Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376127 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Unless someone recently's ripped off/been inspired by Cannon Fodder, that's what you're talking about.

Remember anything about the control scheme, etc?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

I remember this game, it might be a flash game but I dunno. Basically you have to win a war by sending troops to battle, and they all have their own name. Every time one of them died a tombstone with their name would pop up and soon the whole area would be filled with tombstones.

Other than that I have no idea what else was in it.

Cannon Fodder, I think.
I don't think thats it, you'd basically be sending soldiers through a mountain like valley. And the longer the war lasts more tombstones pop up. It has 8-bit like graphics, if that helps.

I remember it clearly because it had an interesting message that was sent out, with all of the troops constantly dying and the war never ends.

That's sounds very much like Cannon Fodder (or a possible ripoff). The game was a wargame and a satire of a wargame - that's why each soldier had a name and those tombstones kept popping up.

What annoys me the most is that I actually have a game I need to ask about, but I can remember so very little about it I can't describe it. >:/

EDIT: Fixed that url tag
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:21:21 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Wait thats the game, the problem was I only remember the sending soldiers to battle part. Not the actual gameplay.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

What annoys me the most is that I actually have a game I need to ask about, but I can remember so very little about it I can't describe it. >:/

Ask with whatever vague details you have.  For all you know, we might be able to ID it by the color of its box.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ask with whatever vague details you have.  For all you know, we might be able to ID it by the color of its box.

Well, the best details I can give you is that it's a platformer for Windows or DOS (Windows 3.1 was what I ran it with... I think) and it's possibly from the Dominator 2 disc (which I may still have there lying around, so I could check whether it's there... gotta do so). I was a kid back then and if I recall correctly the game had some adventuring puzzle elements I couldn't figure out back then, so I didn't play it much. Which is exactly why I'd like to find it and show that game who's the boss now!

Apart from those very vague things, I only recall a screen which was almost totally black, with the exception of the character, floor below him and a something valuable-looking (a crown maybe) at the top, out of my reach. I recall also getting that crown at some point but have no memory on how I did it at all. I think the character was colored... gray, maybe, and the graphics were rather bleak.

With this skimpy details I won't be expecting the right answer, so it'll be a pleasant surprise if someone actually knows it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:42:27 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dangerous Dave maybe? *shrug*
Decided to try a wikipedia crawl on it. That's the best match I could find so far and it's not really a puzzle game.

Though I have to thank you in that in the process of searching for it, I discovered two games of my childhood that I had essentially forgotten.
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Monster Bash

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile

"beneath a steel sky" ?

There is that other game this reminds me of, that was pretty gritty scifi. I remember it was seen from the side, like the original Prince of Persia, and you were running from the police from the start, many actions led to your being vaporized by laser fire. Early on you made friends with a huge whiteskinned alien in black blothes IIRC it was situated on a snowy alien planet. My memory hints the title was something pretty short and cool. Definately a DOS game.
I accidentally found the name of the tree climbing adventure game I played on the C=64, but did not understand at the time. Below the Root 
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"beneath a steel sky" ?

There is that other game this reminds me of, that was pretty gritty scifi. I remember it was seen from the side, like the original Prince of Persia, and you were running from the police from the start, many actions led to your being vaporized by laser fire. Early on you made friends with a huge whiteskinned alien in black blothes IIRC it was situated on a snowy alien planet. My memory hints the title was something pretty short and cool. Definately a DOS game.
I accidentally found the name of the tree climbing adventure game I played on the C=64, but did not understand at the time. Below the Root 
There was Out of this World (also called Another World) and Flashback that sort of fit the description, but I don't recall a black screen with a single object in either of them. Another similar game was Blackthorne, but I never finished nor saw it finished, so I can't deny/confirm the existence of a dank screen there.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, it's none of these. The graphics were more rudimentary... I must really do a check on the Dominator disk.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile

Plump helmet did a let's play of it on YouTube and I can't look it up because my comp doesn't work. It's a space game free form with 4 different scenarios and a whole bunch of mods (I think)
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile

Another World, that s the one! :)

Maybe "Warning Forever" Elfeater?
It has 'rudimentary' stylistic pure-colour, but high res graphics.
A bit short on single player scenarios, but with an editor and sandbox gameplay.

edit: oh sorry I combined the previous two posts into one game description. :doh!:

===
Sins of a Solar Empire ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:49:33 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Plump helmet did a let's play of it on YouTube and I can't look it up because my comp doesn't work. It's a space game free form with 4 different scenarios and a whole bunch of mods (I think)

The user PlumpHelmetPunk?

Could be either "X3TC", that's a space game he did an LP of that seems to fit the bill.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile

The user PlumpHelmetPunk?

Could be either "X3TC", that's a space game he did an LP of that seems to fit the bill.
yeah plump helmet punk and thanks
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another World, that s the one! :)

That was re-released a couple years back with high res graphics in the same style.  Basically the author resampled the original paintings.  It was very cool and well worth the couple of bucks it ccost.

Also, there was a little known sequel called Heart of the Alien where you played as the big guy...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile

It's a slow paced space game with very simple mechanics and you have 9 months to live the combat is slow and there are roman deer (Jefmajor did a video of it)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 204