Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376224 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2340 on: November 14, 2016, 12:39:22 pm »

YES THANK YOU YOU BEAUTIFUL FUCKING BASTARD WITH A SIDE OF BASTARD SAUCE.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: November 14, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »

Recommending Advance Wars to someone just before has reminded me of a browser-based game that was, for all intents and purposes, a free Advance Wars clone. This was quite a few years ago that I played it, no idea if it's still around... anyone remember anything of the sort?

I've done a bit of searching for "browser-based Advance Wars clone" but haven't found it.
It definitely wasn't Advance Wars itself, and after glancing at Weewars I'm quite certain it wasn't that, either.
The Battalion series?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: November 14, 2016, 08:06:03 pm »

This one been bugging me for a while. Top down or isometric action/rpg. Played around late 1980s, definitely before 95. I only played it EGA. Pc game obviously.

I believe a range of standard fantasy races or classes. Run around a map with enemy camps and terrain. Missile and melee fighting.

Were playing Moonstone and Tongue of the Fatman around the same time.

Got any more details? Did you have a party, an army, or just yourself? Did it have dungeons? Real time or turn based?

Before 95 rules out Baldur's Gate. Top down/isometric rules out all the gold box games and anything else with a quasi-first-person perspective... Something from the Ultima series would be an obvious guess except you could only play a human.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:56 am »

Good heavens, I just did a couple searches with variants on the specified criteria (EGA isometric RPGs), and came up with a post so close that it is almost surreal.  It couldn't have been so coincidental, but I have to ask if you're looking for the same game as this person six years ago, given the descriptions.  One of the games in that link might be what you're looking for. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:32:20 am by Culise »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: November 15, 2016, 03:56:18 pm »

This one been bugging me for a while. Top down or isometric action/rpg. Played around late 1980s, definitely before 95. I only played it EGA. Pc game obviously.

I believe a range of standard fantasy races or classes. Run around a map with enemy camps and terrain. Missile and melee fighting.

The old Exile series from Spiderweb?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: November 15, 2016, 04:00:30 pm »

Exile (flat sprites) was mid 90's, its remake Avernum (isometric) was on verge of 2000s so they kinda too young to match.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: November 15, 2016, 04:31:18 pm »

Exile (flat sprites) was mid 90's, its remake Avernum (isometric) was on verge of 2000s so they kinda too young to match.

The specification was top-down or isometric, so I had a little hope for the 'or', but you're right, even the old Exile would be a little too young.
---

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: November 15, 2016, 04:39:24 pm »

Knights of Legend maybe?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: November 27, 2016, 11:14:54 pm »

Not a game, exactly, but a rom hack or something similar to it. One of the mario bros hard/masocore ones, the kaizo style stuff. I'm fairly sure it's an SMB3 hack, but not the actual kaizo one (I've watched a few of the TAS goes over the last hour or so to check, heh). Though it's entirely possible it could be one of the other ones, just with those end-level jagged black transition mushroom/flower/star 3 of a kind box thing hacked in.

The main thing I remember is that it had more than one instance where that end of level card box whatsit tried to kill you one way or another*. And... that's the only distinguishing feature I can recall, actually. But it's a pretty distinct one! So hopefully it'll sound familiar to someone.

Do recall I saw it on youtube, pretty sure either a speedrun or a TAS of it, but I can't seem to find it again and kinda' want to watch it once more, heh.

*E: Example I'm fairly sure I'm remembering right is an instance where you approach the box, and instead of doing its normal box thing the star jumps straight up and then comes back down, damaging/killing you if it touches yeh.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:18:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 04, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »

I found an old game on the forums like, 2-3 years ago. It was a pixely kingdom builder made in a day for some contest. I can barely remember it, but it had villagers and resources that you used to make buildings. It was on an island i'm pretty sure.

I wanna say Toady made it, but I can't find it on the Bay12Games website.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: December 15, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »

... anyone happen to remember that roguelike-y (space?) shooter (/shmup) thing that was around some number of years ago (After '00, but... I can't remember how much -- I think it was less than a decade ago but yeah.) that had its major feature being able to go inside weapons and fight it out to upgrade/progress the game? Or something along those lines, where you were basically just fighting your way deeper and deeper into an item. Half-way recall it being an indefinite thing, not something that had a victory condition per se.

Pretty sure it was top down 2D, pixel-y and fairly minimalist graphics, and I want to say it was a vertical shooter. Almost 100% sure it was a PC game, and similarly confident it wasn't a major studio's project. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, and searching and whatnot is causing a great deal of frustration and no results.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »

Inside a Star-filled Sky!
Heh, I almost mentioned Disgaea, when you *obviously* didn't mean Disgaea...  Then I barely remembered this.  It was in my steam library, but hard to search for.  I kinda remember it not being great, but at least you know the name now!

(And I got reminded of a few indie games I did like, and started them reinstalling...  Slightly embarrassing but good)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:29:17 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: December 15, 2016, 08:39:55 pm »

Eeyyuup, that'd be it. Thanks, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: January 05, 2017, 12:49:39 pm »

Okay.

It was a 2d, top-down spaceship game. I remember (from gifs and screenshots) that you could cut through ships with lasers (and the sprites would actually reflect it) and board them--and that there were boarding maps and stuff.

(It's not Unending Galaxy is it?)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: January 05, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »

No--like... you could actually cut swathes away from ships with lasers.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 204