Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376186 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:59 pm »

Uniracers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2011, 11:49:37 am »

What was that MMO that had a thread here recently, it was reported to be like Eve Online but with robots on planets?
I got nothing

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2011, 05:27:36 pm »

I'm looking for a game that I played when I was young -early 90s or so.  I can't remember if I played it on an old IBM or on Windows 95, but it was space shooter, similar to Space Invaders. 

The difference was that the aliens you shot looked and moved exactly like robotic flying bats, that actually flapped their wings as they flew around the screen.  Their shape was something like this:

---
   ------------@---@-------------
------              ----            ------
---                                         ---
-                                               -

They all had sort of a metallic look to them, if I remember right, and they came in different shapes and colors like purple and green and other bright colors.  I've looked for this game everywhere and have never been able to find it again.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »

Sounds a bit like the Deluxe Galaga we had on Amiga when I was young. I think the enemies on the first level were bats, but they pretty much disappeared after the first level.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »

Sounds like Galaga to me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2011, 05:36:21 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Galaga.  If I remember, I only ever saw these robot bat creatures in the game.  And they didn't fly in any formation either like Galaga's enemies - they simply floated there like bats would.

Oh, one more thing I remembered is that they actually split apart into smaller bats when you shot them.

Edit:  These things actually had real flapping wings as well that, at the time, seemed pretty advanced.  I don't think the enemies in Galaga had moving parts at all.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:39:55 pm by GaelicVigil »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »

They did in Deluxe Galaga, but yeah, bats didn't feature too heavily in that. Not sure what else it could be. I was young back in the early 90s (Probably started gaming around '94), and didn't have very many games at the time.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:24 am »

I'm looking for a game that I played when I was young -early 90s or so.  I can't remember if I played it on an old IBM or on Windows 95, but it was space shooter, similar to Space Invaders. 

The difference was that the aliens you shot looked and moved exactly like robotic flying bats, that actually flapped their wings as they flew around the screen.  Their shape was something like this:

---
   ------------@---@-------------
------              ----            ------
---                                         ---
-                                               -

They all had sort of a metallic look to them, if I remember right, and they came in different shapes and colors like purple and green and other bright colors.  I've looked for this game everywhere and have never been able to find it again.
While that's quite probably not it, there's a game titled "Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom". It's old, and DOS. There's also supposedly a "Revenge of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom" (or "Return"), but I didn't find it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

That sounds KIND of like an old ancient Atari 2600 game.  Um...Damn, I can't remember its name.  D:

But it had things that were either bats or birds, was vaguely Space Invaders ish except nothing to hide behind and they didn't fly in neat formation.  Some levels, when you hit them they split in two, and they were indeed green and purple and stuff.

I don't think it was Phoenix...The graphics seemed better, and I know it was a funky off-brand game that might not have been licensed (it had an angular cartridge and was cool).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2011, 04:28:02 pm »

That sounds KIND of like an old ancient Atari 2600 game.  Um...Damn, I can't remember its name.  D:

But it had things that were either bats or birds, was vaguely Space Invaders ish except nothing to hide behind and they didn't fly in neat formation.  Some levels, when you hit them they split in two, and they were indeed green and purple and stuff.

I don't think it was Phoenix...The graphics seemed better, and I know it was a funky off-brand game that might not have been licensed (it had an angular cartridge and was cool).

Ah, I think you're thinking the same thing as me.  Come to think of it now, it may have been an Atari game.

Edit: I think it is Phoenix, but not the arcade version - the Atari version (which played very different)...but, yeah, I could have sworn that the graphics were a lot better and crisper.  Maybe there is a newer version somewhere.

Edit Again:
Nope, after watching some video, this definitely is not the game I'm thinking of.  The flying creatures in the Atari 2600 version look more like birds and they move too quickly (and the graphics are not as good).

The game I'm thinking of had creatures that were much slower moving, with better animation, and looked more like robotic bats.  I think we're getting close though...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:56:27 pm by GaelicVigil »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2011, 04:58:28 pm »

Ha!  Just found it.  It was Demon Attack.  Awesome, I loved that game.  Thanks for the help!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »

Okay, this one should be easy.

it's sorta like fable (as in you are one person who runs around a world) with permadeath. you choose your character, skills, ect.

You start out in a region that you cannot exit. you must find the castle walls and sneak through the sewers filled with goblins, slimes, and rats. thats the very first part you do. you have to collect 7 artifacts (i think...) to kill the boss monster. it has stuff to do with the celestial gods and priests. in one dungeon you kill a gorgon. has throwing knives. there's a Horn, as one of the artifacts, that i kinda remember.

It's for computer.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:50 pm »

Ha!  Just found it.  It was Demon Attack.  Awesome, I loved that game.  Thanks for the help!
That's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of!  Thank you too!  For some reason I thought the name was only one word.  Yeah, I loved that one, especially the awesome color cycles and crashing-wave noises (if I'm even remembering that part right).  And funny chirping sounds.

I bet I could do a lot better at it now that I'm older >_>

I need to find my old Atari :<
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:44:38 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2011, 12:25:08 pm »

I know it was mentioned on these forums before. I think the name started with Conquer..but maybe it wasn't.

Anyway you were a square with a number on it. Every 15 seconds everyone got one move. Your goal was to get people with a lower number than you and go on squares that added to your number. That was pretty much it. Anyone remember the name? (it was a multiplayer game)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:47:44 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 204