Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 204

Author Topic: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.  (Read 376219 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Forgotten the name of this game?" thread. Ask here to prevent clutter.
« Reply #2325 on: October 30, 2016, 09:01:21 pm »

Yes! That's the one. God, that's the most obscure game in history, apparently. It only exists on CD-ROM format at one university now, apparently without any online mirrors.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 30, 2016, 09:23:17 pm »

Near as I can tell, no one has a screen shot of the thing to share. Online, anyway. When J says it's obscure they're not kidding.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 30, 2016, 09:28:32 pm »

The game was published by the Queensland Department of Education in Australia for use within the public school system in the early '90s and never commercially released. Good luck finding a copy or even a screenshot. It predates Google by about five years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 30, 2016, 09:34:13 pm »

That said, if you're actually in Australia, it looks like the thing's in the library system. Might be able to hit up an interlibrary loan, assuming you've got the hardware to run it. And both you and whoever's holding it is willing to risk the medium it's on :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: November 01, 2016, 06:38:06 am »

The game was published by the Queensland Department of Education in Australia for use within the public school system in the early '90s and never commercially released. Good luck finding a copy or even a screenshot. It predates Google by about five years.
Oh man, I think I played that back in school! The start sounds familiar, at least. I don't think I ever got very far into it, from what I remember other kids were more into it than I was. Plus it would have been pretty old by the time I was in school... maybe it was an entirely different game, I don't know.
I just remember the parachute intro and gathering bits and pieces on an island to try and survive. Pretty hideous graphics too, I think.

Anyway, a (hopefully) much easier one for you all.
I started playing some browser-based strategy game a while back, after seeing it discussed on the Bay12 forums. Some Bay12ers were at a much higher level in the game, managing realms/factions or whatever and discussing their castles and holdings and feuds with other factions.

The gameplay was a lot more, uh, close-up than games like Might and Fealty, I guess.
You controlled a party of characters, who were various classes (I believe archers were supposed to be quite OP), you could explore dungeons and such to gather loot in addition to fighting other players or battling mobs on the overworld map. It had the usual movement limits and that sort of thing, and you could be attacked whilst offline and view a log of combat later on. There were fairly basic tiled graphics, but I don't remember the UI being particularly good or bad.

One major feature was creating and maintaining garrisons across the land. I can't remember it too well, but you had to keep an eye on them and keep soldiers trained and equipped. I believe they were the same as your regular characters, and you could take/drop them off freely. You could also have characters elected as mayor and that sort of thing, but I don't think I got too far into that part of the game.

Another thing I remember was the towns, which could be ruled by either players or NPCs, had shops with a chance of a variety of goods, where you could work to earn money by spending moves or earn it by taking monster hunting/item retrieval jobs, and there were taverns where you could leave party members staying (or just leave them in the street, with a high chance of being robbed or killed). You could get party members resurrected, too, although I can't remember how easy/expensive that was.
I think there was also the option to write graffiti in towns.

Any ideas? Kind of a rambly description I know, but I remembered the game the other day and I'd be interested in getting back into it if there's still a playerbase. Don't think I got particularly far in it, but from what I'd read from other Bay12 players it seemed like it could entertain one for quite a while. Not sure why I stopped playing and forgot about it. Probably got bored of micromanaging and grinding.

Edit: I thought it might have been BattleMaster, but I tried resetting my password over there and it doesn't recognize my email.
Can't see enough screenshots of the game to judge if it's the right one. :-\

2nd Edit: Nope, don't think it was BattleMaster. Pretty sure I tried that once and couldn't get into it at all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:45:27 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: November 01, 2016, 06:43:10 am »

Wurm Online?

We had some players switch to it from Heaven & Hearth back in the days, I think.

EDIT: After re-reading, it won't be Wurm Online :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:46:08 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: November 01, 2016, 06:52:53 am »

Yeah, definitely not. :P
Looks like the sort of game I usually wish I could run.

Update: I found it after searching the Other Games board for "garrison archers". It was the first result- Crown of Conquest!
I wonder if anyone still plays it, and if there's anything left of my character(s). Time to find out.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: November 01, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »

This isn't a game, it's a webcomic.  Hark A Vagrant by Kate Beaton.

There's a comic where a cool bartender serves people a drink by setting it on fire as he pours it.  2-3 people order this.
Then someone orders milk.  He slides the milk over to them.  Then in the next panel tells them to get out of his bar.

This is bugging the heck out of me because usually I'm really good at finding specific comics to use as reaction images (usually xkcd, which is indexed amazingly).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:26 pm »

Sounds like it's time for an archive binge to me!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: November 02, 2016, 07:25:04 pm »

This one been bugging me for a while. Top down or isometric action/rpg. Played around late 1980s, definitely before 95. I only played it EGA. Pc game obviously.

I believe a range of standard fantasy races or classes. Run around a map with enemy camps and terrain. Missile and melee fighting.

Were playing Moonstone and Tongue of the Fatman around the same time.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: November 02, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »

According to a random Reddit post, somebody actually updated it and posted a copy of it online-- eleven years ago. Unfortunately, the link is dead, but it might prove to be fruitful with more digging:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskGames/comments/12bzcn/what_was_the_name_of_this_old_game/c6ur5ok/
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: November 03, 2016, 12:04:49 am »

Not Gauntlet...C'mon :p

I recall there were trees you could walk underneath and other building you could enter. Stairs and bridges even though it was too down.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: November 11, 2016, 08:12:26 pm »

Recommending Advance Wars to someone just before has reminded me of a browser-based game that was, for all intents and purposes, a free Advance Wars clone. This was quite a few years ago that I played it, no idea if it's still around... anyone remember anything of the sort?

I've done a bit of searching for "browser-based Advance Wars clone" but haven't found it.
It definitely wasn't Advance Wars itself, and after glancing at Weewars I'm quite certain it wasn't that, either.

Edit: There was online multiplayer, of course. Should probably mention that.
...Whilst I'm thinking of such games, there was also this old, free (later pay-to-win) browser-based strategy game which took place on some kind of bastardized chessboard, with two players each assembling a team from a variety of units and doing battle, which was fairly standard turn-based strategy combat with bonuses to flanking and AoE attacks and the like.
I actually remember going back and finding this weird game again years later, and discovering it had had an upgrade in terms of graphics- characters had gone from these weird, vaguely crystalline-looking humanoid figures in a flat colour corresponding to their team, to some sort of actual, possibly pixel art characters.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:18:32 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:51 pm »

I know this game exists, I've been on its wiki, and I remember thinking: I need to bookmark this shit before I forget the name.

Now I've forgotten.

So, here's how it works. It's not a video game, it's sort of a pen/paper style- at least in that you never need electronic aids. It's a strict PvP game where each round of the game is last man standing.

The player's start each game with an equal number of power points, and items are dealt/listed for everyone to 'bid' powerpoints on. If you win the bid, you get the item but lose the PP. If you lose, you just get to keep your pp.

Each action after that phase is split between allocating pp pool between attack and defense against your various opponents and trying to leverage your items effectively. Successfully damaging someone reduces their pp pool.

I remember that there are many variants of the game, from superhero to old west to sci-fi space ship battle- BUT I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED AND MY GOOGLE-FU IS FAILING ME.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: November 14, 2016, 03:11:30 am »

I know this game exists, I've been on its wiki, and I remember thinking: I need to bookmark this shit before I forget the name.

Now I've forgotten.

So, here's how it works. It's not a video game, it's sort of a pen/paper style- at least in that you never need electronic aids. It's a strict PvP game where each round of the game is last man standing.

The player's start each game with an equal number of power points, and items are dealt/listed for everyone to 'bid' powerpoints on. If you win the bid, you get the item but lose the PP. If you lose, you just get to keep your pp.

Each action after that phase is split between allocating pp pool between attack and defense against your various opponents and trying to leverage your items effectively. Successfully damaging someone reduces their pp pool.

I remember that there are many variants of the game, from superhero to old west to sci-fi space ship battle- BUT I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CALLED AND MY GOOGLE-FU IS FAILING ME.

Rumble?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 204