Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376111 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

I'm searching for a strategy game. It was a shareware one-hour limited gameplay just like games in popcap.
The setting was egypt (I believe, not sure). You developed cities, sent people to mines to develop technology (Yeah I know, weird)
And after a set of time there was an attack on your cities and you had to defend.
Also people were the resource. It's all I can remember. Please help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_(video_game)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I guess I'll try this, although I don't have much information.  Like I mentioned in the Netstorm thread, I saw three games at Big Lots, and promptly forgot their names.  I've found two of them, (Netstorm and The War in Heaven) and there's one left.  Let's see if anyone can figure it out.

Alright, it was an RTS, 2d, with pretty cartoony graphics (But not goofy cartoony, just not overly realistic).  I believe the box was gray, and there was a screenshot in the inner flap (It was an old game, with a large box that had a flap on the front, the kind of box you don't see anymore).  The only screenshot I remember had some kind of dragon people or demons, red, with wings and horns, running on a castle wall or otherwise stone surface.  I dunno, the perspective was weird.

That's all I remember.  Anyone have any idea?
Shoes...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was an online game from 2004, it was about mixing DNA of animals, sort of like an evil mastermind thing, where you had a base and you did stuff to earn money and fought with other players mutated hordes....It had a map of your base, but not of your units, which had some movement restrictions for patrols that were kind of weird, it was a slow paced almost like a civ builder. Hope you can find it!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

Alright, it was an RTS, 2d, with pretty cartoony graphics (But not goofy cartoony, just not overly realistic).  I believe the box was gray, and there was a screenshot in the inner flap (It was an old game, with a large box that had a flap on the front, the kind of box you don't see anymore).  The only screenshot I remember had some kind of dragon people or demons, red, with wings and horns, running on a castle wall or otherwise stone surface.  I dunno, the perspective was weird.

That's all I remember.  Anyone have any idea?

Uhh...  The Horde?

Only thing that comes to mind.  But I'm not particularly good at remembering box art for games I don't have, so...

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2010, 07:12:38 am »

Ok, here's a couple.  About 12 years ago, in the heyday of downloadable freeware/shareware stuff, I came across two spaceship games that I liked.  One was a 4X called "Crusade in Space".  I am 95% sure of this title, because I remember that phrase from the end of the intro text, as in "begin your CRUSADE IN SPACE".  Despite quite a lot of searching, I have not been able to find it since.  Does this ring a bell?

Second, there was a freeware computer game somewhat like Star Fleet Battles (I think that's what the tremendously detailed ship-to-ship combat game in the Star Trek universe is called).  It was pretty good, included all the Star Trek races, quite a lot of detailed tactical behavior - shields on different facings, armor on different sides of the ships, and so on.  A bit like Privateer in that respect.  Anyone know what I'm talking about and/or where to find it?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2010, 08:32:13 am »

Second, there was a freeware computer game somewhat like Star Fleet Battles (I think that's what the tremendously detailed ship-to-ship combat game in the Star Trek universe is called).  It was pretty good, included all the Star Trek races, quite a lot of detailed tactical behavior - shields on different facings, armor on different sides of the ships, and so on.  A bit like Privateer in that respect.  Anyone know what I'm talking about and/or where to find it?
I've got something called Begin 2: A Tactical Starship Simulation that sounds just like that. I can't remember where I found it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:25 am »

It was an old dos game similar to Commander Keen, I think it's shareware name is different to it's full software name but the shareware was called Monster Bash or something similar.Damn I miss it  :(

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:54 pm »

It was an old dos game similar to Commander Keen, I think it's shareware name is different to it's full software name but the shareware was called Monster Bash or something similar.Damn I miss it  :(

It's right here, and you had the correct name.  Like a lot of Apogee's games, the first episode was shareware, and later ones were not.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

It was an online game from 2004, it was about mixing DNA of animals, sort of like an evil mastermind thing, where you had a base and you did stuff to earn money and fought with other players mutated hordes....It had a map of your base, but not of your units, which had some movement restrictions for patrols that were kind of weird, it was a slow paced almost like a civ builder. Hope you can find it!

I think it's "impossible creatures"

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »

I thought the same, but I think it did have a map of your units, and it was not very slowpaced. Also, it was not online-only, and if I really want to be picky, it was from 2003 ;)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2010, 03:36:40 pm »

Kind of an interesting thread. My game I can't remember the plot or anything at all, so...
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »

I thought the same, but I think it did have a map of your units, and it was not very slowpaced. Also, it was not online-only, and if I really want to be picky, it was from 2003 ;)
This one was free and browser based though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:16 am »

Two Indie Games, I think They Were Made By Same Company, but not sure:

#1: You played as an historian of migration patterns who work for a politican. Your goal is to manlipuate migration patterns in order to justify an extremly nationalist view of history, claiming that your group was here first and that the Other came later...One mission had you creating history to justify stripping gypsies of citizenship. (EDIT: Answer found, Opera Omnia)

#2: You play as the Nazi German occupation of Poland. Interface is non-personal, which adds to the horror of being an occucpation force. (EDIT: Answer Found, Kristallnacht)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:21:35 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2010, 02:28:57 pm »

Opera Omnia was awesome and, well, haunting.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

This one was free and browser based though.

Oh, browser based. I've played that. I'll track it down...

Edit: Or maybe I won't. I'm not convinced this thing still exists given how hard it is to find it. I'll add a bit to the original description here in case anyone else knows. The core of the game seemed fairly similar to the other "build a city, build an empire" kinds of browser games, except I think you had a lab to start instead of a city. All of the gameplay was on a grid, like normal. Your "soldiers" were spliced animals that you created from DNA samples. I think there was a marketplace where you could buy and sell samples, but I may be getting my games mixed up. I basically signed up, played around for a few minutes, and didn't pick it back up, so I don't remember a whole lot more.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:48:39 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 204