Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376264 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #360 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »

I found it. The game is Conquer on Contact if anyone else cares.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 25, 2011, 10:16:43 am »

I've been searching for this old (1999-2000) 4x space exploration game that I remember having lots of fun with. It was the standard research technology, colonize planets deal, but I want to find it to see what it was really like. I do remember it had a name starting with an 'A,' and I could have sworn it was Ascension, but it isn't. I also remember always playing as a race that could steal technology from another race, and a particular insect-like race that would never, ever go to war and bugged you to no end for peace. Sound familiar to anyone?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2011, 10:18:19 am »

Ascendancy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascendancy_%28video_game%29

The years don't match(1995), and I don't remember much about the races, but it's the only one that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:21:29 am by Il Palazzo »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2011, 10:21:38 am »

There we go, that's it. Thank you!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »

I don't remember any of the races trying to ask for peace, except that rodent-like(Baliflids) one whose racial power causes everyone at war with them to go to peace(without telling you, if I remember correctly). Of course, that's not exactly asking for peace. Most just go to war invariably at some point, since diplomacy with a computer player is always worthless in most any game. This game could have used a multiplayer function though.

The Chamachies(lizardmen-like things) are grossly overpowered in this game, simply because of their racial power(instant research).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:17 am »

I'm looking for  a sim-city like game, that focused on traffic policies (where to run busses, which traffic lights to make asymmetrical, how to make people favor public transport, wether to buy cheap or clean transports- that sort of thing). I saw it on this very forum about half a year ago.
Here's what I remember:
The graphics weren't very good, but practical.
The game was made by some europeans (I think it was a university of some sort)
The game was either free, or had an overly full demo (I don't remember whether they wanted you to buy something, or wanted a donation...)
you could lay roads, plan bus routes, set speed limits, and chnage the duration of traffic lights.
you could do all sorts of sim-city like stuff, like zoning land, setting taxes (there were definitely taxes on cars and gasoline), as well as building 'special' buildings like malls, parks, and stadiums.
also, if you didn't set low speed limits in front of schools, the game (citizens?) would be upset with you.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2011, 06:35:51 am »

Cities in motion?

It sounds like what you're saying.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24:24 am »

no, the graphics were not 3d (or at least they might have been simple pre rendered-3d).

Also, I don't think you can do city planning in Cities in Motion...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2011, 07:34:22 am »

I think that might be it. thanks!

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I gave myself a jolt of nostalgia by looking through the archived Your Sinclair magazines from the late eighties, but through that I've remembered something else that I want to try and find out what it was.

It's an old text adventure game, no graphics whatsoever as I recall. It's set in a modern day home, and all I remember was exploring an attic, where there was some sort of door to another world/universe... It's pretty vague, but some Infocom fan here might know :)

I think I played it on the Acorn Archimedes, but I could be wrong. In any case, if it was made for the Infocom parser it could've been on any platform really.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

It's an old text adventure game, no graphics whatsoever as I recall. It's set in a modern day home, and all I remember was exploring an attic, where there was some sort of door to another world/universe... It's pretty vague, but some Infocom fan here might know :)
I know I've played that!

I need to dig up the name, though...

Edit:  Aha!  Was it Curses?  It came out in '93.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:29:23 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crikey, nice work there! :D

I doubt I'll ever get around to playing it at any length, but I remember playing this back in, ooh, must've been 1995 or thereabouts...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please help me find this game! I know little about it other than this:
1)It was a game on the Super Nintendo.
2) The story was this: that terrorists united together into an organization and took over the world. They then encountered an alien race and is now at war with the aliens. You control as a member of the Terrorists' space navy, and your goal is to destroy aliens.
3) It's a standard shoot-them-up, you control a ship and shoot down enemy alien units.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll give a shot. I was searching for this game for centuries. Here's what I know it:
It's  a fantasy isometric rts, with different cultures/races, the only I can remember are humans and giants. It reminded me of Age of Empires.
It was for windows 98, i don't think xp was out by then. So 1996-2003 are possible release dates.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 204