wall of text ahead.

There are 2 different games that I'm looking for.

The first game I remember playing at a game website called bonus.com (which has now been replaced by some kind of lottery website *sadface*) and it went something like this.

You first start out by customizing your character by choosing your race (human, elf, halfling, dwarf) and choosing your class (cleric, fighter, mage, thief). You then customize your stats of strength, endurance, speed, and magic(?) which will later influence your future stat growths as you progress through the game.

Most of the events and descriptions are text based. The only graphics of the game are drawn picture slides of the town, the town outskirts, and the various monsters and enemies and bosses that you meet.

Every time you defeat a boss, you will face stronger and more powerful enemies.

Now I'm not completely certain, but I believe the bosses were:
1. A barbarian lady person
2. A red dragon
3. A warlock
4. Some big heavy fighting creature
Until the end when you have to fight this mysterious shadow figure boss who I believe transforms into different things  once its health grows low enough.

Now the second game might be a bit less heard of.
I remember it was a turn-based tactics sort of game where you control a party of ~4 (or was it 5?) characters to take on different opponents on a tile-based map.
The graphics were simple and if I remember correctly, they were like sprites moving around on a grid.

Each unit had its own hp amount as well as something similar to a shield amount (which I believed the game called "focus" or "defense" or something along the lines of those). A unit's "defense" was the first thing that took damage and it would recover by 10 per turn, but once it reaches 0, any incoming damage would directly hurt the unit's hp (similar to how starcraft protoss shields work).

A unit had 2 basic physical abilities. "slug" (punch the opponent), and "grapple" (reduce the opponent's movement). More abilities and spells could be learned later on.

But that's all I remember about these games.

Anyone happen to know what these games might be?
I remember playing them nearly 10 years ago, so I can't really remember their names anymore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:23:58 am by noodle0117 »

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 11, 2011, 11:39:57 am »

Okay I REALLY REALLY hope someone answers this. I have posted 3 requests and only 1 one them got done but whatevah! I trust you guys.
So this game was a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy. It was on the NES and I remember it had mind blowing graphics(battle sprites for enemies). IIRC it also was filled with surfer lingo.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:42 am »

OK, here's one:

In this game, you play as a paladin (though I'm not 100% sure the game actually calls you one).

The game is played from a sprite-based, mostly top-down (maybe cavalier) perspective. The game is played in real time, but combat is turn-based. Moving around feels quite a bit like Legend of Zelda, in how you move from area to area and how you move around enemies. The graphics are better than Zelda though.

When you run into an opponent the game pauses, a combat window opens on the right with pictures of the relevant enemies, and it enters a turned based combat mode where you basically take turns swinging at each other. If I recall correctly, you clicked on the picture of an enemy to attack it. Killing enemies will net you loot and XP, as per standard RPG fare.

I don't recall much of the plot, but I distinctly recall fighting blood bats, and I vaguely recall something about an ice lich.

You have a health bar, and some sort of "faith" bar that works like mana (getting depleted from casting spells). You can recharge it once per level by praying at a church in the starting town (Doing so opens a text prompt where you walk with God or some such).

You also can buy new weapons and shields. Like at the very beginning of the game, I remember it was best to spend all of your money to trade in your dagger for a sword.

I actually first played it on a windows 95 system. I might have gotten it from a cd of old games - so it might conceivably be a windows 3.x game, but for some reason I have always had the impression it was a DOS game.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #638 on: September 11, 2011, 12:03:13 pm »

I think this thread should be stickied, it is in fact WAY more useful to have this stickied than the other Free Games thread. This thread reduces clutter.

I vote for sticky this thread!

EDIT: I think we may need to actually create a new thread or something with someone who is active managing it. Not sure if Xotes is still around.
I got nothing

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »

Okay I REALLY REALLY hope someone answers this. I have posted 3 requests and only 1 one them got done but whatevah! I trust you guys.
So this game was a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy. It was on the NES and I remember it had mind blowing graphics(battle sprites for enemies). IIRC it also was filled with surfer lingo.

Mind blowing graphics? NES? Are you sure you don't mean the SNES? Graphics on the NES wasn't impressive even when it was the leading console, but there are several games on the SNES that have almost unbelievably good graphics considering the system.

Only RPG I can think of that might have had some surfer lingo in it is Earthbound, although its graphics looked like they were made in MSPaint.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 11, 2011, 08:55:27 pm »

Mind blowing graphics? NES? Are you sure you don't mean the SNES? Graphics on the NES wasn't impressive even when it was the leading console, but there are several games on the SNES that have almost unbelievably good graphics considering the system.

Only RPG I can think of that might have had some surfer lingo in it is Earthbound, although its graphics looked like they were made in MSPaint.
That is why it was quite revolutionary.
In usual RPGs the battle area had two layers. Background and foregroun.
The background contains the backdrop in which you are fighting and the foreground contains the things you are fighting. That game completely cut off the foreground and made the enemies the whole background.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 11, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

The background contains the backdrop in which you are fighting and the foreground contains the things you are fighting. That game completely cut off the foreground and made the enemies the whole background.

Could you be referring to Lufia 1?  You walk around on a normal map and when you get into a fight, the map dims and you see the monster's sprite over it.  But that was an SNES game.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »

Could you be referring to Lufia 1?  You walk around on a normal map and when you get into a fight, the map dims and you see the monster's sprite over it.  But that was an SNES game.

Nah I know lufia too well to forget.
It was on NES. Now I am sure of it. Also it had random encounters unlike lufia's puzzle dungeons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:24 am »

Was it in English or Japanese? English would seriously narrow the possibilities down, because there's a veritable frakton of various RPGs on that system, most too obscure to leave Japan.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 12, 2011, 02:18:20 am »

Was it in English or Japanese? English would seriously narrow the possibilities down, because there's a veritable frakton of various RPGs on that system, most too obscure to leave Japan.

English. The manual was filled with gratitious surfer lingo
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 204